News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Random Question

Started by NickJ, August 11, 2014, 12:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickJ

Afternoon all,
  So I've been looking at lot's of Charger pics for inspiration and I've noticed that some vinyl top cars that no longer have vinyl keep the trim. Any thoughts on this? On the one hand.. without that chrome strip the sail panels look even sleeker, on the other hand that chrome strip seems to break the lines a bit (in a good way)even on cars only using one color.  What is everyone's thought?  My Charger would have been A4 with Black top and I don't want to replace the vinyl.. wondering if I should keep the trim or just fill the holes.

:cheers:
Nick

Ghoste

I think fill the holes especially with A4 where the trim is slightly less noticeable anyway.  :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

I think the reason some folks keep the trim is to avoid having to fill the holes. I vote "no trim".
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

hemi68charger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 11, 2014, 12:25:02 PM
I think the reason some folks keep the trim is to avoid having to fill the holes. I vote "no trim".

:iagree:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

NickJ

I have to say that I agree whole heartedly. I original fell in love with the Charger because of the General Lee. I'm 38 and was the perfect age for that show. However as I got older it became less about the show and more about the car. However, I went back and watched a few old episodes to get myself pumped..LOL  That may have been the first time I actually noticed the vinyl trim still being on the car. I think I'll be filling holes and going all silver.

N.

Ghoste

hollywood1336

Check out the thread "Almost There" I left the trim off and welded the holes. The car looks much sleeker without.

six-tee-nine

Altough I'm not an anal restoration purist, I'd say vinyl top with trim or vinyl top delete without trim as offered back then...
However I will not ever nit pick or whine about a car without vinyl top who leaves the trim on. You must do what you like best and dont look at the rest......
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

kab69440

I like the trim left on. I think it looks cool.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Cncguy

I think you keep the trim so you don't make it a permanent hardtop. For restoration reasons you may decide to go back.

myk

I like the smooth, uninterrupted look. That way the Charger looks more like a sinewy animal with muscular features, as opposed to looking like it was made that way.  Besides without the vinyl the trim is just....there, with no apparent purpose...

F8-4life

I vote no trim.
The charger roof line is beautiful it does not need vinyl or trim.
It loos better imo without any interruptions in the C pillar or roof.

familymopar

I think no trim is hands down the way to go.  The charger with no vinyl and no trim is a great look.  I myself would worry though that I may want the vinyl again someday.  But no doubt it looks better without the trim if no vinyl.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Patronus

I cant imagine putting anything around the hips old boy. Wait till you run your hand down her.... :apimp:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Chargen69

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 11, 2014, 12:25:02 PM

the guy that is building my car, changed the roof skin and fixed the side swipe in a quarter panel from the door to the rear.  there must have been a hundred holes where they fixed the quarter 20 years ago, i can speak for him that welding the holes for the trim would have been cake work for him.

i voted to keep the trim.  I love the shine from it and how it defines how big the c pillars are. 

cant wait to take it to shows and defend it.

oh yeah, just remembered that my previous charger had the vinyl top removed and the holes filled, it didnt look bad. i wouldnt bust on anybody that filled them in. dont bust on me

1974dodgecharger

I took my vinly off and filled up the holes with JB weld metal and did the best i could to find a paint to match my custom color I have.  Its ghetto yes, but I made sure my car shines enough to detract from the wholes for a 50fter job, lol.

sdweatherman

Any thoughts about leaving the trim on and painting the top Black?  :Twocents:
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

Chargen69

Quote from: sdweatherman on August 11, 2014, 11:43:38 PM

not black,  i could see white or silver depending on the color of the rest of the car, but painting black might be too weird

don duick

that's what I did. Satin black

VegasCharger

I vote no vinyl = no trim  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Chargen69

Quote from: don duick on August 12, 2014, 01:52:08 AM

that is paint??

i think i just changed my mind

jaak

My first vote would be keep the be keep the vinyl (Chargers are one of the few cars that carry the VT well... to me a Charger looks better with a top than without). Also want to note, don duicks 70 looks great with a painted top.

That being said, I agree with most here.... no VT, no holes.

Jason

71 SE3834V

Any thoughts about leaving the trim on and painting the top Black?  :Twocents:

I was going to suggest that. Beat me to it.
Back in '79 I bought a '64 Cutlass from the original owner who bought it off the showroom floor. It was a pale yellow with a black painted top. Had it painted a brighter yellow w/black top. Looked good. Wish I had some pictures.
If I ever get up the money to have my '71 painted I'm considering replacing the black canopy top w/black paint. One less thing to maintain.

Quote from: don duick on August 12, 2014, 01:52:08 AM

See, it does look good!  ;D
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V