News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How sorted is your Charger?

Started by JR, August 24, 2014, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Just wondering guys, how well sorted would you say your cars are?

What I mean by that is how reliable, turn key, fully functional are your Chargers? Do all the electrical components work properly? Would you trust it to a 200 mile road trip without popping the hood? Do you have to wiggle something or bump the dash to get it to start? Or can you jump in and go without worry?

I have been chasing stupid small gremlins for the longest time now, and every time I think I get my car to a reliable point, I find myself on the side of a road somewhere waiting for the engine to cool back down, or changing the oil because the needle stuck in the carb and washed the cylinders down with gas again.

I think I'm getting pretty close now. The wiring is all new and upgraded with modern relays. The troublesome and heavy six pack setup was replaced with a simple 4 bbl/aluminum intake combo. The tranny was upgraded with a nice auxiliary cooler. Every single mechanical component has been checked/gone thru. And I've removed every bit of unnecessary weight and have noticed the car drives better for it. The tires are new. It usually starts every time now.

That said, I'm sure you'll find me on the side of a highway somewhere soon this weekend. :smilielol:

So, just out of curiosity guys, what about your cars? How would you describe them?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Dino

Very reliable.  It had some hiccups a while back with not wanting to start but we found the culprit and all is well now.  I have taken my car on 500+ mile trips a few times without any issues.  Everything works, all gauges, all lights, all but one of the backup lights because the housing is really rusted.  And now that I remembered that I might as well go fix it!   :icon_smile_big:

Once your car is fully functional, be sure to drive it plenty because they don't like to sit for very long.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

c00nhunterjoe

Mine is turn key and go. Ive taken plenty of 100+ one way trips. Not too much further then that, just never had to go that far. Everything is not "factroy stock" under the dash or hood, but as far as fully functional, yes.

tan top

yeah sorted !  but , there are a few things I would still like to do or re do  :slap: ,

nother motor ,
four wheel discs & hydroboost  ,
nother set of wheels ,
four or 5 speed manual swap ,
swap the Ac heater box & fire wall for a standard one  :P ( should of done that at the time of the resto , but just wanted the damn thing done ! was already doing stuff that did not really need to do  :slap:  :P)

lack of disposable income has put a stop to the above stuff at this time  :brickwall: :lol:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Dino

Ah yes, if I need to post a list of what else I'd like to do to the car, we'll be here for a while.   :lol:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Baldwinvette77

Its always there when i need it..... And thats about it  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:

don duick

I have a few  Magiver style fixes ie a backup push button starter when my key switch does not work, A mechanical cable system to operate my headlight doors as I have no electric motor. My gauges don't work so I have aftermarket gauges under the dash. Had ignition and plug fowling problems now sorted with new MSD and correct heat range plugs thanks to Ron.

toocheaptosmoke

Main thing that has been an ongoing issue all summer is tweaking the carb.  Seems like even when I get it pretty close there's still something I want to improve.  ::)

Quote from: don duick on August 24, 2014, 08:40:52 AM
A mechanical cable system to operate my headlight doors as I have no electric motor.

Have any pics of this?  I've been thinking about trying to convert my hood latch cable over to run the doors. Right now I have a bungee cord holding the doors open.  :lol:

1970Moparmann

While restoring, I replaced everything more/less to make sure it was reliable.   In four years, I put 3,500 miles on it mainly long trips.   1,700, 1,200, 300.  The rest was local driving.  In all of the miles, only one voltage regulator which was bad when I first put it on the road.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Challenger340

Turn the key... wingy-dingy starter, vroom.... warm up and gone, never misses a beat and everything works as it should.
Actually kind of boring with nothing ever to fix ?
Oil Changes, yearly Points/Condenser, check tire pressure, keep it clean, but that is about it ?  
I am pretty impressed, it must like me ? VERY reliable old car !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Mine is very sorted, I would drive it across the country without worrying.

74Rallye

The only problem with my 74 SE is that it still has the original shocks, otherwise everything including the AC works. I just swapped a 4sp into my 74 Rallye so it's become an ongoing project.

grdprx

Mine is a rolling restoration project, it's being sorted out. The only time it's been on the side of the road was when I made a mistake with something here or there. Otherwise the Charger has been great, I've done a 150 miler before. 
I am confident driving her.

myk

I could daily drive my Charger if I wanted to.  Hell, even before I started any work on it I daily drove it through college in the late 90's.  Body's now rust free, suspension's partially upgraded, interior is re-done with MODERN seats that actually provide support for long hauls or spirited driving.  Honestly, the car's in the best shape of its life since I've owned it the last 20 years.  But...

I still have a long way to go: motor, OD, custom dash, heater, a REAL paint job, and the rest of the Hotchkis pieces are the major to-do's on this car.  Actually, I'll probably drop another $15K on this car before I can even begin to remotely feel a sense of satisfaction or completion...

Tmb84

Driven 1000miles last 4months. Everything works and its always ready to be used.
Love my musclecar

But i have changed self adjuster cable inside one of the back drums, a thermostat and wheels.
70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"

keith88

Getting better still working on it,but i haven't had it that long so i really dont know a lot about its history at this point but learning fast. Its been flat bedded home couple times now.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

JamieZ

It's not :(  It hasn't driven since I pulled it into the garage after the winter.  The front disc swap / suspension replacement has taken a lot longer than I had hoped.   Heck it hasn't had all 4 wheels on it in months.....

At least my e body runs and drives well :)

Charger-Bodie

I take a lot of pride in making my cars as well sorted as possible . I like everything to work properly and I can't stand rattles and/ or squeaks . With that said. My 68 is sorted awesomely ,I'd drive it anyplace . My 69 ,even though its fought me all the way is getting very close. My 70 is just a project , but someday it will be sorted out too.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ODZKing

I tinker with mine all the time but as far as driving, they are ready to go.  :icon_smile_big:
The 67 has been to Carlisle every year since 05 but this one. And Moparfest from 06 to last year.
It has also been to CEMA at the museum twice in Detroit.
The 73 is still getting a shakedown but went to Carlisle and Moparfest this year.   :2thumbs:

Back N Black

I did a complete nut and bolt restoration and driving it for 4 years now (10,000 miles). No problems at all, even the cigarette lighter works. Oh, second set of tires on the rear.

1974dodgecharger

everytime I take mine out I make sure its NEVER SORTED and bust something if I don't bust something then it was not a fun trip....

skyhawk61

Everything works on my 70 R/T, but I wouldn't go a block away from home without a spare electronic control module in the glovebox.

don duick

Quote from: toocheaptosmoke on August 24, 2014, 09:12:26 AM
Main thing that has been an ongoing issue all summer is tweaking the carb.  Seems like even when I get it pretty close there's still something I want to improve.  ::)

Quote from: don duick on August 24, 2014, 08:40:52 AM
A mechanical cable system to operate my headlight doors as I have no electric motor.

Have any pics of this?  I've been thinking about trying to convert my hood latch cable over to run the doors. Right now I have a bungee cord holding the doors open.  :lol:

here is a photo of my mechanical headlight door opener. I am not proud of this. It is made from a very long gear linkage rod and is long enough to reach the other door.

Bob T

Good effort with the cable Don, have a bit of a look around the net, might be a 12v motor you could adapt with micro limit switches, just takes time and tinkering...

Got a few rattles and squeaks in mine and it could definitely do with new drivers seat foam but its a reliable old pig, I've done 8800 miles in it since May 2012 when I replaced the front end and got it road legal. Has started to develop a #1 header leak though, and that will need attention shortly. Might be going away for work for some time so I'll probably just drive it as it is till I go.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

HeavyFuel

Very reliable since the post-resto fire up on 6 July 13......2700 miles in about 6 months of mostly in-town cruising.  (We don't have year-round driving up here in NoDak!)

As far as I know, the only thing not fully operational as intended is 1 dash light bulb behind the speedo/tach.   Swapped it out, still doesn't light.  :rotz: