News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Jaw dropping prices at muscle car auction...Jaw droppingly low!

Started by AKcharger, August 29, 2014, 02:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I watched bit of Auction America muscle car auction in Indiana "live" I was amazed how Little these cars sold for!! People selling custom cars lost their #$%^ BIG TIME! The experts who were interviewed between cars consistently predicted the cars  would go for twice the amount they actually sold for.

The auction is still on going on so I can't link the results but here's what I recall:

1971 Roadrunner 383/4 speed (not original) Air Grabber, rear spoiler, outstanding paint, interior...sold for $19,500
1974 Camaro LT 1 again outstanding condition $9500
1969 Camaro SS 396 all original excellent condition $21,500 (Not sure if it sold but that was final bid)
1978 25th Anniversary Vette, perfect! I think that went for $12,500
1955 Chevy Show car...gorgeous in every way! $25,500
1999 Camaro SS nice $7500
1953 Custom Dodge Pick-up, awesome show truck, $17,000
Gave up watching was too depressing

The gallery seemed big enough...maybe the bottoms getting weak  :shruggy:

Ghoste

Hard to say, what looks good on tv could have been a real turd when you see it in person.  As for customs, they're a tough sell no matter what.  The very nature of the idea of it being custom means that you modified it for your personal taste.  When you sell it you have to hope there is a buyer with your exact taste, when you auction you have to hope there are at least two of them.

stripedelete

Prices on the first day (Thursday) of the Barrett Jackson in Reno  this summer were very low. There were a 1/2 dozen around $10k  that, unless they didn't run, were a great deal. :shruggy:

Ghoste

The first day of the auction is typically when many of the lower grade cars are run.  The last couple of hours are often low too.

JB400

Personally, out the list given, I don't see any "WOW" cars that would demand premium bucks.  I haven't seen the cars in person, but it looks like they brought what they were worth and what you might find them priced at on Craigslist or Ebay.

TUFCAT

Now's the time to buy!!  :yesnod:  Resq302, are you seeing this?  Take the huge offer now!

stripedelete

Quote from: Ghoste on August 29, 2014, 03:35:39 PM
The first day of the auction is typically when many of the lower grade cars are run.  The last couple of hours are often low too.

Agreed and they were, but even for "lower grade" they appeared to be a great value.
Even the play by play guys were stammering. .  Finally, one broke ranks and said, "you could part it out for that".   
( I'm not referring to late model roached-out , shined up, Benz and BMW verts)

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

twodko

That doesn't surprise me. If it's as "real deal" as advertised that car is worth a lot more
than that to a wider group of buyers.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

AKcharger

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 29, 2014, 09:25:14 PM
All look normal to me..... :shruggy:

Well I'll only claim to be savvy on Mopar stuff, but that Runner was very nice, $25K would have been very reasonable.

Ghoste

One thing I do hope is that any deals were caught up by enthusiasts who otherwise would be outbid by flippers with big wallets.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 30, 2014, 08:07:00 AM
One thing I do hope is that any deals were caught up by enthusiasts who otherwise would be outbid by flippers with big wallets.

I totally agree!  I was thinking the same thing, it would be nice to enter the market right about now.  :cheers:

Ghoste

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 30, 2014, 02:42:01 PM
There is room in your garage for another one.  ;)

Yes I know.... just trying to find room in the checkbook!  :icon_smile_cool:

BrianShaughnessy

I'm fairly certain there's going to be a drop off in classic values fueled in part by Hellcats and such.   

It's not like the late 70s and 80s when our cars were way ahead on performance compared to the smog motor cars of the time.

Things change... time marches on.   There I said it.   :Twocents:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Aero426

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 30, 2014, 06:15:09 PM
I'm fairly certain there's going to be a drop off in classic values fueled in part by Hellcats and such.    

It's not like the late 70s and 80s when our cars were way ahead on performance compared to the smog motor cars of the time.

Things change... time marches on.   There I said it.   :Twocents:

As an enthusiast, I could only hope for thousands of old car hobby lovers to dump their old iron.    That just leaves more for the rest of us.     But I don't think it will happen in enough numbers to be significant.     The Hellcat is the flavor of the month and lots of people are talking about it.   But talk is cheap too.

There is more to the love of the old cars than outright performance.     Sixties muscle cars stand on their own for the era they represent.   

1974dodgecharger

yup talk is cheap people on facebook are going crazy saying they are gonna mortage their homes for this car.  Based on the feedback you would think you will see a HELLCAT  on parked EVERYWHERE!!!!!
Quote from: Aero426 on August 30, 2014, 06:48:01 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 30, 2014, 06:15:09 PM

Things change... time marches on.   There I said it.   :Twocents:

As an enthusiast, I could only hope for thousands of old car hobby lovers to dump their old iron.    That just leaves more for the rest of us.     But I don't think it will happen in enough numbers to be significant.     The Hellcat is the flavor of the month and lots of people are talking about it.   But talk is cheap too.

There is more to the love of the old cars than outright performance.     Sixties muscle cars stand on their own for the era they represent.   

Ghoste

myk

Quote from: Ghoste on August 31, 2014, 12:07:22 AM
Just on styling alone.

And that's something newer muscle will never be able to touch, no matter how much stupid-power they shove between the fenders...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Aero426

The current crop of Muscle Cars 2.0 is its own deal.     Time will tell how it does.   I expect some of the special cars will hold some value.    The big problem is going to be the cost to keep the stuff running over the long term.   Replacement parts and service out of warranty on the more fancy high HP stuff will cost $$$.      But they are all new now and the grass is green on that side.    

Aero426

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 30, 2014, 08:54:23 PM
yup talk is cheap people on facebook are going crazy saying they are gonna mortage their homes for this car.  Based on the feedback you would think you will see a HELLCAT  on parked EVERYWHERE!!!!!

At sticker of 60k, a Hellcat is a bargain.    Then again, 60k is not a small amount of money.  And then there will be the majority of dealers who will tack on another 10k for early buyers.     The buzz on the car is tremendous.   But I think a lot of those people talking about it may opt out when push comes to shove.    I hope they sell a lot of them. 

Ghoste

Me too, if for no other reason than to show Fiat what the American buyers like.

Mike DC

Me too, if for no other reason than to show Fiat what the American buyers like.

What American buyers really like is $70,000 3-ton 4dr pickup trucks.  That's probably the biggest message that Fiat is taking away from the last couple years.