News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Myths BUSTED

Started by Cncguy, September 08, 2014, 02:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cncguy

I thought this would be a good thread to dispel, or bust any current, or past mopar myths.

I will start. A common myth is that the A833 18 spline was only available in the Hemi. Presumably why it's called the Hemi trans. In fact it was used in all 440, and 426 hi performance applications

timmycharger

That having a 440 HP2 block automatically means its from a six pack engine...  :shruggy:

Troy

Ones I hear all the time about my cars:
Headrests weren't available in 68.
All E Bodies had sport mirrors.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Cncguy on September 08, 2014, 02:18:55 PM
I thought this would be a good thread to dispel, or bust any current, or past mopar myths.

I will start. A common myth is that the A833 18 spline was only available in the Hemi. Presumably why it's called the Hemi trans. In fact it was used in all 440, and 426 hi performance applications

There is a big difference between a myth and being uninformed. Of course, youth and inexperience may have something to do with it.

Cncguy

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 08, 2014, 03:08:10 PM
Quote from: Cncguy on September 08, 2014, 02:18:55 PM

There is a big difference between a myth and being uninformed. Of course, youth and inexperience may have something to do with it.

Yes! But This is a good way to get them informed.

Cncguy

Small blocks and big blocks don't require different k members.

Except Hemi.

Mike DC

QuoteSmall blocks and big blocks don't require different k members.

That one depends on the year.

--------------------------------------------------

I have yet to come across a real factory 440 Hemi 6-pack car.  

Ghoste

That the federal government gave Chrysler money during the Iacocca era.  The feds guaranteed the loan, essentially they were co-signors on money that Chrysler borrowed from the banks.  For taking this risk Chrysler paid the feds a handsome fee.

bill440rt

The General Lee was an option package in 1969. 

:poke:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

ITSA426

All b body hemi cars came with Dana rear ends

Indygenerallee

QuoteThe General Lee was an option package in 1969. 
:lol: :smilielol: :rofl:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on September 08, 2014, 03:24:05 PM
That the federal government gave Chrysler money during the Iacocca era.  The feds guaranteed the loan, essentially they were co-signors on money that Chrysler borrowed from the banks.  For taking this risk Chrysler paid the feds a handsome fee.

Reality:  Deal included huge Chrysler-only tax breaks.   Government was paid back with their own money.

TUFCAT

Chrysler built a running driving prototype of a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda....aka 4-door 'Cuda concept car.  It was seen parked on a loading dock at Chrysler Highland Park Engineering complex by a mail-boy in November, 1969.   :shruggy:

HANDM

69 Chargers came with headlight bezels.....

6bblgt

440+6 engines had six pack rods

Brock Lee

1968-1970 Dodge Chargers are rare.

ECS

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 08, 2014, 09:18:49 PM
Chrysler built a running driving prototype of a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was seen parked on a loading dock at Chrysler Highland Park Engineering complex by a mail-boy in November, 1969.   :shruggy:

Other than your opinion of it being a "myth", could you please refer us to the documentation that "busts" the 4 Door Story?  Since you demand rock solid documentation for everything, I presume you have absolute proof that debunks Mr. Johnson's recollection of what he saw in 1969.......right?

4-Door Barracuda
As an employee of Chrysler Corporation in 1969-70, I had the opportunity to see many things the "general public" never did.  Not because I was that  important, but because I worked in the mail room and delivering the mail was that important. One such sight was a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was parked for only about two days on a kind of  loading dock attached to the back of Chrysler's World Headquarters building in their Highland Park complex.  This was around November of 1969.  The dock seemed to be a temporary holding cell for an assortment of interesting cars.  It was the same building Lynn Townsend, Virgil Boyd and more importantly Tom Hoover worked in.  Naturally, Chrysler never made a 4-door Barracuda but the one I saw looked surprisingly good.  I always assumed it was created around a B-body chassis because the proportions still looked just right despite the obvious body stretch necessary  to pull it off. Having seen this car is even more significant now since the Autoweek story about Ford using their new Mustang platform to build other, less sporty cars - like a 4-door.   Roger Johnson

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

JB400

Chrysler built a running driving prototype of a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was seen parked on a loading dock at Chrysler Highland Park Engineering complex by a mail-boy in November, 1969.   :shruggy:
Quote from: ECS on September 09, 2014, 12:39:10 AM
Chrysler built a running driving prototype of a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was seen parked on a loading dock at Chrysler Highland Park Engineering complex by a mail-boy in November, 1969.   :shruggy:

Other than your opinion of it being a "myth", could you please refer us to the documentation that "busts" the 4 Door Story?  Since you demand rock solid documentation for everything, I presume you have absolute proof that debunks Mr. Johnson's recollection of what he saw in 1969.......right?

4-Door Barracuda
As an employee of Chrysler Corporation in 1969-70, I had the opportunity to see many things the "general public" never did.  Not because I was that  important, but because I worked in the mail room and delivering the mail was that important. One such sight was a bright red 1970, 4-door Barracuda.  It was parked for only about two days on a kind of  loading dock attached to the back of Chrysler's World Headquarters building in their Highland Park complex.  This was around November of 1969.  The dock seemed to be a temporary holding cell for an assortment of interesting cars.  It was the same building Lynn Townsend, Virgil Boyd and more importantly Tom Hoover worked in.  Naturally, Chrysler never made a 4-door Barracuda but the one I saw looked surprisingly good.  I always assumed it was created around a B-body chassis because the proportions still looked just right despite the obvious body stretch necessary  to pull it off. Having seen this car is even more significant now since the Autoweek story about Ford using their new Mustang platform to build other, less sporty cars - like a 4-door.   Roger Johnson

Considering the fact that this deal between the both of you is old and overdone, it's time for both of you to let it go.  Both of you have been jumping from forum to forum, lunging at each others' throats.  It's time that either both of you step away from the subject, or step away from the computer :Twocents:

ECS

Quote from: JB400 on September 09, 2014, 12:58:20 AM
Considering the fact that this deal between the both of you is old and overdone, it's time for both of you to let it go.

I don't have a problem doing just that!  I'm curious however.  Had I not commented, would you still have posted to chastise his "old and overdone" initiating jab or does the topic only become problematic when I respond?   :scratchchin:  :lol:    
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

JB400

Quote from: ECS on September 09, 2014, 01:21:52 AM
Quote from: JB400 on September 09, 2014, 12:58:20 AM
Considering the fact that this deal between the both of you is old and overdone, it's time for both of you to let it go.

I don't have a problem doing just that!  I'm curious however.  Had I not commented, would you still have posted to chastise his "old and overdone" initiating jab or does the topic only become a problematic when I respond?   :scratchchin:  :lol:    
Honestly, I was seriously considering responding to Tufcat on this ordeal. I just decided to read another thread while I thought it over.  Being that you responded while I was still deciding, it just frosted the cake and added a cherry on top.  I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and quote you both, considering my reply applies to both of you.  Tufcat and I agree on quite a few things, but this car isn't one of them.  I'd like to see you build it for the sake of being different.  It could be worse, you could of built a 4 dr. 2nd gen Charger.  Maybe, that would have been better. :shruggy:

Enough hijack, back to topic :popcrn:

Ghoste

Quote from: stripedelete on September 08, 2014, 08:19:35 PM
That the federal government gave Chrysler money during the Iacocca era.  The feds guaranteed the loan, essentially they were co-signors on money that Chrysler borrowed from the banks.  For taking this risk Chrysler paid the feds a handsome fee.

Reality:  Deal included huge Chrysler-only tax breaks.   Government was paid back with their own money.

Government wasn't "paid back"- they never gave them any cash.  The tax break was Chrysler only because Chrysler was the only one about to go bankrupt at the time.  They also got concessions from the UAW.

wingcar

Some how I knew you would be throwing that one out at some point in time..... :lol:
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2014, 06:09:46 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on September 08, 2014, 08:19:35 PM
That the federal government gave Chrysler money during the Iacocca era.  The feds guaranteed the loan, essentially they were co-signors on money that Chrysler borrowed from the banks.  For taking this risk Chrysler paid the feds a handsome fee.

Reality:  Deal included huge Chrysler-only tax breaks.   Government was paid back with their own money.

Government wasn't "paid back"- they never gave them any cash.  The tax break was Chrysler only because Chrysler was the only one about to go bankrupt at the time.  They also got concessions from the UAW.

Semantics....
They got a loan that they were able to pay back because they were given a different tax law from everyone else.  
They were also allowed to stiff their suppliers.  Sounds familiar.

Just to complex to simply state they didn't get a loan and bust a myth.

Ghoste

It isnt semantics.  The myth is that the federal government loaned them money and they didn't. 

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on September 09, 2014, 08:59:40 AM
It isnt semantics.  The myth is that the federal government loaned them money and they didn't. 

You are correct.  The government only guaranteed the loan.   

Maybe semantics is not the right word.  Lets say you need money, but, you are unwilling to accept charity.  So, I come over and give you $2,000 for your $20 dollar 10 speed bike.   What is that?   

The payback came in large part from the money that was not paid to the government in the form of taxes. :shruggy:

All good fun Ghoste.  Sometime we'll have a beer and you can convince me.   :icon_smile_big: