News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cost to build a garage ?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, September 06, 2014, 03:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Homerr on September 07, 2014, 09:57:21 AM
Heh, yeah, city living is expensive.  But I get paid in dollars, not goats and chickens.   :P

Our lot is 6000sf and in a nice neighborhood.

Apparently...

My goats and chickens will buy a lot more than your dollars. ;) :smilielol:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Aero426 on September 07, 2014, 11:06:35 AM
Quote from: NHCharger on September 06, 2014, 07:48:47 PM

If you want to insulate someday, think about 2 x 6 wall studs.      
On my ceiling, my standard quote was wall ties 48" apart.   I upgraded to 24" on center.
What is the material used for the side walls?   I paid extra for OSB.   Not all quotes will include this.
I got a pair of slider windows, one for each side to get some air moving through.  
You might think about upgrading to a higher quality shingle to extend the life of the roof up front.

Doug,

The lower price quote I got was for ties 48" apart.

The higher quote was for 24" on center.

Both quotes included OSB all the way around, and 30 year architectural shingles.

Dutch lap vinyl siding.

The 2 X 6 side walls would be a good idea, for extra insulation,

But my current shop is 2 X 4 studs, insulated.

I have no problem heating or cooling my current set up, for what I think is a reasonable cost, so I was going to mimic it on the next building.

I'm glad you responded to this Doug, since your garage was an inspiration to me on this project.

It just needs to be a little deeper and a little wider for me.

;)

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: stripedelete on September 07, 2014, 10:45:08 AM
24 x 40 x 8 ?   Build it yourself.

I would love to,

I have the skills...

Been there,

Done that.

For others.

Many times.

For free.

But...

Now, time is hard to come by...

And getting ANYBODY to get up off of their asses and actually help ME is simply impossible.

:brickwall: :brickwall::brickwall:

twodko

2x6 framing is a must have for many reasons.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Homerr

If you really want to see some examples built, get ideas, etc. - garagejournal.com forums are a great resource.

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 07, 2014, 01:40:49 PM

And getting ANYBODY to get up off of their asses and actually help ME is simply impossible.

:brickwall: :brickwall::brickwall:

With my back issues, I can supervise...I just ask for pizza as payment   :D

Old Moparz

Can't help with pricing, I've been out of that loop too long.  :shruggy:

I did read what you are building & wondered if you plan on running electric or water to it, maybe at a later date? Even if you are sure you aren't using it as a shop, it would be a good idea to stub several conduits up through the slab & have them terminate outside close to the building. Cap both ends of each one & you won't have to worry about cutting or drilling later.  :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Old Moparz on September 08, 2014, 12:48:15 AM
Can't help with pricing, I've been out of that loop too long.  :shruggy:

I did read what you are building & wondered if you plan on running electric or water to it, maybe at a later date? Even if you are sure you aren't using it as a shop, it would be a good idea to stub several conduits up through the slab & have them terminate outside close to the building. Cap both ends of each one & you won't have to worry about cutting or drilling later.  :Twocents:

It will have electric right away.

It just isn't included in the bids I've received.

Aero426

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 07, 2014, 01:30:10 PM

I'm glad you responded to this Doug, since your garage was an inspiration to me on this project.

;)

I agree.   Mine is 36 x 22 and I could use 2 feet in either direction (38 X 24) to make it work better for me.    I think your size is spot on.    I have a small junky shed I should have taken down and applied that space to the garage instead to get the max square footage allowed.    

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Aero426 on September 08, 2014, 02:15:26 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 07, 2014, 01:30:10 PM

;)

I agree.   Mine is 36 x 22 and I could use 2 feet in either direction to make it work better for me.    I think your size is spot on.    I have a small junky shed I should have taken down and applied that space to the garage instead to get the max square footage allowed.     

Bigger is always better.  ;) :cheers:

el dub

Maybe try this.
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

AKcharger

This might sound ridiculous, but have you thought of looking for another place that Already has a big garage/barn built?  Might be an answer

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: AKcharger on September 09, 2014, 12:14:41 PM
This might sound ridiculous, but have you thought of looking for another place that Already has a big garage/barn built?  Might be an answer

I thought of that.

But the best solution would be to off my collection of junk all together. :eek2:

John_Kunkel

Same thing as the OP except 45' X 24', stucco exterior, power and door openers cost me $25k in 1998 so I'd say that's a good price today.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Daytona R/T SE

I pulled the trigger tonight on the 24 X 40. :eek2:

It's going to be several hundred dollars cheaper than originally quoted. :coolgleamA:

Apparently... :scratchchin:

There's a coupon ?  :shruggy:

:smilielol:

green69rt

just a thought,  add two feet to the height..  I really don't know what it would cost but it add a lot of extra space vs moving the walls out....

Aero426

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 17, 2014, 10:48:04 PM
I pulled the trigger tonight on the 24 X 40. :eek2:

It's going to be several hundred dollars cheaper than originally quoted. :coolgleamA:

Apparently... :scratchchin:

There's a coupon ?  :shruggy:

:smilielol:
:cheers:

69_500

That is not a bad price. I was quoted $29k to do a 32x40 here on my property.

twodko

Mr. Kunkel,

If I buy another toy I'll need to park my Ram outside.........I haven't told it yet though.
I've seen those sheet metal covered pipe frame "portable" garages similar to the one you have.
I wouldn't need the RV height like yours just tall enough to park my truck under. "Standard Height"?
Are they worth the money? How do you like the one you have?

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!