News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Myths BUSTED

Started by Cncguy, September 08, 2014, 02:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

A few common aero-related items:

> Daytona (and Superbird) nosecones were fiberglass

> Daytonas (and Charger 500's) were Charger R/T's randomly pulled from the line for conversion

> Street Daytonas (and Superbirds) were converted into NASCAR Grand National racecars

> 1970 Daytonas were factory-produced (excludes the watermelon car, although that was more or less a prototype anyway)

> On my myth list -- but perhaps not on everyones' -- is vinyl top '69 aero Chargers.  So far, I remain unconvinced that Chrysler ever sanctioned a vinyl top for 1969 aero Chargers (Charger 500 or Daytona) in either a ModTop material or otherwise.  Until credible evidence proves otherwise, I'll stick my neck out and call this a myth.  Dealer-installed or secondary-vendor-installed prior to delivery at the dealership or to the original owner?  Most definitely... but corporate-sanctioned??  This Missouri (i.e. The Show-Me-State) boy has seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

John_Kunkel

"Removing the accumulator spring will firm up the 1-2 upshift in a Torqueflite".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TUFCAT

MYTH: "front sway bars were left bare cast metal"  :pullinghair:

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on September 09, 2014, 01:00:36 PM

> Daytonas (and Charger 500's) were Charger R/T's randomly pulled from the line for conversion

> Street Daytonas (and Superbirds) were converted into NASCAR Grand National racecars

> 1970 Daytonas were factory-produced (excludes the watermelon car, although that was more or less a prototype anyway)

> On my myth list -- but perhaps not on everyones' -- is vinyl top '69 aero Chargers.  So far, I remain unconvinced that Chrysler ever sanctioned a vinyl top for 1969 aero Chargers (Charger 500 or Daytona) in either a ModTop material or otherwise.  Until credible evidence proves otherwise, I'll stick my neck out and call this a myth.  Dealer-installed or secondary-vendor-installed prior to delivery at the dealership or to the original owner?  Most definitely... but corporate-sanctioned??  This Missouri (i.e. The Show-Me-State) boy has seen nothing to convince me otherwise.

Add:  Superbirds were built at Creative Industries. 

histoy

Excuse my ignorance guys, but where were the Super Birds built?

TUFCAT

Built at Lynch Road Assembly without nose and wing. Trucked 5-1/2 miles to Chrysler's Clairpointe Facility on Jefferson Ave and Clairpointe Street (basically across the street from Jefferson Assembly) to have the wing and nose installed and painted...

Once completed, the Superbirds were trucked back to Lynch Road for invoicing, final assembly/inspection, and shipping.  

Clairpointe was also known as the pilot plant where new models (pilot cars) were assembled - partly by hand, and partly using their own small scale assembly line to test and calibrate new assembly line fixtures, etc.

ACUDANUT

NICE THREAD. If you bust a myth (so to speak) at least explain why it was false.  :Twocents:

histoy

Thanks for the Super Bird info TUFCAT. 

pettybird

Quote from: Aero426 on September 09, 2014, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on September 09, 2014, 01:00:36 PM

Add:  Superbirds were built at Creative Industries. 

Add:  Superbirds are Dodges.
The nose cones fit C3 Corvettes
Your neighbor's cousin's aunt's high school crush had one JUST LIKE THIS.

General:
My/my brother's/this guy's (insert any muscle car here) would pull the front wheels in any gear
(Same situation as above) would do 180mph BONE STOCK.

pettybird

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 09, 2014, 06:06:47 PM
Built at Lynch Road Assembly without nose and wing. Trucked 5-1/2 miles to Chrysler's Clairpointe Facility on Jefferson Ave and Clairpointe Street (basically across the street from Jefferson Assembly) to have the wing and nose installed and painted...

Scoops and decals installed too  :yesnod:

TUFCAT

MYTH:  "White Hat Special" package came standard with a white vinyl top *  

* - Actually buyers had the choice of black or white....and ironically most were black. :icon_smile_wink:

Ghoste

I believe you could delete the top too?

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 09, 2014, 06:31:11 PM
NICE THREAD. If you bust a myth (so to speak) at least explain why it was false.  :Twocents:

x2

Mopar4me

A limited slip differential is called a Posi!

familymopar

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 10, 2014, 05:47:54 PM
MYTH:  "White Hat Special" package came standard with a white vinyl top *  

* - Actually buyers had the choice of black or white....and ironically most were black. :icon_smile_wink:

I think buyers of WHS cars could have white, black, green, or tan vinyl tops, but they had to have a vinyl top.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipLetters/1-2-1969%20letter%20white%20hat%20special%20cars%20p2.jpg

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

TUFCAT

Ghoste

That Road Runners could be had with a 440 four barrel.  (excluding the Superbird and Road Runner GTX)

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on September 15, 2014, 06:24:14 AM
That Road Runners could be had with a 440 four barrel.  (excluding the Superbird and Road Runner GTX)

Wait...they couldn't get a 440/4?

TUFCAT

Correct. The 383 was the standard Road Runner engine* (w/hemi optional) until 1971 when the optional 340 was added to the line-up...  

In 1972 the Hemi was gone of course, the 400 became standard, 340 optional, and 440-4bbl added as top engine option (called Roadrunner GTX).

In 1973 the standard engine became the 318.... the 340, 400, and 440 were optional. The same in 1974 (the only variation was 360 replacing 340).

*  excluding 1969 A12 440-6 package.

Kern Dog

Really? They were not steel?
Some beliefs that I do not agree with:
Torsion bar suspensions are antiquated and need to be replaced with some coil over type design with a rack and pinion steering.
Mopars are straight line cars...handling has never been a consideration.

Ghoste

They are steel, he meant the glass ones as the myth.

Daytona R/T SE

The Myth:

Left hand threads on the wheel studs are stupid.  :brickwall:

Uh... Turn the lug wrench the other way, Gomer.   ::)

myk

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 15, 2014, 08:47:48 PM

Mopars are straight line cars...handling has never been a consideration.

Thankfully the aftermarket keeps that a myth as well...

Ghoste

Cncguy

Just thought of this one. NOS when referring to parts means New Old Stock, not new reproduction of an old part.