News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb - manifold question

Started by florida66, September 13, 2014, 10:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida66

Hello,
New to the board and could not find the answer using the search feature.
I have a '66 383 4 barrel with 727 and stock rear end. When I did my engine rebuild I put in a mopar purple camshaft with 284 duration 484 lift. I was just given a Holley 4160-750 cfm- electric choke - vacuum secondaries as a gift but I have a stock intake that had the original Carter ( cast iron 4 barrel).
What dual plane low rise manifold is best? The existing intake doesn't have the same bolt pattern as the new carb and I've been reading that the mopar m1 is a copy of the original.
Thanks,
Ralph

fy469rtse

Edelbrock performer  or performer air gap will do it,
the later will need a drop base for the air cleaner to clear hood

BSB67

A few options:
1) Acquire a factory 383 intake from a later year.  I believe that the casting number ends with 301.
2) Acquire an Edelbrock Performer.  You can buy these new
3) Acquire an Edelbrock DP4B.  You'll have to buy this used but readily available.

The Performer is an updated version of the DP4B and allows the use of a spreadbore carb, but offers no performance difference.

If you built a real solid high performance 383 with good compression ratio and spend $$ on the heads, I would go with either of the Edelbrocks.  If it was a run of the mill rebuild (no offense to anyone) you should probably go with the factory intake.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

florida66

Gentlemen thanks for the advice. I will be going with the Edelbrock route to give me options in the future. Would there be anything else needed other than the intake gasket/pan, carb gaskets, and linkage adapter? Would I need carb spacers ?