News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

mopar muscle's new editor

Started by polywideblock, September 08, 2014, 11:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polywideblock

so I gets my Nov. Issue of mopar muscle ,turn to off the line and its gone no randy  instead we've got bangin gears with johny hunkins   hi I'm the new editor  yada yada popular hot rodding yada yada  and then tells us that mopars have more hoarders than any other brand and that's why it costs so much to own /keep one. tells us that us guys with a few cars around the place are NOT cool and we are keeping the young players out of the game ,driving up prices  and putting the hobby at risk    :scratchchin:

wow I've always thought that  one of the things that makes you a mopar guy was wanting one of everything   ;D

so there you have it, start clearing out your junk and start selling it a "sane" prices to the young fella's so they can have a go  :yesnod:  you have been told  :eek2:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

fy469rtse

Got to get my latest issue yet, thanks for the heads up , so the new guy is dictating to us mopar guys already,
Damn liked randy, it's the only place other then here I get my fix
Why's randy gone ?

polywideblock

Randy's still a contributing editor       some "organisational restructuring " seems to be the general gist of it

Ghoste

Sounds like another reason to not get MM.  I'm sure the magazine will offer reduced subscription rates to anyone under 30.

bill440rt

I decided to let my subscription expire just before hearing the news Randy was leaving. I was a subscriber for years. I did not renew.
Only ones I get now are Mopar Action & MCG.

I don't need some editor telling me what I "should" do with my cars.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

I never liked Mopar Muscle anyway...  :icon_smile_blackeye:

wingcar

The mailman must have gotten my last issue wet....it appears to have shrunk a bit.....less pages.   
With the current content and size, I will be rethinking whether or not to renew, when the time comes.....................I find less and less to become interested in with each issue... :-\
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

charge69

Go ahead and get "Chrysler Power Magazine" for the win!

Moparman01

It's really disappointing Randy is gone, he is true blue all Mopar kinda guy and that made it a decent rag, maybe a little dry compared to Mopar Action and MCG but very informative on the technical side. Randy wrote a "farewell" letter in Rob Wolfes editorial column in MCG a month or 2 ago, sounds like MM just flat out up and dumped him, doesn't sound like he is a part of the rag at all now. I haven't read the latest issue of MM yet, not sure if i will re-new next year or not if it starts heading down hill!! 

TheAutoArchaeologist

Randy will shortly be seen within the pages of Mopar Collectors Guide.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: bill440rt on September 09, 2014, 06:22:51 AM
I decided to let my subscription expire just before hearing the news Randy was leaving. I was a subscriber for years. I did not renew.
Only ones I get now are Mopar Action & MCG.

I don't need some editor telling me what I "should" do with my cars.

Damn straight,  uckum what do they know.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

pettybird

Maybe they could hire a competent copy editor, too.  The spelling, grammar and general composition errors were so bad it made my brain hurt to read.

polywideblock

really wish I hadn't resigned for another 2 years last year    :slap:     have to wait and see I suppose

seems that his first editorial alienated half his readers    :shruggy:  well any  with a few cars around the yard that won't sell at  a loss so young fred nerk can buy the car of his dreams at 1986 prices   :scratchchin:    what happened to saving for years to get the car of your dreams

fy469rtse

Polywideblock , have a look at muscle car review, not always great , but always good reading on barn finds and resto's , it has all muscle cars

Ghoste

I like Musclecar Review too.  That and MCG are the only two I subscribe to although I should subscribe to MA too since I get off the stand nearly every issue anyway.

wingcar

Quote from: charge69 on September 09, 2014, 09:57:56 AM
Go ahead and get "Chrysler Power Magazine" for the win!

I do...in fact I have had more than a couple of articles published by Roland in the past few years.  Plus I have worked the "booth" for him at the last several "Mopars at the Strip" show in Vegas.  I sold a lot of subscriptions to "Chrysler Power" last year.  We were also selling "Mopar Muscle" subscriptions, which seemed funny, but I guess Roland was trying to help MM....

TheAutoArchaeologist

Sorry, posted twice for some reason?

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Devil on September 10, 2014, 10:48:08 AM
I also appreciate Muscle Car Review alot.  Heck I got this website in MCR last month  :icon_smile_big:

4cruzin

I personally gave up on all the mopar mags a few years ago . . . I don't like collectors guide, mopar action wasn't that great and I stayed with mopar muscle the longest until a couple years ago but it became so repetitive with the engine shootout and other stuff that I got bored with it as well.  Now I get NONE!  With the internet  . . . I can read better stories for free! 

:popcrn:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

66FBCharger

The last several years I have been renewing my magazine subscriptions at either Carlisle or the Nats so that I could get a free t shirt which I couldn't get if i mailed in my renewal. Anyway, this year I decided to not renew my Mopar Muscle. I did not enjoy the articles which reminded me of an infomercial. All I get now is MCG, MA and Hemmings mag (I forget the name at this moment). Money has been getting tighter so I am trying to trim expenses so MM had to go!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

HPP

Can't count how many times I've seen someone on here talking about how they have watched some desireable car rot into the ground because its owner was "gettin round to it" on a day that never came around. Now now a magazine editor does it and it means his opinion is out of touch and his mag is crap?

I don't doubt there are Camaro and Mustang horders too, but with the millions of them made originally and the new reproductions that are out there, it's has negated their hidden gold mine status.

Maybe instead of bitching about magazines, we should be firing up the boys at Dodge for not supporting their enthusiast base.

WHITE AND RED 69

:iagree:  Well said.

I don't think the new guy was aiming those comments at the guys with 2 or 3 cars out in the garage that are in line to get running. He was talking about the hoarders who will never restore a single car back to running order, let alone the 20 they have sitting in a field rotting away. If you know you will never get to a car, what's the point of keeping it?  

The point I took from the article is he was trying to get across was to get more Mopars out on the roads. Is that such a bad thing?  :shruggy:  
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

wingcar

Drive it, or it's nothing more than a glorified lawn ornament.... :drive:

rt green

yeah, sell it to a young kid so he can jump it. just like he saw on TV. some of these cars wouldn't be around if it wasn't for hoarders.
third string oil changer

jb666

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2014, 06:11:15 AM
Sounds like another reason to not get MM.  I'm sure the magazine will offer reduced subscription rates to anyone under 30.

Agreed.

And Randy is a douche pickle.

472 R/T SE

I just signed up for 6 months worth of MM for like $5.  It's been at least 5-6 years since I let the scrip expire.  Too many ads & repetitive feature cars'.
Bolig kind of let me down as I was pushing him to feature bill440rt's rides' but he was worried that since the green car was photographed already by another rag that he would just be copying?   :shruggy:

I get Musclecar Review, Hemmings Muscle Machines & Hot Rod.  By mistake I paid up for MR until like '20 but that's OK since it's my favorite rag.  There isn't a Chebby on every other page of HR like years past with the new editor, of course that's been a year or so back.

polywideblock

just think where your "project " car would come from if it wasn't for the so called hoarders .

a bare picked clean  shell in a wreckers perhaps ,maybe one  rotting in a ditch somewhere .  but the complete "barn" finds wouldn't be there if not for someone  who couldn't part with their car   :scratchchin:

they die and  the rellies clear out the property  and the hobby benefits from their years of  "hoarding " :Twocents: 

Ghoste

I have to admit I'm a little sad that PHR is done.  Not because I liked the mag, I didn't lately, but because there seems to be a rise in mags like Dub Rides or Tunerz where the traditional hot rodding demographic is just dying off.

pettybird

PHR was running hard at the pro touring scene.  It was OK with decent articles but I couldn't get by the newspaper feel

TUFCAT

Quote from: pettybird on September 12, 2014, 10:30:17 AM
PHR was running hard at the pro touring scene.  It was OK with decent articles but I couldn't get by the newspaper feel

Mopar Muscle (IMO) stopped attracting purists with its lack of restored car features.

I find most articles are written to racers, wanna-be racers, and "featured cars" are loaded with after-market go-fast goodies.

The restoration articles I enjoy were few and far in-between for me....and much of the magazine has an aftermarket slant to me.  It might as well been called "Mopar Modified".  :P

For the people who like to race their Mopars, that's great,  I prefer Mopar Action for its better balance of resto articles. :Twocents: :Twocents:    

Ghoste

I like racing but I see more restomods in MM than anything else.  :shruggy:

64dartgt

My MM subscription runs out in March and I am done.  As others have said, it is down about 30% to 80 pages and half of the pages are ads.  Even half the remaining 40 pages are thinly veiled ads.  I am thrilled that the guys at AMD are making parts for my Mopars how many articles can I read showing AMD installing new floor pans?  The other articles seem to be really dumbed down...another article about how to restore a tail light?  Another article about someone who wrote a check for an unachievable $100,000 ride?  I might as well reread my old issues.  I liked Randy and enjoyed the personal touch he brought as editor.

Kern Dog

The most recent issue features an editorial about how NOT to get your car in their magazine. The whole page smacked of Arrogance.
This Johhny Hunkins may have been having a bad day, but he sure appeared to be a total assclown in that editorial, repeating the same point many times. He clearly stated that their readers should treat the editor with the respect you'd give a US President or a doctor that just cured your kid of cancer.

polywideblock

yeah, I've started just breezing over his editorial   :rotz: but  it's nothing like "off the line" was

they  also lost "way back" and my favourite part "hidden treasures "   :slap:

now its been turned into a advertorial   :yesnod:  if it was on   TV I'd change channel    ;) 

Daytona R/T SE

My Mopar Muscle subscription expires with the June 2015 issue. :scratchchin:

Lookin' forward to it.  :2thumbs:

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 31, 2014, 10:38:24 PM
The most recent issue features an editorial about how NOT to get your car in their magazine. The whole page smacked of Arrogance.
This Johhny Hunkins may have been having a bad day, but he sure appeared to be a total assclown in that editorial, repeating the same point many times. He clearly stated that their readers should treat the editor with the respect you'd give a US President or a doctor that just cured your kid of cancer.
I agree  :down:

Mike DC

I also got tired of that attitude in PHR.  As if most of the muscle car hobby spends their days & nights thinking about how to build a "magazine quality car".

But in the big picture, I think our expectations for car mags tend to gradually become unrealistic as we get older.  

Most of us started out reading car mags as teens.  We weren't as familiar with the cars, the history, hot-rodding, restorations, etc.  Now its decades later for most of us.  We can't expect them to keep impressing us as much as they once did back when we had so much less knowledge & experience in the hobby.  There are new generations of teenagers learning those basics from the magazines now.  

polywideblock

I get them all for my "mopar fix" ,mopars are pretty thin on the ground over here

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 01, 2014, 12:33:01 AMNow its decades later for most of us.  We can't expect them to keep impressing us as much as they once did back when we had so much less knowledge & experience in the hobby.    

I gotta disagree Mike.  I'm still impressed by MM's competition and there were a lot of older guys buying mags when I was a teen and I don't recall them complaining about the things that are killing MM.

Cooter

Quote from: rt green on September 10, 2014, 07:34:41 PM
yeah, sell it to a young kid so he can jump it. just like he saw on TV. some of these cars wouldn't be around if it wasn't for hoarders.

Well said. Why "hoarders"? Well, let's see...many reasons I've come across.
1. Low balling flippers.....
2. Poor dreamers lookin to buy cheap when they quickly turn into #1 once they see that Hellcat come up for sale.
3. Sentimental value may be a concern.
4. B.J., Marcum, etc. Put out insane prices and once you put the candy in front of the baby, it's extremely hard to take it away.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

Young kids jumping them?  Whatever.  It's been decades since drivable 2nd-gens were cheap enough to worry about that.  

"Hoarders" come in a wide range of flavors.  

Sometimes a guy really is wasting restorable cars.  

But other times it's just pissed-off buyers bitching because they think their money entitles them to anything that another person owns.  Some guys act like the owner is committing a crime when he refuses to sell his car just because the offer was good. 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 01, 2014, 12:33:01 AM
 There are new generations of teenagers learning those basics from the internet now.  

Corrected :icon_smile_big:

RallyeMike

I never cared for that mag, but even so, its just an opinion......  All makes of car guys are hoarders. You can't prove that Mopar guys are more inclined to it, and I don't believe it to be so.

I only subscribe to Mopar Action. Te rest are second fiddle. If I want more to read I just go back to my 1992+ issues and start over. It's just like it brand new to me  :lol:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

polywideblock

just got jan 2015  issue  and what a surprise now theres no " hi impact "on the feature car stats

so we're no longer interested in the cars interior or the paint and body work   :scratchchin: :slap:

TUFCAT

Mopar Muscle could go away forever....and it wouldn't bother me one bit.

HemiFish

fc7_plumcrazy

didn't like MM since at least 6 years when they stopped showing original/restored cars.

Only Mopar Mag I still read is MCG

Carsten

TUFCAT

Quote from: fc7_plumcrazy on November 07, 2014, 07:15:47 PM
didn't like MM since at least 6 years when they stopped showing original/restored cars.

Only Mopar Mag I still read is MCG

Carsten

I love to read Hemmings Muscle Machines, Musclecar Review and Mopar Action...in that order.

polywideblock

so now after months of printing stories about how not to get your car in MM  and bagging people for being persistent  about trying to get their cars in MM  and coming across as all arrogant and such  we now have " GET YOUR CAR IN MM " competition ."    :slap:      for the first time ever   get your car in the competition "  yada yada

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1503-get-your-car-in-mopar-muscle/

Ghoste

They'll never feature my car, it hasn't been boogered up with all of their advertisers latest restomod "how to get your car as far from original as possible" trends.  I'm not saying others shouldn't, I'm saying mine isn't (and won't).

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on January 11, 2015, 10:10:01 AM
They'll never feature my car, it hasn't been boogered up with all of their advertisers latest restomod "how to get your car as far from original as possible" trends.  I'm not saying others shouldn't, I'm saying mine isn't (and won't).

I wouldn't even want my car in that rag.  :icon_smile_blackeye: