News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Blown Headlights - Help!

Started by cjw916, September 10, 2014, 01:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjw916

Hey guys.

I upgraded to H4 halogen headlights about a year ago. Then I did the World Famous Relay upgrade trick to properly power my lamps, running a hot lead right off the alternator post.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html
At first I ran my power wire to the battery, but then my gauge was reading about 36Amps on bright, 22Amps on dim, and around 9Amps with the headlights off, so I thought it wiser to run the power wire direct to the alternator post.

My problem began about a month later. I started the car after not driving it for a bit. . . Not looking, I flipped the headlight switch on and both inside high-beams popped (brights were on). I looked at the Amp gauge & it was charging at 30Amps (I have a newer radio in the glovebox space that draws voltage for memory, and at the time I had a LED voltage draw that I've since fixed, so the battery recharge is not unusual) so I wrote the high-beam blowout off as due to the high charging Amperage causing the two to flicker & blow.

I replaced all 4 H4 bulbs ($60) with new Sylvania bulbs. A week later, after starting the car, I let the Amp gauge settle below 10A, when ready to roll I put the lamps on (dim, no problems), a mile down the road I clicked the high-beams & both driver's bulbs blew out. What the hell?

I replaced both bulbs (another $30). Then last week I had both inside high-beams blow a mile or two from the house (shit!) when switching to brights, then both low-beams popped as I came to an idle at a stop sign (shit! again!).

I suspect the voltage regulator & have ordered a solid state VR to replace my non-solid state '68 VR. I have yet to put my MultiMeter on the alternator to investigate, but I will soon.

Anyone have any insight or experience with headlamp blow-outs?

Thanks.

cjw916

I know that no one posted any suggestions, LOL, but I think I may have found the culprit. The driver's low-beam lamp lead had rubbed through the insulation & must've been shorting to ground. I had bent the wiring different than how it was, installing a ceramic insulator lead on the H4 bulb, this extra 6" of wire caused the original wiring to rub on something? it normally couldn't reach. I just happen to notice the fresh rubbing & exposed wire while investigating. New bulbs in. They flipped back & forth low to high, no problem, so far. :-)

TexasStroker

Yep, grounding out will do it, lol.  Good news is you got the time to investigate it and found what should be an easy fix!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!