News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my AMD quarter panel potato chip

Started by Ryan.C, September 09, 2014, 10:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

I just blocked my AMD full quarter panel and it is absolutely horrible. This panel is very wavy. Has anyone else ran into this or am I just lucky. I tried to take a pic but the artificial lighting in the garage does not make for a quality picture.
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

Indygenerallee

Yeah mine are shit as well..... gotta work with what is available. skim the whole quarter and board file that Beeyotch.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Patronus

From one end to the other buddy...get some!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Cncguy

They may a lot straighter before being forced into place and welded.

Ryan.C

thanks for the replies, fixing this $700 quarter is gonna take all day.

Dreamcar

This so does not make me look forward to replacing my quarters next spring   :rotz:
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Cncguy

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 10, 2014, 10:21:14 AM
This so does not make me look forward to replacing my quarters next spring   :rotz:

My recommendation is that you save as much of the original quarter as possible.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Cncguy on September 10, 2014, 10:50:19 AM

Good advice, and I would have, but there's not much left to save. A tree fell on the driver's side (which may explain why the car sat in a field for years), the lower sections are rotten on both sides behind the wheels, as are the areas surrounding the rear window. So, it looks like two full quarters for me.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

4cruzin

That sucks!  With all the tech these days, you would think they could make a decent quarter panel!   :rotz:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Mike DC

NASA implies that they've practically forgotten how to go to the Moon since 1968-70.  ( :scratchchin:)

I'm not holding my breath for perfect 1968-70 Charger quarters these days.

darkside

Cncguy

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 10, 2014, 10:56:49 AM
Quote from: Cncguy on September 10, 2014, 10:50:19 AM

Good advice, and I would have, but there's not much left to save. A tree fell on the driver's side (which may explain why the car sat in a field for years), the lower sections are rotten on both sides behind the wheels, as are the areas surrounding the rear window. So, it looks like two full quarters for me.

I agree. It seems you have no other choice. Just a lot if people get really AMD happy these days.

Pete in NH

I wonder what type of tooling AMD's parts come off of, for sure it's nothing like the original die tooling Chrysler used. Who knows, maybe they have a bunch of Chinese hand forming these things.

On forgetting how to go to the moon, the list of lost technologies in this country would make one sick to think about. Remember, the second stage of the Saturn V was built by Chrysler. The aerospace division is long gone and I doubt if Fiat could figure it out.

Chargen69

my AMD roof skin fit terrible.  One side of the drip rail near the quarter fit great, my friend had to stretch the crap out of the driver's side to get it to drop in correctly to the drip rail.

talked to AMD, they said, "Our products are perfect, he must have installed it incorrectly"

literally they said PERFECT

Ryan.C

on the bright side at least the parts are available. I just would think for the hefty price tag these parts carry they would be somewhat straight and fit a little better. The quarter did not fit my valance corners worth a darn and after a quick search on this site its everyone not just me. Oh and the two piece trunk pan I installed over the winter did not fit that well either. The pan was too sort by a good inch, so I had to weld a piece in to make it fit the rear lip. The quarter panel patch fit pretty good on the right side of the car except it had the same fitment issue at the valance corner.

I don't know of a better option :shruggy:

Dreamcar

Quote from: Chargen69 on September 10, 2014, 01:08:27 PM
my AMD roof skin fit terrible.  One side of the drip rail near the quarter fit great, my friend had to stretch the crap out of the driver's side to get it to drop in correctly to the drip rail.

talked to AMD, they said, "Our products are perfect, he must have installed it incorrectly"

I was lucky (I think because I haven't installed it yet) since I found a donor roof with structure (picture the top half of a charger greenhouse cut clean off) for less money than a new roof skin.

Brock Lee

Quote from: Pete in NH on September 10, 2014, 01:08:10 PM
I wonder what type of tooling AMD's parts come off of, for sure it's nothing like the original die tooling Chrysler used.

I have thought about it. I don't think they reverse engineered the parts. The loss of definition in body lines and shaping resembles the loss encountered when simply replicating something directly (multi-generational loss). It is almost like they just simply had some parts (possibly used, who knows how straight) probed, then tweaked in the program and dies were made from that.

Patronus

I've put in plenty of AMD stuff. I think it fits great. I mean you gotta know what your doing. Cramming that thing on and off improperly could certainly distort it. Sometimes clear across the panel in a different spot. Honestly, I couldnt ask for a betting fitting part. Surly you can't expect them to just pop on without a little tweak here and there. The body lines..well... I wouldn't even expect those to be perfect. The things 40 years old. I will say the E body stuff does fit/look better, but not much. To me, it's the fun part. The hard part. The part that makes you proud when someone says,"who did that!!?" I think you gotta earn it somewhat.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Silver R/T

That sucks. Ive bought Goodmark quarter years ago for like $230 and it's not perfect fit, body lines need some adjustment but still I didn't spend whole lot on it.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

six-tee-nine

Oh come on guys....... I need to replace my roof skin wich I'm doing when I get the car of the rotisserie, this comments make me nervous...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 11, 2014, 12:34:38 PM

Ive used two of there roof skins and been very happy with those.
Oh come on guys....... I need to replace my roof skin wich I'm doing when I get the car of the rotisserie, this comments make me nervous...
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Chargen69

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 11, 2014, 12:34:38 PM

sorry man, my friend knows what he is doing, and it was a pain for him

Charger-Bodie

the only complaint i had on these is that the roof structure at each rear corner gets really close to touching the skin. I massage that part down automatically now.

Maybe your car was just at a bad area of tolerance for the skin. some just are that way. These cars were not built on tight tolerances.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dreamcar

Questionable tolerences with sometimes questionable repro parts = more time in the shop. Period.

Ryan.C

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 09, 2014, 11:02:57 PM
Yeah mine are shit as well..... gotta work with what is available. skim the whole quarter and board file that Beeyotch.

I should have taken your advise instead of trying to spot repair the panel. I have gone over it at least three times and just now starting to get close to where it should be.

The more im looking this panel I think it got banged around a little in shipping.