News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern gaskets in an old school world

Started by Ghoste, September 04, 2014, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Somewhat wanting to know what the professional and frequent engine builders do with today as far as gaskets.  To my mind, a gasket is a gasket and you put them on dry and clean and you should be good to go but maybe not?  Are they made any differently now than 40 years ago?  And I know some have changed such as head gaskets but do guys now still just install them as is, use a bead of rtv for insurance, just some spray on tack or what?
Does it change the fact that I'm asking in a forum where the parts are principally new or at least as cleann as new?  What about changing used parts, for instance if you just pull an oil pan to inspect?

John_Kunkel

The common argument against using sealer on gaskets is "the factory put 'em on dry and they didn't leak" but the parts were new then, after a few off/on cycles the mating surfaces may not be flat anymore.

I use Coppercoat spray on head gaskets and a thin film of RTV on composite gaskets; might be unnecessary but I don't like leaks. (a "belt and suspenders" approach)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Which is exactl what stopped me this morning John.  I had that, "factory" thought in mind and then thought about the fact it isn't a new part.  Thanks.

Dino

I still have at least two valve cover leaks after installing new gaskets.  I think they are rubber/cork.  I glued them to the cheapo chrome valve covers with ultra copper so I may have to do the same between gaskets and heads.  If I tighten these bolts any more they will likely snap.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

If it is a machined surface, then you shouldnt need rtv.

If it an "as cast" surface, then you should use rtv.

Just my  :Twocents:

Ghoste