News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does converter stall speed affect shifting in a 727

Started by white, October 13, 2015, 03:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

white

I have a 727 with a 2,500 stall converter?, when I drive the car( mild throttle) 1st gear is 0-20mph, 2nd gear is 20-50, 3rd is 50-?, It was rebuilt with a shift kit, Car is very responsive with no hesitation. I have adjusted the linkage from the carb to trans but this just changes pattern to a higher shifting speed. Car is fun to drive but the 2nd gear range makes the motor run warmer due to higher rpm range driving in town(40 mph). Running a 3.23 in rear. How can I get trans to shift sooner? Thanks Jeff

fy469rtse

Did it shift lower speed before you adjusted linkage, ?
Which shift kit is in it
Be careful playing with kick down , line pressure is important , but can be miss adjusted ,
John will chime in any minute , he's the expert on here
Basically check that with wide open throttle , your getting full kick down to tans
If you have this wrong can hold it longer in gear.  But miss adjusted can prematurely wear your trans out

Ghoste

This is not a very good explanation but there is a kind of a balancing act going on inside there and the throttle valve is in the thick of it.  When line pressure is raised, one of the results of a shift kit, it means more throttle needs to be applied under certain conditions to effect a shift.  It isn't quite as simple as that, governors (which are seldom changed) play a role in addition to the "kickdown" linkage.

John_Kunkel

What carb are you running? If aftermarket, does it have the correct throttle lever extension?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

white

Edelbrock 750 carb. How should the linkage be? Should it start to engage at half throttle. Or should it engage as soon as throttle linkage does. I do not know what was exactly done to the trans except for the 2,500 stall converter. Does the line pressure determine shifting? Is there a set procedure online or in a book that could help. Thanks Guy's hope I was not confusing anyone. Just want to make sure it is shifting correct. Right now the linkage does not move till 3/4 throttle. 

Dino

Turn the adjuster so that when you open the carb to wide open there is a small amount of play in the kickdown linkage, like 1/8".  The linkage should be close to bottomed out. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

white

Ok now I know what is going on, Mine is nowhere close to correct. Thanks will test out on Sat. Thanks

John_Kunkel

An Edelbrock carb needs the #1481 Mopar throttle lever extension to correct the linkage geometry.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1481?seid=srese1&gclid=CKj16Iu_wsgCFZSFfgodUz0OHQ

When correctly configured, the rear of the slot in the top link should rest against the back of the stud and there should be a spring pulling the linkage forward against the stud. The linkage should start to move the instant the throttle is opened and the transmission lever should be near full back at WOT.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

white