News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb base gasket

Started by Ghoste, August 23, 2014, 02:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

A buddy of mine is trying to find a carb base gasket that is cut as two large ovals.  Can't find one anywhere, surely somebody makes one?

A383Wing

yea, they made them....I don't know about now....most are just the one large opening so it fits many applications instead of making all different kinds. Why is he looking for this particular one?

I might have a few, they came in carb kits

Ghoste

Because his intake is a dual plane made that way and the open ones are letting the two sides interfere.

A383Wing

not gonna make any difference, flip the carb over, the PCV channel & vacuum booster channel run to both planes in the carb casting. Getting a gasket with the divider in it is not gonna cure anything.

I have 2 of them here, for the old AFB smaller pattern

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on August 23, 2014, 02:12:06 PM
Because his intake is a dual plane made that way and the open ones are letting the two sides interfere.

"Interfere"  Interesting.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Ghoste

Not my words.  Its an FE Ford if that makes any difference?

BSB67

Quote from: Ghoste on August 23, 2014, 05:51:35 PM
Not my words.  Its an FE Ford if that makes any difference?

no

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

That makes no sense. Most aftermarket intakes have a notch cut in the divider of the dual plane runner to allow the "interference" as he calls it. And older intakes that were solid would get cut by racers looking for a little more performance.

A383Wing

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 23, 2014, 10:11:09 PM

That makes no sense. Most aftermarket intakes have a notch cut in the divider of the dual plane runner to allow the "interference" as he calls it. And older intakes that were solid would get cut by racers looking for a little more performance.

:iagree:

if he wants original gasket, have him take carb number to auto parts store and they will give him what they show listed

68charger440

How about taking a fourr hole gasket and cutting out the piece between the holes on each side, but leaving the piece between the runners intact?
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Ghoste

No notch in the intake, and he has tried the auto parts store route and he is already on the cut out the existing gasket plan, I just thought someone somewhere had to offer one.

c00nhunterjoe

But what is the purpose in this case? Its not going to hurt anything. If anything, it will help.

Ghoste

Its close to that but its two perfect ovals, in any case I understand he took one like that and trimmed it down so all good now.  Thanks for the input all.

firefighter3931

Edelbrock makes a nice insulating base gasket with that pattern.  :2thumbs:  It is thick and helps with the vapor lock issue many have these days with the crummy ethanol based fuels.  :P

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/edl-9266/overview/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs