News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Epoxy or etching primer on floor pans?

Started by Cncguy, September 11, 2014, 09:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

I'm wanting to get the interior sections of my Charger sealed up with paint, so I never have any rust issues again. What primer did you use? I,m dreading sanding every square inch of the interior pans, braces, and wheel tubs, to Achieve the bite necassary for the epoxy to stick. What would you do? Car is being dipped by redistrip.

moparnation74

Quote from: Cncguy on September 11, 2014, 09:20:50 AM
I'm wanting to get the interior sections of my Charger sealed up with paint, so I never have any rust issues again. What primer did you use? I,m dreading sanding every square inch of the interior pans, braces, and wheel tubs, to Achieve the bite necassary for the epoxy to stick. What would you do? Car is being dipped by redistrip.
Bare metal, always use an etching primer then topcoated with an epoxy primer.  Some people skip the etch to save a few bones but that is a mistake.  I use PPG produts, they are wortht he price for the quality.

Canadian1968

Epoxy is your ultimate adhesion to bare steel . I have only been taught to use etch for large areas receiving a polyurethane primer .  Preping the surface is not that bad with a wire wheel or sanding flapper wheel .

You will get a million answers , as you will with other paint questions. I have never heard of using both together . I personally would use epoxy .

Charger-Bodie

On areas like the inside or underside I like to use etch to keep things from flash rusting. Then when I'm ready to paint these types of areas, I scuff the etch all but off( it scuffs really easy) then epoxy it followed by topcoat.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

pmike

I guess I will be using wire brush and phosphoric acid for preparation and then http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Coating_p_8.html to paint the floors etc inside my car.

Cncguy

I'm think I'm going to use etching primer. Then paint to seal.

Shakey

I sprayed primer to protect it for the rest of my life and even sprayed a coating of Lizzard Skin for insulation purposes.

In my Interior Assembly thread there may be some photos or at the least, links to the other threads where I may of explained in more detail of what we did.

As mentioned, spend a bit more now for piece of mind.   :yesnod:

Dreamcar

Quote from: moparnation74 on September 11, 2014, 02:57:03 PM
Quote from: Cncguy on September 11, 2014, 09:20:50 AM
Bare metal, always use an etching primer then topcoated with an epoxy primer.  Some people skip the etch to save a few bones but that is a mistake.  I use PPG produts, they are wortht he price for the quality.

Many epoxies do not like etch primers underneath!!! if you do this, read the epoxy tech sheet first before applying.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

hemi-hampton

I'd sand then use a self etching wash primer & then a epoxy over that. PPG make 2 different self etching wash primers. One you can use epoxy over & one you can not. Read the tech seats.  If not a self etching wash primer you'll need to etch chemically. I've done it this way for years & never had a problem & years later the cars still look good. LEON.