News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Accurate repro build sheets?

Started by billschroeder5842, August 10, 2014, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

Quote from: billschroeder5842 on August 13, 2014, 09:13:57 AM
Geesh, dudes, please chill.

I'm looking to recreate this for my personal use as part of my hobby. Obviously, if one were to pass off a false as original, that is bad.

How does the hobby view "clones or tributes" cars?  If one makes a clone/tribute and represents it accurately as a fake, I don't see a problem. However if one tries to pass it off as original that is fraud.

So, please....relax. I'm looking to have a "Tribute build sheet" for my own use.

Do you guys understand any of this?  Tribute build sheet for personal use, that's a laugh.  Nest thing you know people will search for NOS air for tires.

Benji

I live just south of Michigan and I will drive up there and compress some genuine Michigan air from just outside the Dodge headquarters for those who absolutely must have NOS Michigan air to fill their tires.  Only $1000.00 per tank. Will fill at least five tires.  :lol:

Benji

john108

I have read the position of the replys on this thread.  I understand more now than I did before.  My only hang-up is that I am in a somewhat similar position.  I purchased my 1968 Charger R/T in 1968, off the showroom floor.  I have my original purchase contract from the dealer, and fender tag.  The original build sheet, as stated above, is really faded and has those zig-zag rusty spring lines across it.  I can read most of the information on it but I wouldn't mind having a back-up copy with all the correct numbers filled in.  Is that a bad thing?

At the time I purchased the car (46 years ago), I wasn't smart enough to carefully remove the window sticker and save it.  I was only interested in driving the car.  I also wouldn't mind having a repro window sticker.

familymopar

Quote from: john108 on August 14, 2014, 12:19:37 PM
I have read the position of the replys on this thread.  I understand more now than I did before.  My only hang-up is that I am in a somewhat similar position.  I purchased my 1968 Charger R/T in 1968, off the showroom floor.  I have my original purchase contract from the dealer, and fender tag.  The original build sheet, as stated above, is really faded and has those zig-zag rusty spring lines across it.  I can read most of the information on it but I wouldn't mind having a back-up copy with all the correct numbers filled in.  Is that a bad thing?

At the time I purchased the car (46 years ago), I wasn't smart enough to carefully remove the window sticker and save it.  I was only interested in driving the car.  I also wouldn't mind having a repro window sticker.

I myself am not a fan of repro build sheets even when you do have the original.  Lay that thing on a scanner, scan it, print it, and have that one to look at and show to people if you wish.  Take the original, put it carefully in a plastic sleeve, and store it safely away somewhere.  Problem solved.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

john108

Familymopar:  I have scanned it and played with brightness and contrast to try to enhance some of the numbers.  In some of the boxes, the rust made holes in the paper and I am not sure what was there.  Other places, there was barely enough pixels to guestimate the numbers or even titles.  If I were to see a sample of one from an equivalent car, it would help me.  I have seen a listing of all the options for that sheet but I believe it was a different year and I couldn't quite determine if some entries were applicable to me.

familymopar

Quote from: john108 on August 14, 2014, 05:10:20 PM
Familymopar:  I have scanned it and played with brightness and contrast to try to enhance some of the numbers.  In some of the boxes, the rust made holes in the paper and I am not sure what was there.  Other places, there was barely enough pixels to guestimate the numbers or even titles.  If I were to see a sample of one from an equivalent car, it would help me.  I have seen a listing of all the options for that sheet but I believe it was a different year and I couldn't quite determine if some entries were applicable to me.

I'm not sure I know what you mean.  Do you need to know the designations for each space, i.e.the pre-printed words on the form or do you need to know the numbers that go in them for your particular designations?

If you need to know what the words are on a pre-printed form, that's easy and there are pics on the net, including this forum:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24785.0.html

although you may have to magnify the pic a bit.

If you need to know the numbers that go in the boxes for your particular options, I can't help you with that.  There are plenty of resources that will tell you what number designates what option:

http://papentastars.tripod.com/id21.html

but I don't know what your options are.  Since you bought the car new then you have a pretty good basis for knowing what was originally optioned on the car.

I don't know if this was helpful at all, I am not exactly sure what you need.  My scans are not super legible either.  But they are as legible as the original sheet is, and that is fine with me.  Just wanted something if I ever wanted to refer to it so I was not handling the brittle original much.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

john108

Thank you for the links.
I will look at them.
From the other lists that I have seen, there were various entries where I wasn't sure which entry matched the feature on my car.  The list may have been for a 1969 or 1970 so the numbers may have been different.  I think I know what my car has but the build sheet goes into more detail that is beyond my level of knowledge.
Thank you again.