News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Accurate repro build sheets?

Started by billschroeder5842, August 10, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

Does anyone know where I can get (or does anyone make) an accurate repro build sheet and/or window sticker for my 75 road runner?

I have a fender tag and have reached out to former owners. I've also looked in all the usual places in the car for a build sheet--nada.

I'm doing history research on the car and this would be great!

I learned it is a Canadian build and has a bit of history and there is blood (no kidding) under the back seat.

05150 127981 221 308864
28 G11 R31
KG8 C
KG8 B6X9 000 A16 B15215
E64 D34 RM21 N5A 129947
Texas Proud!

ODZKing

I believe you would need the a build sheet to reproduce it. There is WAY more information on there than on the fender tag.
The only other thing you could do is (and it seems you've tried) get someone else's sheet and match options from there, if it is close.
Also I believe all the B Body's of that generation were built in Windsor.

billschroeder5842

This one is a Lynch Road model. I'm not sure if that helps but there it is....
Texas Proud!

ODZKing

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on August 10, 2014, 01:47:36 PM
This one is a Lynch Road model. I'm not sure if that helps but there it is....
I thought you said Canadian build????   :shruggy:

billschroeder5842

Yes, built to Canadian specs (sorry for any confusion) that is the "C" in the fender tag.
Texas Proud!

Brock Lee

Quote from: ODZKing on August 10, 2014, 01:45:50 PM
I believe you would need the a build sheet to reproduce it. There is WAY more information on there than on the fender tag.

And that is why it will always be discouraged. The build sheet contains info not available anywhere else and because of that is seen as an important document outlining a cars build. The same practice of "filling in the blanks" can be used to manipulate documentation of a car to a more desirable configuration.

ODZKing

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on August 10, 2014, 01:56:09 PM
Yes, built to Canadian specs (sorry for any confusion) that is the "C" in the fender tag.
Ah, Canadian specs is different from Canadian build, gotcha! Interesting, many of the 75-78 Chrger/Cordoba B Body's were from Windsor. Maybe RR was different.

Ghoste

I know its happening out there but I'm with you Brock, I really dislike the idea of reproducing broadcast sheets.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2014, 10:33:59 AM
I know its happening out there but I'm with you Brock, I really dislike the idea of reproducing broadcast sheets.

:iagree: :badidea:

ws23rt

It's amazing that this question keeps coming up :slap:

Build sheets are good to have and generally add to the value of the car especially if the car is particularly rare.  So if one has a build sheet made to fit their car they still don't have "the" build sheet.  They are looking forward to the time when asked about  "the build sheet".  And would their first knee jerk response be I have one but it's fake?

This is no different that adding a non original engine to a car and stamping the car vin on it. One can say all day long that they just want it to be as original as possible but it's just a damn lie.

What many don't get is that the only reason a build sheet helps them is when it's the one for the car.  I understand a frail and fragmented sheet could be restored by current copy tec. but it should go with the original scraps to the new buyer and not be passed off as original.

If fabricated build sheets were to become the norm than the value of them as helping the car value would vanish. :Twocents:

Edit-- to add to my rant---My 69 coronet hemi 4sp has 49K miles on it.  I wish it had 4miles instead.  It doesn't have the original engine. I wish it did. I have no build sheet. I wish I did.   So my car will not bring "the big money".   I could spend time and effort on these issues to bring the value up but any one of them would be fraud. 

Ghoste

Creating a fake buildsheet can change everything about the car.  It can magically make a 318 Belvedere into a Hemi GTX and I agree that it is no different that dropping in a restamped engine.  Trying to recreate an accurate sheet becomes a problem because as the less honest quickly learn, if the honest guy can do it, anyone can.

ws23rt

Quote from: Ghoste on August 11, 2014, 06:11:58 PM
Creating a fake buildsheet can change everything about the car.  It can magically make a 318 Belvedere into a Hemi GTX and I agree that it is no different that dropping in a restamped engine.  Trying to recreate an accurate sheet becomes a problem because as the less honest quickly learn, if the honest guy can do it, anyone can.

This is true :2thumbs: and the less than honest will pollute our hobby further and we all are penalized including the crooks. 
It doesn't take much to upset things.  Remember why we take our shoes off at the airport? :eek2:

TUFCAT

I don't wish to add fuel to this fire  :fireangry:  because I've been down this road many times, and been tangled up in cat fights with some know-it-all members on epic ugly threads.  :boxing_smiley:  Suffice to say,  I feel the same way as Ghoste, WS23rt, and countless others who are opposed to any type of fake or "reproduction documentation" in this hobby.

If you want to read more simply type "broadcast" or "buildsheet" into the dc.com search window and see what comes up.  :soapbox:

ws23rt

:2thumbs:  We can't repeat ourselves too much on this :cheers:

charge69

I concur !!  If you do not have a build sheet/fender tag, having a repro of them doesn't really make your ride.  I am lucky enough to have them but if I did not, a repro of either doesn't, or shouldn't, make any difference. Just make sure you advertise the car as having a repro of either!  Making repros of either only invites scammers into the market looking for uneducated buyers to advertise the car as having the originals and I can do without either one being reproduced.

familymopar

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

billschroeder5842

Geesh, dudes, please chill.

I'm looking to recreate this for my personal use as part of my hobby. Obviously, if one were to pass off a false as original, that is bad.

How does the hobby view "clones or tributes" cars?  If one makes a clone/tribute and represents it accurately as a fake, I don't see a problem. However if one tries to pass it off as original that is fraud.

So, please....relax. I'm looking to have a "Tribute build sheet" for my own use.
Texas Proud!

Ghoste

I think its the whole slippery slope aspect of it, and the educating of the less honest.

charge69

People go to car shows to look at CARS, not "tribute build sheets"!  It is probably a moot point as build sheets, as far as I know, are not being reproduced and fender tags are usually only reproduced if you have an old fender tag or an original build sheet for the car.

Enjoy your car and do not worry about the build sheet.  The info. needed to make a "tribute build sheet" is much more than is on the VIN and/or fender tag and is just not available.

Ghoste

Rather than a tribute build sheet or whatever you want to call it, why not just get a custom fender tag that says, " THIS CAR BUILT TO REPRESENT WHAT I WANTED SO PISS OFF ALL PURISTS"?

charge69

69CoronetRT

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 11, 2014, 07:01:58 PM
I don't wish to add fuel to this fire  :fireangry:  because I've been down this road many times, and been tangled up in cat fights with some know-it-all members on epic ugly threads.  :boxing_smiley:  Suffice to say,  I feel the same way as Ghoste, WS23rt, and countless others who are opposed to any type of fake or "reproduction documentation" in this hobby.

I agree....

The amount of rationalization and justification for having remade tags, broadcast sheets, window stickers, 'clone/tribute' cars, and any other fake/fraudulent/made up things never ceases to amaze me.

How many times do you hear:

"But I won't....."
"I'd never...."
"It won't hurt...."
"I want..."
"Lighten up folks. It's just...."

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Brock Lee

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on August 13, 2014, 09:13:57 AM

I'm looking to recreate this for my personal use as part of my hobby. Obviously, if one were to pass off a false as original, that is bad.

How does the hobby view "clones or tributes" cars?  If one makes a clone/tribute and represents it accurately as a fake, I don't see a problem. However if one tries to pass it off as original that is fraud.

So, please....relax. I'm looking to have a "Tribute build sheet" for my own use.

There is a huge difference. "Tribute" cars get such a label because they are coded as a lesser optioned car brought to a more desirable optioned car. But the documentation and VIN tell anyone with half a brain the car did not leave the factory that way.

A "tribute" piece of documentation is a fudged piece of paper that tells anyone looking at it the car left the factory in a very specific way. If you plan on being open and honest about the "documentation", or only plan on gawking at it in your free time, don't sweat it being authentic because the very information it contains is not authentic anyway. Just print one off on your printer. 

moparfan53

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on August 10, 2014, 01:41:16 PM
Does anyone know where I can get (or does anyone make) an accurate repro build sheet and/or window sticker for my 75 road runner?

Window stickers are available at;  http://www.window-sticker.com

I agree with the other posters that it is a good thing accurate reproduction build sheets are not available.

If you want a "tribute" build sheet, then a blank one for '71 is available from Moparts for you to fill in yourself. You could probably change the year to '75 somehow.      http://www.moparts.org/Tech/     (lower right column)

EDIT: I took a closer look at window-sticker.com. They list '74 Road Runner but not '75. However I can't think many (if any) people would know the difference if they would make one using a '75 vin.

ws23rt

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on August 13, 2014, 09:13:57 AM

How does the hobby view "clones or tributes" cars?  If one makes a clone/tribute and represents it accurately as a fake, I don't see a problem. However if one tries to pass it off as original that is fraud.

My response to this thread was not to attack you but to express my opinion on the topic.

Have you asked your self a few questions?    You say you want a "Tribute build sheet" for your own use.

Is it not true that the better your build sheet is the more you would like it?
Would some rusty seat spring marks add to what you are looking for?
Is it not also true that no matter how good it is you will know it is a fake?
It would be for your own use.  What would that use be?  Display?
If asked about your perfect build sheet would you jump in and say no no you don't understand. ---This is a fake build sheet---?

As Ghoste said this is a slippery slope .  Lets say you have had your time with the build sheet and the car and a buyer comes along.
Will you tell the new buyer the sheet is fake?  Further would you destroy that sheet so the new buyer can't tell lies with it?

When terms like "numbers matching" and "original documentation" are used they have a real meaning. They are speaking to original cars not "tribute cars".
 You wish you had more of those things for your car but you do not. That fact can't be changed.

Enjoy what you have and keep looking for a better documented car.  But beware--If you find a car with a build sheet is it not true you will look at that sheet and wonder? :Twocents: