News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need to replace rear axle bearings... old or new??

Started by Canadian1968, August 03, 2014, 07:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I need to replace the rear axle bearings on my 68   I see that mopar performance offers a set that says it eliminates prodcution bearing retainers and axle end play adjuster.

Or I found a kit from Dr. Diff that looks like a straight up OEM reaplcement.  That is about half the cost of the mopar set. 

Thoughts ?? anyone have the mopar set??

Mopar Nut

They sound like the green bearings that don't last with side loads (cornering).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMHeQRtMJmI

I replaced mine with Timken (A-7) tapered bearing like the originals and new inner/outer seals. I also replace my axle flanges with Dr. Diff heavy duty ones, well worth the investment.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

Go the old style , or get use to replacing them often,  :2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

The Green bearings that MP sells are the old style that have more problems than the newer style Green bearings  that Doc Diff sells and even those aren't as good as the OEM style.

Don't be lured into using the Green bearings simply to eliminate the need for adjustment.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Canadian1968

The ones that I am looking at from doc diff. Are the tapered eom style not the green. They offer a nice kit will all the seals and gaskets for the job!. That's what I will use.

c00nhunterjoe

I run the mo-400 newer style green bearings. The one with the snap ring. I drive my car very "spirited" through corners and have no issues to date. The green bearings are the same design as what was used in ford diffs and vehicles into modern production. Even newer half ton trucks still run the same design so i dont see why people are so afraid of it.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 04, 2014, 03:52:17 PM
I run the mo-400 newer style green bearings. The one with the snap ring. I drive my car very "spirited" through corners and have no issues to date. The green bearings are the same design as what was used in ford diffs and vehicles into modern production. Even newer half ton trucks still run the same design so i dont see why people are so afraid of it.

They r afraid because their uncles Jesse, brothers, sister, aunt, who used it broke down.  Then they ask where this relative was response is usually, u never had one.

John_Kunkel

For every anecdotal tail of Greens lasting forever there's one from a guy who never got a thousand miles outa his.

There are few anecdotal tales of the factory tapered bearings failing let alone at low miles.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Mopar Nut on August 03, 2014, 07:40:35 PM
I also replace my axle flanges with Dr. Diff heavy duty ones, well worth the investment.

MMMM.... interesting!!! mines are some "waved"...
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 09, 2014, 12:54:55 PM

For every anecdotal tail of Greens lasting forever there's one from a guy who never got a thousand miles outa his.

There are few anecdotal tales of the factory tapered bearings failing let alone at low miles.

The question still remains who has had one failed based on dr. Diff green sealed bearings that he sells.  Based on his info he had none failed. 

I'm sure mine will fail and i will report back...and tell u guys.

John_Kunkel

The Green bearings that Doc sells are no different than any other snap-ring type Green and there are myriad examples of them failing.

bill440rt

Based on what I've read, the snap-ring style Green bearings are supposed to be better than the standard shoulder-style.
Having said that I've had a set of standard MP greens on one of my cars going on at least 15 years now and they are still fine. Then again, it's not driven hard thru turns or run on a slalom course. Just regular, spirited street driving.
A common error is not removing the thrust spacer from inside the rear gear housing which if left in places outward pressure on the green bearings causing premature failure.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 10, 2014, 06:23:49 PM

The Green bearings that Doc sells are no different than any other snap-ring type Green and there are myriad examples of them failing.

so they fail because people take hard corners while drifting in their big B-Bodies?  I dont think I will ever take a corner that hard considering I have manual steering and braking...my car is built more for straight line running hard, but daily driver status.

flyinlow

In switched to Strange sealed bearing in preparation for rear disk brakes. Now they sell rear disk kits that can be used with the tapered original style.. :flame:

However, I have about 30 K. miles on them. Still snug and I don't baby my suspension. 

I would prefer the original set up and grease them at brake job time. 

ws23rt

The original style tapered roller bearings will out last the (green ones).   The simple adjustment required for them is no different than the adjustment for the front wheel bearings.
Agreed that the front wheels see more side load on the bearings than the back but any turn will side load the back ones as well. 
OEM were chosen for long life. 

An inspection and adjustment from time to time is much better than replacement from time to time. :Twocents:

Ghoste

No green ones in my car.  The short time invested in setting up endplay for the stronger method is an easy trade off.

Canadian1968

What is the proper way to adjust them wheni put them in

green69rt

Quote from: Canadian1968 on August 04, 2014, 02:33:46 PM
The ones that I am looking at from doc diff. Are the tapered eom style not the green. They offer a nice kit will all the seals and gaskets for the job!. That's what I will use.

Ba aware that there is a adjustment ring on the end of ONE axle that is used to set the preload on the tapered bearings.   Many time it is screwed up or will get that way when taking in apart.   Dr diff sell a billit steel adjuster for $130  :scared:  sometimes you can find NOS ones on ebay for about $35.

here...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-MOPAR-Rear-Axle-Bearing-Adjuster-Nut-Fits-65-66-67-68-69-Models-2404160-/181485343261?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a415e921d&vxp=mtr

Mopar Nut

Quote from: green69rt on August 11, 2014, 05:29:47 PM
Dr diff sell a billit steel adjuster for $130  :scared: 
These are well worth the investment.   :yesnod:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Canadian1968

So should be prepared to destroy this as I take off ?? Assuming there is a specialty tool to remove it?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Canadian1968 on August 11, 2014, 08:40:35 PM
So should be prepared to destroy this as I take off ?? Assuming there is a specialty tool to remove it?
No, tell who ever presses on your bearings to be careful, some backyard mechanics destroy the flanges.