News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

not a million dollar cuda but

Started by polywideblock, August 29, 2014, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUFCAT

Where's Dave Walden from ECS when you need him?  :shruggy:

JB400

wingcar

Really?  I hear that the seller will include the title to a bridge in Brooklyn to the buyer.

(That much for a clone, and it doesn't even have a Dana rearend?)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

myk

What's wrong with plastic wiring covers?   :shruggy:

BananaDan

I've never actually read one of Galen's letters before but jeez. An english teacher would light that thing up with a red pen.  Also, what does he mean by 29 of 31 in sequence and why is that significant?

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

Another thing I noticed, if Galen's letter says no R/T convertibles were produced in 71, shouldn't there be R/T striping and decal options listed on the dealer addendum?  I see a lot of options added but nothing mentioning R/T badging/decals/stripes.  Not only does the car wear them now but moving it to a Hemi would have required it to be an R/T, right?
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Ghoste

Quote from: myk on September 04, 2014, 08:16:00 AM

They look like crap.  Its a GM thing.

TUFCAT

6bbl, I'd like to know more about the paper trail. It does look suspicious for the reason the dealer decided to list individual option sales code numbers on the addendum sheet, along with (what appears to be) MSRP prices.  Where did they pull those odd prices from?

pettybird

Quote from: polywideblock on August 30, 2014, 05:07:23 PM
isn't the totally black underside part of the dealer installed j55  undercoating   :scratchchin:

Yes and no.  The rear suspension, fuel tank and other big components weren't sprayed.  Some stuff was there already but this is a crime of Krylon proportions.  

Quote from: BananaDan on September 04, 2014, 08:16:27 AM
Also, what does he mean by 29 of 31 in sequence and why is that significant?

It's #29 of the 31 he's been told about.  As for the second part, a quote from Dark Helmet:  "Absolutely nothing, which is what you are about to become."

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 03, 2014, 03:05:02 PM
window sticker is not an original & addendum is not authentic  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Would you mind enlightening us?  In all seriousness ECS Dave's input here would be more than welcomed.

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 30, 2014, 05:35:11 PM
I believe there's been an entire thread devoted to this subject recently.  :D

:whistling:

pettybird

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 04, 2014, 05:29:07 PM
I'd like to know more about that paper tail since 6bbl brought it up. It does look suspicious.  I don't have a clue why a dealer lists individual option code numbers on an addendum sheet, along with what appears to be MSRP prices.

Well *I* would be that nerdy, but it would have cost a TON more to install a Hemi than $780...that's less than the parts counter price on a 427/425 long block from Motion in the same time frame (I got a pile of old NY/NJ magazines a while back--don't ask.)  

It was like $125 for the wheel/tire upgrade to 15" rallyes, too.  Tires alone had to be $30 each back then, as did the wheels.  

TUFCAT

Now I'm A SERIOUS DOUBTER.

I did some research, and I was correct....

This addendum has the EXACT Sales Codes and factory Retail MSRP prices.

E74 - Hemi engine $789.95
N96 - Shaker Hood $114.20* (I think was standard with a Hemi Challenger for 71)
J45  - Hood pins $15.20
W21 - 15" Rallye Wheels $154.35** ( This is not factory MSRP - it was actually $54.35 so they arbitrarily add $100 for tires?)
J46  -  Flip-open  GasCap $7.75
W34-  Collapsable spare $12.55
J55 -  Undercoating $20.80
J41 -  Pedal Dress-up $5.40
G33 and G31 - Chrome racing mirrors driver and passenger side $25.75***  (each option costs $14.95 and $10.80 respectively)

Instead of the Dealer going through trouble of listing the retail sales codes (that only apply to the factory) why not list the part cost and labor cost seperately? I would expect to see some parts and labor breakdowns before I saw factory MSRP prices applied to an addendum.  Any dealer wants to make money that's why I believe they would they would usually charge "one price" for the entire upgrade and only list what's included with the deal....(the factory MSRP goes right out the window because dealer cost for each part is far more than the window sticker reflects).  To make a decent profit, they need to bleed the customer for as much $$ as possible...

IMO an average dealer wouldn't do this in 1971.....but in 2014 it certainly appears to be a great idea to "document" owner installed options... then try to create some provenance along the way.  Yup, its a loaded car all right - - loaded with bullshit.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

I couldn't find anything on Public Law 85-806 either.  WHY?  BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY FAKE- - Just like the paper its written on!!

pettybird

6bblgt

The window sticker is missing some info that should be there: W34 was a mandatory OPTION on all e-body convertibles, no route code & I forget what else is wrong with it.  There is/was a recent thread on MOPARTS.

this is all I could find about PUBLIC LAW 85-806 - Indian Affairs & Housing  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 04, 2014, 06:02:29 PM
Now I'm A SERIOUS DOUBTER.

I did some research, and I was correct....

This addendum has the EXACT Sales Codes and factory Retail MSRP prices.

E74 - Hemi engine $789.95
N96 - Shaker Hood $114.20* (I think was standard with a Hemi Challenger for 71)
J45  - Hood pins $15.20
W21 - 15" Rallye Wheels $154.35** ( This is not factory MSRP - it was actually $54.35 so they arbitrarily add $100 for tires?)
J46  -  Flip-open  GasCap $7.75
W34-  Collapsable spare $12.55
J55 -  Undercoating $20.80
J41 -  Pedal Dress-up $5.40
G33 and G31 - Chrome racing mirrors driver and passenger side $25.75***  (each option costs $14.95 and $10.80 respectively)

Instead of the Dealer going through trouble of listing the retail sales codes (that only apply to the factory) why not list the part cost and labor cost seperately? I would expect to see some parts and labor breakdowns before I saw factory MSRP prices applied to an addendum.  Any dealer wants to make money that's why I believe they would they would usually charge "one price" for the entire upgrade and only list what's included with the deal....(the factory MSRP goes right out the window because dealer cost for each part is far more than the window sticker reflects).  To make a decent profit, they need to bleed the customer for as much $$ as possible...

IMO an average dealer wouldn't do this in 1971.....but in 2014 it certainly appears to be a great idea to "document" owner installed options... then try to create some provenance along the way.  Yup, its a loaded car all right - - loaded with bullshit.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

I couldn't find anything on Public Law 85-806 either.  WHY?  BECAUSE IT'S TOTALLY FAKE- - Just like the paper its written on!!

:smilielol:
Check out the spelling errors on that one, too!  :smilielol: :smilielol: :lol: :lol:

Exaust - Exhaust
Filptop - Fliptop
Collapisible - Collapsible

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

TUFCAT

I can prove the addendum sticker is fake because whomever printed it made a very stupid error....

Public Law "85-806" referenced should actually be 85-506 -  DOH!!

As part of the Automobile Information Disclosure Act of 1958, Public Law 85-506 is what is commonly referred to as the Monroney Label Law named after Oklahoma congressman Mike Monroney, who sponsored the law in the late 50's.  Before the advent of the Monroney sticker, car dealers could ask whatever the hell they wanted for a new car just as they do with used cars today. Somehow the government decided that wasn't a good idea, and thus began the era of the new car window sticker.

(Pub. Law. 85-506, Sec. 4, July 7, 1958)

(a) Failure to affix required label.

Any manufacturer of automobiles distributed in commerce who
willfully fails to affix to any new automobile manufactured or
imported by him the label required by section 1232 of this title
shall be fined not more than $1,000. Such failure with respect to
each automobile shall constitute a separate offense.

(b) Failure to endorse required label

Any manufacturer of automobiles distributed in commerce who
willfully fails to endorse clearly, distinctly and legibly any
label as required by section 1232 of this title, or who makes a
false endorsement of any such label, shall be fined not more than
$1,000. Such failure or false endorsement with respect to each
automobile shall constitute a separate offense.

(c) Removal, alteration, or illegibility of required label

Any person who willfully removes, alters, or renders illegible
any label affixed to a new automobile pursuant to section 1232 of
this title, or any endorsement thereon, prior to the time that such
automobile is delivered to the actual custody and possession of the
ultimate purchaser of such new automobile, except where the
manufacturer relabels the automobile in the event the same is
rerouted, repurchased, or reacquired by the manufacturer of such
automobile, shall be fined not more than $1,000, or imprisoned not
more than one year, or both. Such removal, alteration, or
rendering illegible with respect to each automobile shall
constitute a separate offense.

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on September 04, 2014, 08:59:58 AM
Quote from: myk on September 04, 2014, 08:16:00 AM

They look like crap.  Its a GM thing.

So what are we supposed to be covering/concealing/bundling wires with? 

Aero426

Quote from: myk on September 05, 2014, 02:15:09 PM

The colored plastic coating on the copper strands is usually good enough. 

bill440rt

Quote from: Aero426 on September 05, 2014, 02:26:56 PM

:lol:  :iagree:

Wire harness tape, cloth tape, or if you really have to cover it with something either Summit or Crutchfield sells a black mesh harness wrap/cover that is MUCH more attractive than that convoluted stuff.  :eek2:   Same principle, just much better looking.
But that's a topic for another thread.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

myk

Quote from: Aero426 on September 05, 2014, 02:26:56 PM

Sounds "unfinished" to me, but ok...

Quote from: bill440rt on September 05, 2014, 02:42:52 PM

Wire harness tape, cloth tape, or if you really have to cover it with something either Summit or Crutchfield sells a black mesh harness wrap/cover that is MUCH more attractive than that convoluted stuff.  :eek2:   Same principle, just much better looking.
But that's a topic for another thread.

Learn something everyday-I'll check it out...

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

no stupid buy it now  price this time  ,wonder if he's seen the forums discussing his car yet  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE