News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What gear?

Started by myk, September 07, 2014, 05:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

I met an "ASE Certified Master Mechanic" today.  I was wiping down the Charger after a short drive, so he walks up and starts up a conversation:

"Nice car-what's it shifting at?"

"What?"

"What gear is it shifting at?"

"1st to 2nd?"

"No that's not what I asked."

*1200 RPM from 1st to 2nd?"

"Ha ha ha...No that's not what I mean.  You don't know s**t about cars do you.  Well, if you ever need help with that thing let me know-I'm a certified ASE master-mechanic."

"..........."

So, I'm always one to learn about new things, especially cars.  So let me start by asking what your cars shift at?  Because I'd really like to know...  :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

tan top

i'm totally confused with this Certified guy  !!   :smilie_help:  ,

perhaps he is the guy  in  other thread that thinks a blower  increases his engine size  :lol:  or you cant get over 400 horse out of a big block mopar  ;)

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

My car always shifts at the gear its in.

keith88

Cars dont shift "at gears" they shift at a RPM! Must of failed his ASE test. :nana: :smilielol:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

c00nhunterjoe

Mine shifts anywhere between 2500 and 7500..... depends on my mood!!! :2thumbs: :drive:

Dreamcar

I would've given him the deer in the headlights look too. Weird question.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

John_Kunkel

Sounds more like a circumsized master mechanic.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

JB400

My guess would be he's asking about the redline.  Honestly, I don't know.  He's probably only book smart and never gotten his hands dirty. :hah:

Baldwinvette77

Did he even know if it was an auto or stick?  :shruggy:

odcics2

My  :Twocents:

He said: "Nice car-what's it shifting at?"

I say, "6500 at WOT."

He'd then say:  "Good for a big block!"

The above assumes an auto trans and pedal to the metal!   :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Homerr

I say, "WTF kind of question is that?"

fy469rtse

I #ucking hate strangers and smartarses who think because your parked its an open invatation to come and say something smart,
you were pumping gas still werent you myk ?
very tempting to spray him and light him up thank god the good outnumber the tools like this guy , should have told him to go play in traffic

HANDM

If anyone asks about my cars, I just give them a bewildered look and say, this stupid old car? Then Jump in and drive away...

Seriously, that's what I do nearly every time and it saves anyone from putting their foot in their mouth

Chargerguy74

Quote from: HANDM on September 07, 2014, 09:28:16 PM
If anyone asks about my cars, I just give them a bewildered look and say, this stupid old car? Then Jump in and drive away...

Seriously, that's what I do nearly every time and it saves anyone from putting their foot in their mouth

I laughed cuz I know if I did this the first thing I'd do is hop in and appologize to the car for what I just said.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

A383Wing

Maybe his Mom & Dad were actually brother & sister?  :shruggy:

myk

Quote from: odcics2 on September 07, 2014, 04:11:57 PM

My  :Twocents:

I say, "6500 at WOT."

He'd then say:  "Good for a big block!"

The above assumes an auto trans and pedal to the metal!   :cheers:

I had a feeling maybe that's what he was getting at but I was so disrupted by his idiocy I couldn't see it. 

I think his girlfriend was the truly funny one though.  She asks "hey do you know who owns that piece of s**t  Camaro convertible that's usually parked here?".  "Yeah I do-it's mine."   "Oh....."   As she hides behind Mr ASE certified master-douche...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

fy469rtse

I have a better idea , I'm going to tell the first idiot , jump in Let's find out , very unnerving sitting in the usual drivers side over here and with a mad man behind the wheel , bet he's got nothing to say afterwards, bet he don't know what  it shifted at !
I will  :2thumbs:

don duick

maybe he has the spelling wrong he meant to say he is an ASS.

HANDM

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on September 07, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

I laughed cuz I know if I did this the first thing I'd do is hop in and appologize to the car for what I just said.

My cars know better, I threaten them with the junkyard often, keeps em in line   :lol:

Cooter

Quote from: myk on September 07, 2014, 05:30:42 AM
I met an "ASE Certified Master Mechanic" today.  I was wiping down the Charger after a short drive, so he walks up and starts up a conversation:

"Nice car-what's it shifting at?"

"Hell guy, I dunno. I just spin it up till the pistons swap holes and crank turns backwards and hit another gear"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1974dodgecharger

or he was just high.....people are weird anyways.   :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Too bad you didn't know where the conversation was headed first and you could have given him an equally strange answer Myk.

What gear does it shift at?
B35 on the square pinion, everyone knows that.

Chargerguy74

Quote from: HANDM on September 08, 2014, 07:13:06 PM
Quote from: Chargerguy74 on September 07, 2014, 10:13:08 PM

My cars know better, I threaten them with the junkyard often, keeps em in line   :lol:

Lol!
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002