News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cobra kit cars

Started by Dreamcar, September 18, 2014, 06:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDELIKEHELL

Here's a few more pics..is it a kit?
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Mike DC

I see Cobras as two different cars, the 427s and the earlier 289s.  

427s were basically street legal sprint cars.  Great for appeasing your inner 17yo.  IMO these things need the finer points of a vintage car replica like Scarlett Johansen needs cooking skills.

The 289-based version was more like a mature driver's sports car.  For that I would want a decent fit & finish, lightweight engine, independent rear suspension, and the tires a reasonable size/width.

Dreamcar

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on September 19, 2014, 12:21:29 PM

Given the EFI, MSD box, and gauge placement, id say yes, but im not an expert.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Aero426

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 19, 2014, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on September 19, 2014, 12:21:29 PM

Given the EFI, MSD box, and gauge placement, id say yes, but im not an expert.

Plus the serpentine belt setup under the hood.   You also would not see the wide 427 hips with a small block.    

Nicely loloking car.  

Daytona R/T SE

Several years ago, a guy I know built a Cobra kit car.

He painted it Plum Crazy purple and put a 440 with a pistol grip 4 speed in it.

It was pretty wild. :coolgleamA:

It's mentioned in this thread:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8243391&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Patronus

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 19, 2014, 11:37:24 AM
There's a guy that brings out an original Cobra to local cruises. And its supposed to be a rare one (even within the original Cobra universe = its worth $$$) - dont remember why but I'll try to find out.  He's usually at Bob's Big Boy on Friday nights...I'm heading out there tonite. I'll take some pics if he's there.

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on September 19, 2014, 06:49:01 AM
I think a Cobra is one of those cars that would be a blast to have for a month. After that, the reality of what it is will set in.

Zero f--ks given. I still want one.

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 19, 2014, 09:25:08 AM
I would much rather have do a Cobra Daytona coupe kit car, those things were pure sexy and what the Viper GTS was designed after!

For real. The Daytona Coupe is probably my favorite non-MOPAR car of all time. Definitely on my list of "Cars I will own when Im rich and famous", even in replica form. Preferably a replica, actually, for the same reasons I stated above re: the Cobra.

Screw the white belt and hair plugs AC, the Daytona Coupe is of legends.  :patriot:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

I think Im going to be sick. I need that car.. look what you have done.
http://www.superformance.com/coupe.aspx

Who wants a nice black '69?  :eek2:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: Patronus on September 19, 2014, 11:11:27 PM
I think Im going to be sick. I need that car.. look what you have done.
http://www.superformance.com/coupe.aspx

Who wants a nice black '69?  :eek2:

Watcha got ? :popcrn:

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ponch ® on September 19, 2014, 11:37:24 AM
There's a guy that brings out an original Cobra to local cruises. And its supposed to be a rare one (even within the original Cobra universe = its worth $$$) - dont remember why but I'll try to find out.  He's usually at Bob's Big Boy on Friday nights...I'm heading out there tonite. I'll take some pics if he's there.

As promised...

(sorry for the crappy quality...I had to resize / crop the hell out of them to get them under 200kb - if you want high res versions, PM me and ill email them to you).

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ponch ®

couple more..
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Dreamcar

Wow, I admire that he drives it, but I'd be so nervous behind the wheel.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

Ponch ®

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 22, 2014, 11:03:24 AM

yeah, same here, which is why a replica would be so much fun. gotta give props to this guy. he brings it out practically every Friday night and also shows up at other car meets/cruises.

Arigmaster

It's going on 15 years now but following the demise of the neoclassic car companies closing their doors (Centar, Zimmer, Excalibur etc.) I rented the old Excalibur building as a warehouse. The far back of the building was still being used to produce high end motorcycle trailers. However just before the end they produced fiberglass body 3 '66 Cobra replicas. All of the molds were in the rear area for these and over the years they had put all the molds for the various years of Excalibur into 2 rail box cars along side the building.

The owner at that time ended up fleeing back to Germany and the property and content (molds, cars, trailers etc) were purchased by some woman who was somehow related to the late Brook Stevens. (founder of Excalibur) Not really sure where the stuff or the rail cars ended up but the body molds for the Cobra were very well done.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Dreamcar on September 22, 2014, 11:03:24 AM

No kidding.

I saw 2 I assume kit cars together on Friday at work. I never seen 2 together ever before on the street.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Patronus

at a local cruise circa '13
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Ghoste

The Daytona coupes are just plain badass.  I would have loved to drive one in competition.  :drool5:

Road Dog

There was some Beach Blanket Bingo Movie I saw where a Guy put a Daytona Coupe in the ditch. :eek2: 
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

polywideblock

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on September 19, 2014, 10:47:14 PM
Several years ago, a guy I know built a Cobra kit car.

He painted it Plum Crazy purple and put a 440 with a pistol grip 4 speed in it.

It was pretty wild. :coolgleamA:

It's mentioned in this thread:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=8243391&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

exactly  why would you build a KIT car and then put a chev or ford motor in it   :shruggy:

think I'd go hemi powered    :yesnod:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ANGF4rAMU

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

pettybird

Honest advice from someone who works at a high end and classic car dealership?

Buy one done, and make sure it was put together by a shop with a long history of building Cobras.  This is a car that, unless you REALLY want to build in your garage, is always better to buy second hand.  We've sold more than a few with a couple hundred miles on them.  Wife didn't like it.  Kids don't fit.  Too noisy.  Whatever.  A used 'glass Cobra is worth 40-60% of its build cost, tops.  The nice thing is that you can put a few hundred more miles on the odometer and just about walk away dead even.

So,

Don't build your own unless you want to, since everyone will assume you're a hack when you try and sell it.

Don't commission one unless you like setting fire to money.

Enjoy it until you're tired of it and throw it up on ePay for some other midlife crisis-suffering schmuck to buy.

pettybird

Two more things:

People expect to find a 351 under the hood.  While a real FE powered car is cool don't sweat the resale value of a small block.  A Windsor with aluminum heads, decent compression and a good cam makes for an 11 second Cobra.

While beautiful, a Daytona coupe is nearly unbearable to drive.  You usually find them with A/C and even that is inadequate.  The roadsters are loud enough...coupes are torture chambers.

Aero426

Colin Comer's real 427.   This is a narrow hip car, which is a look that I like.     This car gets driven.    A lot.  

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE