News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 dodge d100

Started by GDU, September 10, 2016, 08:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDU

I got that 74' dodge I've been working on for the past few weeks, and after changing all the bad parts I finally got it to run.

When I try to start the engine, It'll fire up right away and then after 10-20 seconds, it will slowly die.

Second try does the same thing, but dies slowly quicker than the first try.

Then afterwards if I want to start it, I need to keep pushing that gas pedal until it starts, but will die as soon as I remove my foot.

Help please!
Thanks

BSB67

Try the easy stuff first.  Remove the gas cap

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

nvrbdn

yep, and check to see fuel delivery. tank, pump, filter. You can disconnect the fuel line from the carb and put it in a gas can that is empty. Pour a little gas into the carb and fire the engine. check the can to see what is in there. Then repeat for the second and third start to see if you get the same amount of fuel as the first. Could be clogged filter in the tank or in line, or a weak pump.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

GDU

I'll try all that and give an update as soon as I can!
Thanks

Btw; I'm able to keep the engine running as long as I keep a little pressure on the gas.