News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing ecu goo from firewall

Started by Ghoste, September 08, 2014, 08:55:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Rather than dive in blindly, any suggestions for removing that ecu goop from my firewall without harming the paint?  It melted out of the thing and ran down the panel.

Cncguy

Did it (the goo) go back to its solid state? You might try a heat gun or hair dryer.

lukedukem

you can get it at lowes
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Ghoste

It's solidified, I'm going to try the hair dryer method first.  It's an ugly mess, like a lava flow.

Cncguy

Being an engine component, it may be chemical resistant goo.

Pete in NH

Yup, it's pretty much solvent proof. Even hot solvents like lacquer thinner just kind of make it barely sticky. You might try the opposite of heat and get it as cold as you can and try peeling it off.

The stuff is called potting compound and is used in the electronics industry. There is some very nasty stuff that I thing is basically an acid that is used to remove it.

Ghoste

I was wondering about the cold method but was worried how much it could be adhering to the paint?