News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Challenger Cop cars?

Started by b5blue, September 11, 2014, 04:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

So one of my co-workers is married to a State Trooper. He stops by now and then and the other day he was talking about the new Mustang and Challenger unmarked cars for Tampa Bay area. I was like WUT!....Challenger? He said they installed the blue lights inside the hood scoops! They were careful to tint the windows and place everything to be as unnoticeable as possible. So be careful around Tampa gang, there is a Black Stang and Gold/brown Chally lookking for trouble!   :2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

Yeah, There is a unmarked red Challenger in a neighboring town near me. The Charger our Sheriff drives in our town has a complete wrap it's black and transitions into a waving American flag, I had to laugh those as it has those cheesy stick on hood scoops with lights inside the scoops  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Not surprised, they've used Camaros and Mustangs so they might as well use the better one too.  With all the Charger cruisers out there, it makes sense on a fleet purchase-maintenance point of view too.

chargerman69

They have a f150 and a camaro in windsor ont

Ghoste

myk

I don't see the point of high profile, high performance machinery though, other than drumming up attention and support from the citizenry.  Isn't it policy to not give direct chase to fleeing suspects, relying instead on air surveillance and support?  I figured during these times of ambulance chasing lawyers and the public's dislike of government the day of pedal to the floor car chases are extinct.  Of course, we've had two car chases that led to causalties and fatalities in San Diego just last week so......... :shruggy:

stripedelete

Quote from: myk on September 11, 2014, 08:00:40 PM
I don't see the point of high profile, high performance machinery though, other than drumming up attention and support from the citizenry.  Isn't it policy to not give direct chase to fleeing suspects, relying instead on air surveillance and support?  I figured during these times of ambulance chasing lawyers and the public's dislike of government the day of pedal to the floor car chases are extinct.  Of course, we've had two car chases that led to causalties and fatalities in San Diego just last week so......... :shruggy:

Don't get it either.  Like they always said,"you can't outrun a radio".

I'll chalk it up to the homeland security fleecing that we are receiving.

familymopar

I think it is more to do with spending the money.  These departments, like all government departments, have a budget that has a possible annual increase.  A department that doesn't spend its allotment doesn't have a good argument for the increase.  Not wanting/expecting/demanding the increase is contrary to government and bureaucracy.  Therefore, if you have a little money left over, better get some undercover sports cars.  Buy first, make the argument for their necessity later.  And I don't think they are intended to run you down in a chase so much as mix in with the crowd.  These days, around here anyway, not much blends in to the crowd better than a new style challenger/mustang/camaro.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

TUFCAT

An un-marked Charger R/T ....("Road & Track" or "R/T Plus" model) would serve the same purpose, and also have a comfy place to put the "perp".   :scratchchin:

familymopar

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 11, 2014, 10:19:52 PM
An un-marked Charger R/T ....("Road & Track" or "R/T Plus" model) would serve the same purpose, and also have a comfy place to put the "perp".   :scratchchin:

Yea but they have a lot of those.  I guess I should have tossed in that I think there is some inter-departmental one-ups-manship as well.  Why do cops have unmarked challengers?  Because they also think they are badass, and they can, and they need to spend the money.  It would surprise me if they weren't buying them.  And those cars are not for hauling in perps, they are for calling the other cars when they see something sketchy that is no doubt happening because there is no traditional cop cars around.  I think they try to never turn those lights on.

And again I can only speak for my area, but those chargers are becoming the crown vics of today.  And what I mean by that is people are starting to be able to pick out the headlamps from quite a distance at night and stop doing what they're doing.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Indygenerallee

QuoteWhy do cops have unmarked challengers?

So they can also bust a lot of people that don't suspect it's a cop as well as the happy go lucky stop light racers!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Patronus

Quote from: stripedelete on September 11, 2014, 08:44:32 PM

Don't get it either.  Like they always said,"you can't outrun a radio".

I beg to differ sir.  :whistling:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

JB400

In my area, the high profile cars like the Challenger would get to be the D.A.R.E car and be the ones used to lead the parades or to show off to the school kids.

There is some truth to the unused money that was mentioned earlier.  The county ambulance had to explain why it was wanting to raise taxes so that it could get jet ski's and other recreational vehicles. They claimed they were for Search and Rescue.
Voters didn't let them have the jet skis.  There's no lakes in our county big enough to deem them necessary.