News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fuel question

Started by Stegs, August 11, 2014, 07:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegs

quick fuel question

which would be better for my car (69 -440)

I have 2 gas stations by my house

One of them sells 90 octane but is ethanol free, and of course they sell 93 with ethanol

now running 93 should be better, but would it make sense to give up on those 3 octane to go with ethanol free fuel?

cost for the ethanol free is 4.59 a gallon, where regular 93 is right around 4.00 dollars a gallon....

if it were you and your car, would you run regular 93 or go with 90 ethanol free?

ODZKing

Quote from: Stegs on August 11, 2014, 07:44:18 AM
quick fuel question

One of them sells 90 octane but is ethanol free, and of course they sell 93 with ethanol

now running 93 should be better, but would it make sense to give up on those 3 octane to go with ethanol free fuel?

cost for the ethanol free is 4.59 a gallon, where regular 93 is right around 4.00 dollars a gallon....

if it were you and your car, would you run regular 93 or go with 90 ethanol free?
We have the 91 ethanol free ones here as well. But, I find both my cars run better on the 93 and I just put the additive for the ethanol. Keep in mind, 93 is probably what 89 was back in the day.  This gas now, sucks!

Stegs

Quote from: ODZKing on August 11, 2014, 08:32:55 AM
Quote from: Stegs on August 11, 2014, 07:44:18 AM
quick fuel question

We have the 91 ethanol free ones here as well. But, I find both my cars run better on the 93 and I just put the additive for the ethanol. Keep in mind, 93 is probably what 89 was back in the day.  This gas now, sucks!

I know, it sure does, what additive are you adding to your tank for the ethanol?

Ghoste

The only one I've heard of so far is Carb Defender but there have to be others.

ODZKing

Oooh, LOTS of others.  he shelves here are loaded with them from Sta-Bil to STP.
I use the Star Tron. 2 oz for a full tank and the bottles lasts for severl fill ups. And I can get it anywhere, even the hardware stores carry it for the lawn mowers.
http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron

Stegs

Quote from: ODZKing on August 11, 2014, 09:00:41 AM
Oooh, LOTS of others.  he shelves here are loaded with them from Sta-Bil to STP.
I use the Star Tron. 2 oz for a full tank and the bottles lasts for severl fill ups. And I can get it anywhere, even the hardware stores carry it for the lawn mowers.

well if I see it I will make sure to get it.....

so this means you guys run 93 with ethanol instead........which is fine, both gas stations are about 2 miles from me either way....but ill keep a bottle in the trunk for when I get gas

Ghoste

It's probably a wash.  :lol:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: ODZKing on August 11, 2014, 09:00:41 AM

you put this in every full gas tank?

ODZKing

Ghoste

Whats a bottle of that run in the US?

ODZKing

Say $11.00 on Amazon but I know I don't pay that for it.
I have gotten it at my hardware store and I believe ut was $7-8. Auto Zone lists the 16 oz bottle for $14.99 so that sounds more like it.
Walmart, 8 oz, $8.60 ... Lowes has it, $6.97.

Swampwing2

If you are going to use the car on a regular basis get the 93. If you seldomly use it and the fuel sits for a while get the 90. Using the stabilizer works but won't be necessary if you plan on driving it regularly.

Stegs

Quote from: Swampwing2 on August 12, 2014, 07:41:25 PM
If you are going to use the car on a regular basis get the 93. If you seldomly use it and the fuel sits for a while get the 90. Using the stabilizer works but won't be necessary if you plan on driving it regularly.

I drive the car on the weekends only, and of course it will sit all winter

ill get the 93, and the stabilizer....its worth the 6 bucks to me

1974dodgecharger

ODZKing

The additive, depends. If driven daily, probably not.  If I have read the articles about E10 correctly, it causes issues with clogging lines etc. after it sits a while.  If you drive daily and I don't mean out for a ride once a day, I mean to and from work, I'd say no.
But sitting even for more than 1 day I wouldn't take a chance.

To me it is worth the extra for the 93 and the extra 80 cents to pour this stuff in my tank.  Providing it works and time will tell.
There are hundreds of articles out there ... just google "effects of ethanol on engines".

Ghoste

Between the corn lobby and the environmental lobby and the political need to buy votes by using taxpayer money on dubious projects as long as they generate good press, I think we'll be stuck with this stuff from now on.