News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

will metal filler stick to lead?

Started by Wicked72, August 23, 2014, 04:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I replaced my quarter panel. and on the roof and rocker panel theres a ton of lead. i really do not want to re lead it. i have some metal fill and was wondering if it will work properly on the existing lead.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

green69rt

I'm going to make a SWAG, lead needs to be liquid to stick to anything.  If you want other stuff to stick to it good luck, I wouldn't try it.

Wicked72

well part of me would assume it would work only reason being is that you can primer and paint over it. I really dont want to re lead since i might screw it up and over heat it.  but theres a ton of lead in the rocker panel and this stuff is really hard to get out even after melting most of it out and running a grinder and wire wheel over it will throw all the lead into the air and all over the garage. i think i might try sanding a small area and throw a little metal fill on top of it and see what it does.

green69rt

Quote from: Wicked72 on August 24, 2014, 08:07:08 AM
well part of me would assume it would work only reason being is that you can primer and paint over it. I really dont want to re lead since i might screw it up and over heat it.  but theres a ton of lead in the rocker panel and this stuff is really hard to get out even after melting most of it out and running a grinder and wire wheel over it will throw all the lead into the air and all over the garage. i think i might try sanding a small area and throw a little metal fill on top of it and see what it does.

I would bet there are folks on this forum that have used it and have good skills.   Maybe they can speak up?

Dino

Yes you can, but when I leaded cars it still was the real stuff, you know the one that can kill you.  I don't know if it's recommended with the new stuff.  The lead on your car is ancient enough though.

Do I recommend it?  Not really.  I'm a fan of removing everything to the bare metal and starting over.  Grab a torch and get rid of the old lead.  Buy the best metal filler available and never worry again.  The stuff is stronger than lead.

Or if you really want to do it right, cut out the seam and weld in a smooth patch.  Lots more work but you'll never have a seam on the C pillar again.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Quote from: Dino on August 24, 2014, 08:24:28 AM
Yes you can, but when I leaded cars it still was the real stuff, you know the one that can kill you.  I don't know if it's recommended with the new stuff.  The lead on your car is ancient enough though.

Do I recommend it?  Not really.  I'm a fan of removing everything to the bare metal and starting over.  Grab a torch and get rid of the old lead.  Buy the best metal filler available and never worry again.  The stuff is stronger than lead.

Or if you really want to do it right, cut out the seam and weld in a smooth patch.  Lots more work but you'll never have a seam on the C pillar again.

I agree with Dino, when I replaced my cowl I got rid of all the lead and just welded it up then finished off with a little filler.  Took a little work to git rid of the lead but worth it IMO.

Wicked72

i guess ill break out the torch and get it all out.

Patronus

We're leading an E body right now actually.. Yes you can put filler on it. I will get the lead as close as possible and then even under cut it for a final filler. Primer first tho.. I think you will find using all filler instead of lead will lead to telegraphing seams. Also, as long as you don't sand it you'll be fine. Use a file instead, then just sweep it up.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE