News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No way can that 440 make 400+ HP!!

Started by RECHRGD, August 10, 2014, 03:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I was reminded today why I rarely go to car shows anymore.  Went to my first show of the year yesterday and got a lesson from an old fart (older than me even).  Apparently, no big block mopar can make over 400 HP, unless it is turbo or supercharged.  So you guys are living in a dream world if you think different heads, cams, intake, carbs or exhaust will make any difference.  I just needed to pass that on......
13.53 @ 105.32

ws23rt

Thanks for passing that along :2thumbs:  Apparently I and many others have a misunderstanding about what a horsepower is :shruggy:
We may be old but we can still learn new stuff. :yesnod:

tan top

:2thumbs:     , that's told us  :yesnod:   :lol:  
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Drache

Well crap! I want a refund on my Dart then!  :RantExplode:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

JB400

Mike DC

Usually it's the young farts who insist that your big block couldn't possibly be making XXX horses without a power adder.  

Kern Dog

I would have told the assclown to get in his Tercel and try to follow me. Better yet, I'd strap the human fossil in the passenger seat of my car and show him several  drift sessions, Full throttle starts, a 0-100-0 blast and a few freeway on& off ramps. Afterwards I'd go to Wal Mart for Formula 409 and towels to clean the seat.
Car show idiots are easy to deal with. I almost look forward to the know-it-all jerkoffs.

ws23rt

I think this guy is one of those young farts.  He just happened to age without gaining wisdom. :eek

RECHRGD

Actually, he was schooling a friend of his.  I was sitting in the shade about 30 feet from the car, but he was talking loud enough to easily hear the comments.  We had to put the HP numbers on the participant window cards and mine said 400+.  That's what prompted his words of wisdom.  We just laughed, it wasn't worth trying to engage to him.  What was even funnier, was when he looked at a wild '68 Roadrunner next to me, he just shook his he and walked off.  The Roadrunner listed a 440/512 stroker with 600 HP.
13.53 @ 105.32

myk

Maybe this moron thinks your cars are running with stock blocks?  But yeah, way too many idiots at shows.  What I usually do is park my car and literally jump out of it and run away so I don't have to listen to all of the know-it-alls and preachers when it comes to the car...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ws23rt

When it comes down to it this is part of the fun.   A car show brings in more than gear heads.  It is a show. :icon_smile_wink:

I enjoy seeing the cars and talking to the owners but people watching sometimes trumps the cars. :D

RECHRGD

Quote from: ws23rt on August 10, 2014, 07:07:54 PM
When it comes down to it this is part of the fun.   A car show brings in more than gear heads.  It is a show. :icon_smile_wink:

I enjoy seeing the cars and talking to the owners but people watching sometimes trumps the cars. :D

Agree completely!   :2thumbs:
13.53 @ 105.32

1974dodgecharger

Like i said I been told many stories and share them on here and no one believes me one bit.

I was told all drums have better stopping power than any disc of modern age not by one, but two people. 

the 440 one is a new one that I never heard before.....

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 10, 2014, 09:46:21 PM
Like i said I been told many stories and share them on here and no one believes me one bit.

I was told all drums have better stopping power than any disc of modern age not by one, but two people. 

I actually don't understand how disc brakes are better than drums either.  I figure that drums have more friction material working so.......Nevertheless rear discs will find their way on the car eventually...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Stegs

Quote from: RECHRGD on August 10, 2014, 03:47:17 PM
I was reminded today why I rarely go to car shows anymore.  Went to my first show of the year yesterday and got a lesson from an old fart (older than me even).  Apparently, no big block mopar can make over 400 HP, unless it is turbo or supercharged.  So you guys are living in a dream world if you think different heads, cams, intake, carbs or exhaust will make any difference.  I just needed to pass that on......

sounds like something a Chevy guy would say.....they all seem to have have their head where the sun don't shine....(atleast that's the chevy guys around me in my neighborhood)

you can drive a smallblock mopar or ford, that will blow the doors off their BBC, and still they will leave saying "chevy power"  :rofl:

wingcar

It's truly amazing the education you can get from car shows and the "experts" that attend them.... ::)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Quote from: myk on August 11, 2014, 05:15:05 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 10, 2014, 09:46:21 PM

I actually don't understand how disc brakes are better than drums either.  I figure that drums have more friction material working so.......Nevertheless rear discs will find their way on the car eventually...

Define better.  Drums typically have more swept area and they are self energizing.  Thats why large commercial vehicles typically have air operated drums.  On a street car, drums all around?  Well things change to deal with a different set of conditions.  With the weight bias to the front and the front brakes doing most of the stopping front discs make great sense if for no other reason than preventing brake fade.  Of course there are other reasons because how many of us have done two panic stops in a row?  I like having drums on the back for the same reason heavy trucks have them.  Sports cars are another beast again.  It makes perfect sense to have discs all around to dissipate heat as quickly as possible in road racing.  As for four wheels discs on most modern cars, I would bet it has as much to do with marketing and cheaper to manufacture in the modular assembly world than any other reason.
But thats one mans opinion.

Cooter

Damn. I guess the dyno operator lied to me then. My numbers were grossly exaggerated.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Homerr

The trick to our own happiness comes from our own sense of self - which in terms of the car could be the sense of accomplishment of owning/building/maintaining a car.

Only those that give away their power will let the words of others sway their own emotions.

In other words:  know that your car is over 400hp, and don't take the bait of detractors like this guy (or the bait of gushing praise).

John_Kunkel

And some folks will argue that the original 440 Magnum's horsepower was actually close to 400 HP...advertised as 375 to fool the insurance companies who promptly upped the advertised HP to the actual HP. (called factoring)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Yeah it does kind of work both ways doesn't it.

6spd68

Some people will say anything to make themselves feel special.  The fact that you own a gen 2 Charger; means you've already trumped him at life anyway...
Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Ghoste

68pplcharger

Sound like he is speaking from his own experience in incompetence.  :Twocents:

rt green

well thats just great.  now, how do i get the smoke back in the tires?
third string oil changer