News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Those ground straps from the chassis to the pavement question

Started by Ghoste, August 27, 2014, 11:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

They used to be common but not so much now, the ground straps that people put from the chassis and they drag on the pavement, for radio reception I believe, would these things not be a great conductor during a thunderstorm?

twodko

They're making a come back, I see them at car shows now. I've asked a couple guys why they
put them on their cars. They showed a me cool little thing that kinda looks like a light saber.
They said they used it zap Pious owners, unfortunately it's range is limited to about 15'. Even
so they're perfect for nailing the self righteous at stop signs.  :D  :smilielol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Ghoste

green69rt

Quote from: Ghoste on August 27, 2014, 11:30:27 AM
They used to be common but not so much now, the ground straps that people put from the chassis and they drag on the pavement, for radio reception I believe, would these things not be a great conductor during a thunderstorm?

Long time since I heard about them.   The only thing I can remember is that they were for grounding the car to get rid of static charges from the tires and other sources.   I'm really reaching here but I remember something about the old tires, because they were natural rubber, they insulated the car from ground.   New tires are synthetic and bleed off charges to the ground so the straps aren't required anymore.  Probably something I'm missing in this explanation but it's all I have.. :shruggy:

TUFCAT

They were popular in the early 70's... as a kid I thought they looked stupid.  Only old timers had them back then and usually on a 4-door Buick LeSabre.  :eek2:

tan top

:yesnod:  remember seeing them too , in the 70s when I was a kid  :yesnod:
, never under stood how they worked , or how could they have worked ,ok when stuck in traffic or parked !!  but  faster you go ! the air lifts them up off the road ,  no longer grounding the car :shruggy: un less all the ones I saw weren't fitted correctly
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

polywideblock

over here  we called them "static straps"   :yesnod:

worked to release static build up and stop that nasty shock as you got out of or walked up to and touched the door handle  when driving  on those hot dry dusty  days   

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

TUFCAT

I even seen them with red reflectors riveted on the straps - those were really ugly!  :eek2:

JB400

polywideblock

you can even still get them    :yesnod:      http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCA-Anti-Static-Strap-/221417252427

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

Ghoste

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 27, 2014, 12:58:09 PM
  Only old timers had them back then and usually on a 4-door Buick LeSabre. 

Which is funny because I saw them on a late model Buick.  :lol:

ODZKing

Do you stay up nights thinking about stuff like this?   :pity:

HPP

I've only ever seen them on low riders. I figured it was to discharge the static fromsliding across the crushed velvet seat with wool pants.

A savvy guy would market them to kids today saying it discharged cell phone static while fueling, thus preventing gas station fires.

70 sublime

I still see them around here (maybe once a week )

I always thought they were for static discharge but to help with car sickness (not the Dodge sickness we all have but the kind where you puke all over everything)
I never used them but my daughter always got car sick and was thinking about trying a set
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

TUFCAT

Thinking about this further ....wouldn't dragging rubber around for miles actually "create" static?  :confused:  Help me understand how it could actually "discharge" static.

Indygenerallee

I know of at least 10 trucks in my town that have those hanging down off the back.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

Quote from: ODZKing on August 27, 2014, 02:34:45 PM
Do you stay up nights thinking about stuff like this?   :pity:

No it mostly happens when I'm driving around.  So far no suggestions on the lightning strike part.

ws23rt

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 27, 2014, 03:10:08 PM
Thinking about this further ....wouldn't dragging rubber around for miles actually "create" static?  :confused:  Help me understand how it could actually "discharge" static.

My understanding is the straps that do what they are intended for have a copper mesh in them to drain static charge.  

As to where the charge comes from?  This is also an old memory----geez aren't they all these days :lol:---   Trucks with many tires that scrub the ground more than cars do tend to wipe off electrons at a higher rate than cars do thus making a bigger static charge.

If some folks are now starting to use them on cars it may be for piece of mind.  With all the electronic gizmos we have it's conceivable  they could be zapped into the zone---the sixties for example :icon_smile_wink:----

I await the rest of the story from the geeks. :yesnod:

Todd Wilson

I think their main use was to help with radio reception on vehicles back in the day. With todays vehicles I would say its pointless to do it unless you have a big HF ham radio system or something like that and then its not really needed.

With all the old points ignitions and voltage regulators and so forth it might have helped with radio reception back in the day. Lots of trucks had them to keep things grounded. Especially tanker trucks. This day and age there are ground spots they attach to in a lot of facilities but I have seen some tanker trucks still have the ground hanging down.

Todd

8WHEELER

Most of them I have seen over 30 years, were on police cars, look at the electronics in those cars   :yesnod:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

GreenMachine

From my understanding, it was before steel belted tires. The static couldn't jump the few inches of the sidewall from the wheel to the ground. With steel belted tires the static can easily jump the fraction of an inch to ground.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Ghoste

Funny thing is, I never got a static shock from an old car ever, its only been cars built within the last decade that bite me when I get out.

TUFCAT

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 28, 2014, 03:06:56 AM
   From my understanding, it was before steel belted tires. The static couldn't jump the few inches of the sidewall from the wheel to the ground. With steel belted tires the static can easily jump the fraction of an inch to ground.

That makes the most sense to me.  :think:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

HPP

It wasn't static on the ground, it was the build up of static caused by friction of the body going through the air. Aircraft have a similar problem and they deal with it via a rod, typically at the tail, to concentrate the charge and allow it to disperse.

Yes, these straps typically have a copper strand in them, or some conductive material woven into the structure, not unlike an ESD strap used in electronics assembly.