News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel vapor separator and pressure regulator combo

Started by femtnmax, August 10, 2014, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

femtnmax

My 432 has the vapor separator in line between the mechanical pump and carb.  The mech pump is feed by an electric pump near the fuel tank.  I run most of time off the mech pump. 
I installed a new Carter street mech pump, it works fine for cruising, but on WOT acceleration the float bowls run out by end of 2nd gear.  I would like to switch to mech pump with more volume/pressure but would need a pressure regulator.  I have a quickfuel regulator but it does not separate the vapors.

Has anyone plumbed in a vapor separator and pressure regulator?   I am concerned the pressure regulator fuel return may over "power" the vapor return and stop vapor removal.
Also, does anyone make a mech pump with ceramic isolator spacer/gasket to reduce heat absorbed by the mech pump, as found on some vehicles from the factory?
Phil

flyinlow

Is your fuel pump push rod worn out? (runs out of gas in second gear)

I just use a metal 3/8 car Quest filter with a 1/4 vapor return to tank. i run my fuel lines back to the fender where it is filtered and regulated then up to the back of the carb. Wrapped in heat reflector sleeves. Hard line or braided stainless.   :Twocents:

femtnmax

Quote from: flyinlow on August 10, 2014, 10:13:42 PM
Is your fuel pump push rod worn out? (runs out of gas in second gear)

Pushrod is new.  I'm going to check running fuel pressure, just no nice simple fuel lines with gauge location like Holley has.
Phil

firefighter3931

Mancini Racing has exclusive rights to the Carter HV mechanical pump. It was discontinued for a few years but the folks at Mancini convinced them to restart production which is a very good thing.  :yesnod:

I've used several of these over the years with excellent results. This is the 6psi/120gph street pump that does not require an external regulator. The last one I used was on the old 535hp/540tq E-headed 446 that was in my car and it worked flawlessly.  :2thumbs:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/cabheen5psis.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

femtnmax

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 13, 2014, 02:07:08 AM
Mancini Racing has exclusive rights to the Carter HV mechanical pump. It was discontinued for a few years but the folks at Mancini convinced them to restart production which is a very good thing.  :yesnod:

I've used several of these over the years with excellent results. This is the 6psi/120gph street pump that does not require an external regulator. The last one I used was on the old 535hp/540tq E-headed 446 that was in my car and it worked flawlessly.  :2thumbs:
Ron

Thank you Ron.  I'm looking into the carter pump.
Phil

femtnmax

So I looked at the mechanical pump that is already on the engine...it is the Carter 6903.   So this mechanical pump must not be able to pull that well thru the Mallory electric pump I have in the fuel system near the gas tank.

I may change over to dual electric pumps in series, where the first in line pulls from the fuel tank and second in line is a back up.
When I worked for the Dept of Navy our propulsion cooling systems had 3 pumps when only one was required...having 3 pumps guaranteed almost 100% statistical reliability.   2 pumps did fairly well....so thats why I'm considering 2 pumps.
Any feedback appreciated.
Phil

green69rt

Kind of butting in here...some electric pumps are not ment to be in the line and not running.  They actually block the flow of a mechanical pump.  I get the impression that you need one or the other.  Lots of discussion about running them in series, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I'm certainly not an expert, maybe someone else can chime in??

red69superbee

i had a setup like what your talking about and the mechanical pump couldnt pull through the non running pump very well, would starve for gas just like what you said

BSB67

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 13, 2014, 02:07:08 AM
Mancini Racing has exclusive rights to the Carter HV mechanical pump. It was discontinued for a few years but the folks at Mancini convinced them to restart production which is a very good thing.  :yesnod:

I've used several of these over the years with excellent results. This is the 6psi/120gph street pump that does not require an external regulator. The last one I used was on the old 535hp/540tq E-headed 446 that was in my car and it worked flawlessly.  :2thumbs:

Nice to see this.  This was the standard in back in the day.  No fuss, no muss, direct bolt on, reliable, and solid performance.  I think it was standard factory equipment on the hemi and six pack cars.

Today, blaming the fuel pump seems to be where everyone goes at first signs of possible fuel delivery issues.  There are probably 20 items that could cause this type of symptom, and in the end it is usually not the pump.   Slapping on headers, a cam and intake is usually not enough to require the need for race type pumps or pump system requiring electric pumps, regulators, big lines...etc. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

green69rt

I thought I saw a thread on here about a faulty brand new vapor separator.  IIRC it was the because the return line did not have the correct orifice and was returning almost all the gas to the tank instead of just a small portion.  Is your separator new?? 

deepockets

The vapor return on my filter that was purchased of e-bay recently, has no restriction in it. I had to put a small main jet in the return hose. it was pissing out a 5/16 stream of fuel. I noticed this when running the engine on the test stand.

green69rt

Quote from: deepockets on August 24, 2014, 12:26:12 PM
The vapor return on my filter that was purchased of e-bay recently, has no restriction in it. I had to put a small main jet in the return hose. it was pissing out a 5/16 stream of fuel. I noticed this when running the engine on the test stand.

I've heard that story from others.  I think its supposed to have a .060 orifice in the vapor return nozzle.  It's in the FSM.

femtnmax

The vapor separator has the correct return orifice.  The mech pump must be having a harder time pulling thru the electric pump than I realized.  The electric pump is there to prime the system with todays quickly evaporating fuel.
Phil