News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody with a "service pit" in their garage?

Started by 68X426, September 07, 2014, 04:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Anybody with a "service pit" in their garage?   :scratchchin:

I'm ready to have a detached garage/shop built, 25x40, concrete foundation.  I am evaluating having a pit built into the concrete. 

So looking for dimensions, and how to design the steps down, and how to design a strong wood cover when not in use.  Yeah I know that ramps are cheap, but we only have once chance to include a pit, so wondering if anyone has one and what it's measurements are.

Thanks guys.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

74bluecharger440

If you have a service pit and the water table is high, you then need to take into consideration a sump pump to keep it dry

tan top

seriously  IMO your better off saving money &  having a lift  ,  &  investing in a good quality high lift jack & jack stands ,    use to have a pit, at work , when  I was a mechanic , would only use it if the other lifts  tied up with cars half apart waiting on parts etc  ,  it gets old real quick working with your arms over head , etc  something that is taking time to do !! , ok with a quick lift up & down like a gearbox / exhausts etc  ,  also  there is never enough side room  , & your limited to what you can do ,    pits ok , if you need to torque suspension bolts / nuts up , with weight on the wheels etc  & inspecting the under side  ! , remember fuel vapour collects down there too .   
     :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

I have to agree with TT.  It's no fun working in a pit.  If you can have a lift then there's no contest.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

If you look at any new auto shop that was built in the last 20 years, there are no pits, just lifts.  There must be a reason.  If you go the lift route then think about taller side walls.  At least ten feet,  probably cost less to add height than to dig a pit.

rt green

we have 2 pits at work. everyone avoids them.   nothing like almost falling in one. scares the hell out you. and if you are the only one home for a few hours, well, I guess they'll find you at some point.
third string oil changer

68X426

All of this is great advice.  I'm going to cross the pit off my list.   :yesnod:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Indygenerallee

You will be happy with a lift! There is a reason you don't see many pit's nowadays (unless your in a road tractor service facility!)
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

polywideblock

Quote from: rt green on September 07, 2014, 11:36:52 AM
we have 2 pits at work. everyone avoids them.   nothing like almost falling in one. scares the hell out you. and if you are the only one home for a few hours, well, I guess they'll find you at some point.

happened at the work dept last week night shift "greaser" didn't show at knock off found dead in the pit, only 42  heart attack they think  :rotz:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Windsor

Have one in the garage. Not a full size pit, but one that is big enough to get under the vehicles on a creeper. It is 14' long, 2' wide, 1' deep. It actually works out really well, no issues from Hyundai Sonata (bone stock) to my lifted Toyota Tacoma. Contractor was the first one to fall in, then my uncles boxer fell in 3 times (that dog is a moron). Ended up using plywood and 2x4s to make panels that are strong enough to walk across or put drain pan on, but light enough to pull out and set aside. Whole thing is coated in epoxy garage floor paint.

A12 Superbee

Pits are dangerous and also have a lot more OH&S implications.

Not to say lifts, or hoists as we call them don't have their own inherent risks, they are vastly more flexible than a hole in the ground will ever be.

I have one, a short rise two post, brings the car up only 4 feet but that's enough to whizz around on my little wheeled chair and do most things. I was limited due to roof height of my garage.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!