News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PCV to suit Mopar Cast Aluminum Covers

Started by Laxy, August 08, 2014, 12:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxy

Feels like I've just read every Mopar PCV forum post on the entire internet trying to work out which PCV valve to order that will fit the Mopar cast covers but to no avail so I'm starting a new thread!

I can see that I need to order the Mopar grommets P5249642: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mopcasvalcov.html

My question is, which PCV will fit in this grommet!? I've seen opinions ranging from the late Mopar plastic PCV, to Jeep setups... to the Fram FV184 for GM. None list the diameter so I can't be sure, I've emailed Mancini to see if they stock something but couldn't find any suitable valves on their site.

I need to get it right as it takes ages to mail order things over here and local shops don't have this kind of stuff for me to physically compare.

Thanks!

71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

WHITE AND RED 69

I'd stay away from those mopar grommets, every single one I purchased fit like junk and didn't cover the entire hole.

Back when I still had the mopar valve covers, the best fit I found was a set of ford grommets along with a billet pcv. Any other 3/4" base pcv will fit as well but the summit valve was the one I used.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6892-f/overview/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-440308/overview/
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Laxy

Awesome, just the sort of info I was after. Happy to use anything that fits!

Thanks heaps.
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

bill440rt

Looks like you & I have the same PVC valve, Clayton. I think I used a Chevy grommet, though.  :scratchchin:
At the time my valve might have been made by Billet Specialties, but now Summit's offering is probably the same just a bit cheaper.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: bill440rt on August 08, 2014, 07:14:08 AM
Looks like you & I have the same PVC valve, Clayton. I think I used a Chevy grommet, though.  :scratchchin:
At the time my valve might have been made by Billet Specialties, but now Summit's offering is probably the same just a bit cheaper.

We have great taste Bill!  :lol: The valves in my opinion are the best looking ones out there if you don't mind an aftermarket piece. It's clean and simple looking. I actually ordered the Billet specialties one and the summit piece and they were almost identical. The summit one was not as polished but it was real close, so to save $10 I kept the summit one.

Now though I am using an aluminum breather with an -6an fitting for the hose with the new valve covers I am using. Always wasting money on dumb stuff  :lol:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

xoman60

Good info! I'm thinking of changing the breathers on my custom valve covers. I like that setup you guys are using.

Laxy

Just got my Summit package, hopefully get it setup on the weekend and will post results/pics.

mhinders

Quote from: Laxy on August 20, 2014, 09:39:43 PM
Just got my Summit package, hopefully get it setup on the weekend and will post results/pics.

Let us know how it goes, I'm struggling with the Mopar grommets too!
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Windsor

OP, let us know how it turns out.
I am in the process of installing a PCV on my 383 also. I got a grommet that was oversized and trimmed it down. I still have to pull my valve covers, put a blocking plate under the pass side breather and put a filter element in the driver side breather to keep large particles out.
I like my tower style breathers, but I need PCV. Eventually I'll get some steel covers.

Laxy

Sorry, no pics yet, have ended up having to yank the carb for a separate issue so I can't run it yet and check for vacuum leaks.

But it appears to fit in there very nicely with the Ford grommet and Summit PCV listed above, snug fit and looks like it was meant to be there!

Laxy

Just to close out the thread, car running sweet now with the new PCV and no leaks, can highly recommend the Summit links provided above if you run these valve covers.

mhinders

Thanks for the info Laxy. I will put them on my shopping list...!
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection