News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Success!... Not so fast

Started by 1BAD68, August 02, 2014, 10:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Well, after doing a magnum head swap on my 318 over the winter and trying 3 different sets of pushrod lengths, I finally got it right.
Initially I measured with an adjustable pushrod checker then ordered pushrods but had a lot of noise like a sewing machine.
Realized that I forgot to add preload, I ordered another set. It was better but still noisy.
Then I ordered a 7.700 set and the noise is gone and it feels like I picked up another 30-40hp.
:cheers:

b5blue

I'll bet ya did pick up a bunch of torque also!  :2thumbs: 

Kern Dog

1BAD68

Ok this is strange but I need some advice.
When I start my car and drive normal, everything is fine. No valve train noise and lotsa power until the first time I mash it to the floor. It'll do a nice smoke show and all that but then the valve train noise starts again and it runs rough and loses power.
But if I pull over and shut it off and let it sit, I can hear a sound like the lifters bleeding down. It makes a clicking and creaking noise that sounds like a hot engine cooling down.
Once that noise stops and I start it up again, it's quiet and has lots of power again.
What causes this? Weak lifters?

1BAD68

heyoldguy

Did you buy pushrods that oil goes through to the rockers?

b5blue

Lifters "pumping up" possibly?  :scratchchin:

1BAD68

I think I may have a bent push rod or two but won't know for sure until I pull em. The noise seems to be there all the time now but sounds more like it's isolated to just a couple spots.
So I went from 7.600" Trick Flow's to 7.634" Edelbrocks to 7.700" Howards.
The only choice I can find now is 7.650" in the 5/16"