News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Side marker lights not working, bad Turn Signal Switch?

Started by Judhudson, September 14, 2014, 07:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

Hi fellow Charger fans,

Trying to troubleshoot an issue with my 73 Charger.  For some reason, none of my side marker lights are working.  I put fresh bulbs in them, but they still don't want to light up or blink.  

So far I have replaced both flasher units (turn signal flasher and hazard flasher).  When I run the hazard flasher, all lights flash except the side marker lights.  They are not working.  As for my turn signal lights, well...I had them working for about 3 minutes, but then they appear to have stopped.  I think this may be the fault of a bad turn signal switch in the steering column, because if I play around with it, I can get it to light up for 1 flash.  

I am curious to know if the side marker lights have any involvement with the turn signal switch in my column, or if I need to troubleshoot somewhere else?  As of now, none of my turn signal lights are working unless I mess with the switch, and that only gets me 1 flash.

I don't suppose it's a fuse, is it?  Not looking forward to digging in my steering column replacing a switch...

ODZKing

The side marker lights on 73-4 do not flash with the blinkers.  Neither the turn signals or the 4 way flashers.
They are only on with the parking and/or headlamps, and simply stay on.
Are they working with the parking lights? If so, your fine.

Judhudson

Well shoot, I am an idiot.  It's been a long 4 years as I just got my car from the bodyshop, so I'm practically having to re-learn everything...    I am so used to side lights blinking on cars.

Excuse me while I go sit in the corner with a dunce cap on :(

But thank you for taking away my worries, all 4 side marker lights do indeed work once you told me that.

fy469rtse

Now you have me thinking,
I might hook mine up to both, on with Parker's and flash with indicators ,
Led's on side markers on a 69 charger, ? What do you think guy's , yes I know , LEDs everywhere now on mine

ODZKing

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 15, 2014, 03:41:50 AM
Led's on side markers on a 69 charger, ? What do you think guy's , yes I know , LEDs everywhere now on mine
Aren't those just reflectors on the 69?   :popcrn:

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on September 15, 2014, 09:22:50 AM
Quote from: fy469rtse on September 15, 2014, 03:41:50 AM
Aren't those just reflectors on the 69?   :popcrn:

They are, but they are easily converted to blinkers.  I have been thinking of doing the same thing to mine.  Every day I drive past several 4 way stops and people to my sides are not always seeing the blinkers up front.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

A383Wing

I put bulbs behind the reflectors in the Daytona...used the back side of 70's "A" body marker housings and cut the backs on the reflectors and glued the housings onto the 69's. Only uses one #194 bulb, so they won't blink with turn signals. That is accomplished by the special turn signal switch

I can try and find a couple pics if anyone is interested in seeing what was done

fy469rtse

already I have converted to globes,
one thing i liked about my 68 compared to 69's was the side marker lights, one thing i have always disliked about 69 model is the cheap side reflectors

A383Wing

VegasCharger

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 15, 2014, 05:51:27 PM
already I have converted to globes,
one thing i liked about my 68 compared to 69's was the side marker lights, one thing i have always disliked about 69 model is the cheap side reflectors

Another reason to chalk one up for the 68's  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

fy469rtse

Lets start a thread
What's better on a 68  compared to a 69 lol
Proper pad on ash tray door .?
Extended overriders on bumpers, was this a 69 only option