News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

360 from hell!!

Started by ionracer24, September 09, 2014, 09:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ionracer24

Ok, i've been a mechanic/computer guru for going on like 20 years.  The other day i bought a plymouth fury III ( yeah i know its not a charger, but i'm desperate.)  It's got a low mileage 360' that is giving me the red u know what.... :flame:  I've quadruple checked timing, it's not 180 out and its got new plugs, wires, points, condenser, cap, rotor, ballast resistor etc.  Has new 2 barrel carb and gets plenty of fuel....and has fire.  It's not blazing blue spark, but seems pretty decent.  It will barely idle and the plugs look black already and if i try to give it gas it dies and pops....Any ideas???  It's literally making me lose sleep trying to figure it out. Any boty have a troublesome 360 also???...HELP!!!! :brickwall: :brickwall:
Real race cars have three pedals......

70 sublime

Has the motor and tranny been apart ?
Is it the original motor and tranny to the car ?

Some small blocks have a special torque convertor that is weighted for motor balance
I had a 318 that ran like crap and that is what it ended up being wrong

Just an idea
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

redmist

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Benfro89

Could it be the air gas setup with your carb? Seems like it's getting way to much gas to me  :shruggy:
LOOKING FOR THE ONE :)

ionracer24

i have no idea if its the original engine/trans, it looks like it is, but not sure.  I bought it for like 600 bucks with assurances from my "friend" all it needed was some fine tuning.....i havent been able to time it cause it wont run long enuff no matter if i advance it or retard it... :shruggy:

Indygenerallee

sounds like the Carb needs looked at first to get it idling.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

pmike

Plug wires are in correct order?

Dino

If you have access to one I say bolt on another carb.  If not then at least rebuild the one you have.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on September 10, 2014, 07:54:24 AM
If you have access to one I say bolt on another carb.  If not then at least rebuild the one you have.

:iagree:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

HPP

Air, fuel, ignition, compression, at the right times in the right amounts. That's all it takes to make an engine run. One or more of these are out of kilter.

Make sure your checking firing order with the right distributor rotation.

Also, didn't early stock 360s have plastic timing gear teeth on the timing set? If few of these get chewed up and your timing will never be right.

Might bring #1 up to TDC, and check where the distributor, crank timing marks, and cam timing are all at in relationship to each other.

el dub

You might want to start with the carb since its running to rich (plugs being the clue) and it floods out when you give it gas.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

polywideblock

sounds like the needle and seat is sticking  open

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

workworkwork

Could there be issues with the valves? Seems odd that the plugs would get blackend just trying to start it. My base model 74 broke a timing chain once and that bent the valves. It was a major repair and had the same symptoms as you.

ionracer24

Thanx for all the tips.  The rotor points right to where it should when its at tdc and the wires are all aligned in the right spots as well, the carb is brand new rebuilt, but i think ya'll might be right with the needle and seat or the float sticking or somethin.  I'll take it off today and tear it apart to see what's goin on if anything.   I'm gonna try a little bit hotter coil too see it that helps.  I appreciate all the help fellas!!   :cheers:

RECHRGD

Check for vacuum leaks as well.......
13.53 @ 105.32

Patronus

My opinion would be to first- confirm its a 360. I hope that doesn't sound stupid, but ya never know. My first guess though would be the timing 180* off. If it won't idle the needle seat could have issues, but it usually does not run at all with that scenario.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

RGA

Always start with ignition, get good spark at the right time and then start looking at fuel. If needle and seat were sticking it would be flooding out and would be a hard start but would rev up ok. Sounds like timing, maybe jumped a tooth or two, also check for vacuum leaks, maybe old gas ? How long was it sitting. What's compression? What's timing at (should still be able to read it even if it's not running, just cranking) , what's the dwell ?

ionracer24

Tommorow, i'm pullin the timing chain whether  it needs it or not just to be on the safe side, i tried to get to the carb tonight but ended up bbqing instead lol....guess i've had enuff for a few days!! :brickwall:

pmike

Take and post a video  :popcrn: of how it runs, for us to keep making more or less educated guesses :) 

ionracer24

I will mike, I'm going to try to get to it 2night.  Its been close to 100 degrees for the past few days and its just too friggin hot to work on it since i dont have a garage at the moment.  I ordered the timing chain yesterday and it came today, so i need to pick it up from stupidzone.  I also have to get the gasket kit from oreilly's since i can never get all the parts from the same parts store... :eek2:  I'm building this car for my son since he wants a classic and the fury's are built like a sherman tank!!

ionracer24

So in the process of taking the front of the engine apart.....one of the long water pump bolts broke... :RantExplode: I'll post a pic tommorow, but luckily it did not break off at the block.  Hopefully with a lil heat and a lil pb blaster, it'll come loose, got another bolt from stupidzone and God willing it'll be runnin tommorow!! :eek2:

Patronus

Let the Pb soak, then give er some heat and the vise-grips. Did you find any damage, teeth, etc?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

ionracer24

Soooo, sure as shit it was the timing chain, original aluminum cam gear with that dam bakolite!!  It was like 5 friggin teeth off!!  I dont know how it even attempted to fire....The water pump bolt that broke was litterally fused into the timing cover, weirdest dam thing i've ever seen in my life!!  luckily i was able to get the cover off with a whole lotta pb blaster and a propane torch.  Even so, i had to use a friggin tire iron and a cheater pipe to pry that sob loose and get it free.  The bolt came out with a pipe wrench and some pb also.  So God willing, that rusty, crusty sob will fire and run tommorow..... :eek2:   :smilielol: here's a pic of the front i had more of the bolt and cover but they did not show up so will post those  manana

workworkwork

Hopefully the valves will be ok. If it runs rough after the replacement timing chain you may need to check the valves and see if any are bent or damaged. When my timing chain broke it bent some valves and I had to pull the heads and take them to a machine shop. After the new timing chain and valve work it ran great ever since.

ionracer24

Quote from: workworkwork on September 16, 2014, 11:45:45 PM
Hopefully the valves will be ok. If it runs rough after the replacement timing chain you may need to check the valves and see if any are bent or damaged. When my timing chain broke it bent some valves and I had to pull the heads and take them to a machine shop. After the new timing chain and valve work it ran great ever since.

I'm really hoping it didn't,  but if it did, at least it'll move under its own power back 2 my driveway