News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto trans no console..what shifter?

Started by comet_666, September 09, 2014, 08:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

Hey guys, what shifters do you think would look good/work good for an auto with no console?
69 Charger w/buddy seat.

A383Wing

No auto offered on floor with buddy seat, column shift only

comet_666

WHITE AND RED 69

I used a B&M quicksilver but added a console over it later on.

I personally like the look of the Winters Sidewinder shifter or the Turbo Action Cheetah SCS shifter. If I were to get a new one it would be one of those.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

don duick

I have a hurst promatic 2 with bench seat. Is the  same size as the photo above. Being cable operated it can be placed anywhere.

fy469rtse

White and red 69 , my god your car is so nice , was going to say that shifter , got caught up just staring at how nice that your interior looks ,
Be meaning to ask you who did your mats, nice embroidering on the rt

A383Wing

comet_666

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: fy469rtse on September 10, 2014, 04:44:48 AM
White and red 69 , my god your car is so nice , was going to say that shifter , got caught up just staring at how nice that your interior looks ,
Be meaning to ask you who did your mats, nice embroidering on the rt

Thanks! That was before I went crazy and changed everything over to a console. The mats are from ACC (Auto Custom Carpets), quality and fit were spot on.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: comet_666 on September 10, 2014, 09:41:03 AM
It had a 4 speed in it.

Youre going the wrong way!!!! Lol.  But if its staying with an auto i vote cheetah.

moparsr2fast

Bob

70 Charger 500
     2001 Ram 2500 Sport
        2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  2006 Dodge Charger Daytona

comet_666

I could go with a console but not sure what that will cost....I kind of like all of these but I ultimately want to go with a console I think.

TexasStroker

I think you could run pretty much any aftermarket shifter...just go with your preference and pick a handle out.  I personally prefer B&M and am running a MegaShifter.

White and Red 69, did you run a factory console and top plate over the shifter, or an aftermarket console.  Would love to see it either way...
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

BSB67

I went with this:  But, of course, only slow cars have column shift  ;D

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

The whole shifter/console thing was such a pain I wished the car just had one on the column by the time I got done! Then I realized even at that it would have been worn out and missing parts!  :lol: Even installing the Sidewinder involved rerouting the cooling return line. When that fitting snapped off the side of the transmission it set off a chain of events that wasted 7-8 weeks of valuable cool weather time lost.
  A grand $$ and 8 weeks later the 727 is completely overhauled and restored to HD street spec nicely but I'm going to convert the shifter, removing the reverse lockout. The lockout is so positive acting it interferes with rapid gear changing in tight quick maneuvering. The gated action will be fine without that feature. I HATED ratchet shifters for the same reason, all that clicking up and down quickly just feels stupid. So +60.00 for a longer cable to place the shifter back by the seats where feels like a more natural placement and another 65.00 to remove a feature I added for free just because I could. Then there was the whole delay installing when the shifter came without the "Park start only interlock switch" that I didn't know I did not need.  :lol:  My 727's factory interlock switch was broken and the harness was missing sections, with that replaced the missing switch I'd had sent was redundant.
  If you are going to end up with a console shift just get the cheapest shifter you can, even used. Even just install the basic parts of the factory floor shifter and live with it looking unfinished. I opted to forgo the extra $$$ to replace that console entirely, my bastard Charger didn't warrant the expense for my needs. (90% of what I had needed replacement not repair, almost 2K $$$!)
  I'm only yapping about all this to you because keeping, repairing, replacing factory stuff adds up $$$ quickly and can be a pain finding every detail to get right. Changing from factory can get into a cycle of "If I change this then I must change that" kinda effect.   :scratchchin:     

BSB67

Certainly to each his own.  But I ever understood the fascination with shifters for automatic transmissions.   Sometimes I wonder if some people believe that it improves the performance some how.  If you have an automatic and you simply enjoying shifting, then you have the wrong transmission. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Me to, it took me 19 years to get sick of the old school drag race mods, high stall and banging shifts. One day it dawned on me to just get it back to stock-ish and after 19 years it was ready for a rebuild anyway. Snapping the return line fitting just moved the rebuild up to right away instead of later. The Sidewinder was the most solid built so that was picked for long term service.
  I am digging the "Foot" switch on the beam button! Got to get me one of them some day!  :2thumbs:

BSB67

Quote from: b5blue on September 13, 2014, 03:12:40 PM
  Me to, it took me 19 years to get sick of the old school drag race mods, high stall and banging shifts. One day it dawned on me to just get it back to stock-ish and after 19 years it was ready for a rebuild anyway. Snapping the return line fitting just moved the rebuild up to right away instead of later. The Sidewinder was the most solid built so that was picked for long term service.
  I am digging the "Foot" switch on the beam button! Got to get me one of them some day!  :2thumbs:

Have the big one on the gas pedal too.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

:2thumbs: I ditched the pedal and the wheel on the lever and just step on that.  :lol: (More leg room.)

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: TexasStroker on September 12, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
I think you could run pretty much any aftermarket shifter...just go with your preference and pick a handle out.  I personally prefer B&M and am running a MegaShifter.

White and Red 69, did you run a factory console and top plate over the shifter, or an aftermarket console.  Would love to see it either way...

It's a factory console and plates. The only thing to make it fit was I had to cut apart the shifter lens bracket to fit over the aftermarket shifter.

Here are the most recent photos of it with a 67 armrest installed.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

comet_666

I see, so you installed a console and then added the pad...interesting. What did the console assembly set you back?

twenty mike mike

I agree with b5blue...if you're going to go with a console eventually, just install a stock floor shift. The parts are easy to find.

comet_666

Like this?
what about a cover?

twenty mike mike

Quote from: comet_666 on September 17, 2014, 03:06:04 PM
Like this?
what about a cover?

Exactly like that.  :cheers:

Who needs a cover? That's just as good looking as most aftermarket shifters, and you get to see things move when you shift. For free! No point in spending money and time on a cover when you'll eventually get a console, anyway.

Mopar had the best looking automatic shifters and consoles of cars of that era, and nobody has been able to make a better replacement.

myk

Quote from: comet_666 on September 17, 2014, 01:16:48 PM
I see, so you installed a console and then added the pad...interesting. What did the console assembly set you back?

I picked up an old console off of ebay, and then I bought WHITE AND RED's spare armrest pad and spent about $600 on the whole thing...

TexasStroker

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on September 17, 2014, 12:33:55 PM
Quote from: TexasStroker on September 12, 2014, 05:37:56 PM
I think you could run pretty much any aftermarket shifter...just go with your preference and pick a handle out.  I personally prefer B&M and am running a MegaShifter.

White and Red 69, did you run a factory console and top plate over the shifter, or an aftermarket console.  Would love to see it either way...

It's a factory console and plates. The only thing to make it fit was I had to cut apart the shifter lens bracket to fit over the aftermarket shifter.

Here are the most recent photos of it with a 67 armrest installed.

Looks great...That was my initial plan, but I don't have the heart to cut my factory top plate and haven't found one decent enough to bring in for the role...

Also of note, I actually have run mine with the Megashifter within the confines of the factory console (no shifter plate) and it looks good....My interior is black, so that may help, but it honestly just blends in, especially with the B&M top plate and boot.  The area between the divide easily fits a water bottle and keeps it upright too, lol.  Not the best set up, but very functional and a good way to pass time.  I now have the console pulled and only the B&M housing in place...That will change when I get to wrap up the interior.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

comet_666

Quote from: twenty mike mike on September 17, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
Like this?
what about a cover?

Who needs a cover? That's just as good looking as most aftermarket shifters, and you get to see things move when you shift. For free! No point in spending money and time on a cover when you'll eventually get a console, anyway.

Mopar had the best looking automatic shifters and consoles of cars of that era, and nobody has been able to make a better replacement.

I agree on the shifter, I like how it looks. Now I need to fab something up so I can tell what gear I'm in

twenty mike mike

Quote from: comet_666 on September 18, 2014, 09:22:04 AM
Quote from: twenty mike mike on September 17, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
Like this?
what about a cover?

I agree on the shifter, I like how it looks. Now I need to fab something up so I can tell what gear I'm in

It'll be really obvious once you get used to it. You don't need to press the button to shift up or go into Neutral from Drive, but you need to press it to go into Reverse or Park, or from Park through Reverse. While you're getting used to it, you can shift from Park all the way back to First, then just click forward twice to get to Drive. To go to Reverse from Drive, just slide it up to Neutral, then press the button to go to one click to Reverse. Very user friendly. The indicator is a nice green glow at night, but you don't really need it.

comet_666

hmmm..I may just do that until I can locate a console...I can buy one new but they are real $$