News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best strategy to paint a second gen Charger?

Started by timmycharger, October 09, 2014, 02:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmycharger

Last week while my brother in law was spraying the primer/sealer on the unibody of my Charger I noticed the dutchman panel area and cowl was a bit of a beast to reach and get a nice spray pattern to lay down.   Im about 5 '10 and was having difficulty reaching that area, and Im taller than my brother in law who is actually going to spray it.  I dont have to paint the roof as the top has been installed so its going to be just the body with all the panels attatched.

Anyone have any tips for a strategy to paint the car? are you using ladders or some sort of small scaffold? Id love to be able to climb in the trunk to get to the dutchman, but the deck lid will be on. Also, on the cowl/hood, do you just go half way across and get it from the other side? I would want to have a smooth spray right across to avoid any lines, etc.

Dino

I always used a tall crate o reach the middle of taller cars.  A ladder for vans, scaffolding only for big rigs.

It's a bit of a pain because it's easier to mess up, I once flung the airhose right into the painted area because it got hung up on something so always do a dry run first to make sure you can reach everything.  Also you'll be creating more dust going up and down the crate so at the very least make sure it's real clean, same with your shoes.

Also, don't make the mistake so many make by spraying the middle of the panel first and then coming to the edge.  You start at the dge, work your way to the middle, go to the other side and pick it up where you left off.  I don't know why so many people seem to have difficulty with that.

Again, dry run first.  You don't want to realize your strategy is not going to work when you're actually painting.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-hampton

Dino, What happens if you start in the middle :scratchchin:  LEON.

Canadian1968

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 09, 2014, 06:54:13 PM

You have created a dry edge, can cause problems trying to get into melt back in as you start from the other side .  Start from edge work to center , move to other side and center to edge .

The other painter I work with still does it does from center back because he like to watch it as he draws it towards him, but he has problems when using "fast" reducers !

To answer the original question , if the windshield is in the car, you can support yourself with one hand on the windshield which should allow you some extra reach .... Watch the hose though !!!

bill440rt

Regarding inside the trunk, you could mask off the trunk floor and use that to lean or lie on while spraying the other areas. Not a fun job, BTW.
Then, unmask the floor & paint that in a separate step.

Standing on a small stool or milk crate helps to reach other areas like the back window.
I'm guilty of sometimes starting in the middle of the hood, it all depends on how slow of a reducer you are using.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Dino

Quote from: Canadian1968 on October 09, 2014, 07:33:19 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 09, 2014, 06:54:13 PM

You have created a dry edge, can cause problems trying to get into melt back in as you start from the other side .  Start from edge work to center , move to other side and center to edge .

The other painter I work with still does it does from center back because he like to watch it as he draws it towards him, but he has problems when using "fast" reducers !

To answer the original question , if the windshield is in the car, you can support yourself with one hand on the windshield which should allow you some extra reach .... Watch the hose though !!!

Exactly.  I've seen many painters start in the middle because it's what they saw the others do, and it does not create issues if you have a slow reducer and the climate is controled, but these fast reducers change the game a bit, as do really big panels.  I used to paint big rigs as well and it would be a bad idea to start in the middle on those things!  I understand watching the paint smooth as you pull it towards you but it only takes a little getting used to do go edge to edge.  You wouldn't start in the middle of the side panels either and edge to edge gives you a way smoother pattern to use and creates a more natural flow going around the car.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

hemi-hampton

I've been painting starting in the middle for 30 years. Just habit, I never had a problem in 30 years.  :scratchchin: Tried the other way & could'nt get used to it. Even did it with single stage metallics, Back when I had to do 1 a hour or 8 a day at Maaco with Western Synthetic acrylic enamal way back in the 80's. LEON.

P.S. Example below.

timmycharger

Silver R/T

Some guys would lower tire psi that way car sits lower-easier to reach the middle. Or you can take off wheels altogether and have it sit on jack stands.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Indygenerallee

hemi-hampton, I have as well always sprayed from the middle outward as well then switched sides and never had a problem with dry areas.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Canadian1968

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 19, 2014, 08:23:50 PM
hemi-hampton, I have as well always sprayed from the middle outward as well then switched sides and never had a problem with dry areas.

Honestly it's just one of those "painter" things . I know a great finish can be created with both styles . You sit a bunch painters in a room and gurantee an argument will follow !!  It's sort the same argument that you must spray all parts in the same direction or the metallics won't line up..... Let's just say I am $100 richer because of that bet !!