News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger vs Roadrunner

Started by Mopar Nut, July 31, 2014, 05:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tan top

if second generation chargers were never invented  ,  & if I could afford one  !! I would have  either in this order  

1968 hemi roadrunner , stick
1969 hemi roadrunner , stick
1971 440 six barrel  auto , roadrunner /GTX

:yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XH29N0G

Roadrunners are very nice.  I still like chargers better (for sentimental reasons) but after thinking about it I don't think I will put in a vote because I think they are that close. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

cudaken

Far as looks, 2nd Gen Charger is the best.

Now with that being said I have owned my 68 Road Runner for 41 years, Mom and Dad bought her when I was 17. When I think Road Runner, I think fast in the quarter mile. When I think Charger, I think fast highway car. My 69 Charger Rusted / Trash has 2.96 sure grip gears and I love them.

I know, I know a Charger can be a fast car. But not all Chargers where fast. I was driving my Road Runner when it was only 5 years old. Beat many want to be 318, 383 2 Barrel and 383 Hp Charger's when I was stock. 318 and 383 2 Barrel where want to be Chargers far as I was concern!  :hah:  It took to 1973 before the Road Runner could come with clipped wings. Day I saw a 318 would be offered / base engine I was  :'( sad. Well  :RantExplode: as well!

Far as just the name. OK Charger sounds good, but Road Runner, just says plain fast and in there time they where.

I love them both equally, well my Road Runner a tad more!  ;)

Cuda Ken

http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cudaken/media/Real%20Cars/MeandtheRunner32yearsago.jpg.html]
I am back

Mopar Nut

The OP posted the poll in the 71 to 74 years of Chargers and Roadrunners, which in my opinion both cars look hot. If the OP meant 68 to 69 the Charger beats it hands down. Did they make a movie with the cartoon car, I mean roadrunner?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

polywideblock

gee that's a tough one ,hmmm as far as 3rd gens are concerned  I think its a 50/50 split clear down the middle    :Twocents:

see below    :icon_smile_big:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

JB400

Can't vote if you're not a member.

As far as which one, with both cars having the same options, Charger.  Exception: A12 or Superbird

myk

sdweatherman

Tough to not have a little Charger bias on this site. I am a Plymouth guy, so I am leaning Roadrunner, but I sure wouldn't kick a 2nd gen Charger out of the garage. cudaken - you have posted a pick of the exact Roadrunner I hope to own someday. Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

wingcar

I always preferred Dodge over Plymouth as the Dodges offered more  chrome and other extras than offered by Plymouth.   Just compare the interiors of the Charger and the RoadRunner....The Dodge offered more extras and luxury while the Plymouth was more Taxi cab in nature.  Not saying that the Plymouth was necessarily a worst car as each was marketed differently.  You knew that when you purchased a RoadRunner  you were getting a "stripped" B-body with only performance in mind, whereas with the Charger you could order a "luxury" performance car with all the bells and whistles.  It's all a matter of personal taste....
I have owned seven Chargers (66-70) , three Challengers (70), plus one Coronet (65)....but only one Plymouth (a 1970 Superbird) 
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Tmb84

Air grabber is super cool, the rest is charger all the way!

70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"

SRT-440

71+ the RR gets my vote.

Not sure I'd say Dodge made more options and nicer models...the Plymouth GTX pretty much owned all that.  :2thumbs:
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog..."

2012 SRT8 392 Challenger (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Stage 1 SRT-4 (SOLD)
1970 Plymouth Road Runner Clone w/6.1 HEMI (SOLD)
1971 Dodge Dart w/440 (SOLD)
1985 Buick Grand National w/'87 swap and big turbo (SOLD)

Old Moparz

Quote from: Mopar Nut on July 31, 2014, 10:36:05 PM
The OP posted the poll in the 71 to 74 years of Chargers and Roadrunners, which in my opinion both cars look hot. If the OP meant 68 to 69 the Charger beats it hands down. Did they make a movie with the cartoon car, I mean roadrunner?

It would be the Road Runner for 1971 as my pick.  :2thumbs:

I like both so I had to have one of each.  :D

Of course it all depends on the year. For a Charger it's 1969 & for a Road Runner it's 1970.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

F8-4life

For years 1971-72 I think the charger takes it. Better interiors, hidaway headlights, better options. Cooler taillights. Cooler C piller. Both cars had air grabbers.
Also the square wheel wells & C piller look a bit weird on the roadrunner. I mean they look good but compared to a charger they are weird.
I do like RR from 71-72 but I don't often pay much mind to the 73-74 RR. In the 73-74 years the charger takes it hands down.
Just look at the front end on a 73-74 runner, its not very attractive.

Ghoste

Road runners are cool but if want style with your speed Charger is the way to go.

wingcar

Quote from: SRT-440 on August 01, 2014, 09:25:19 AM
71+ the RR gets my vote.

Not sure I'd say Dodge made more options and nicer models...the Plymouth GTX pretty much owned all that.  :2thumbs:

True, but I was looking at only the RoadRunner, not the GTX which was really nothing more than an upscale RoadRunner....
I actually added some of the '70 GTX chrome on my Superbird which had more than one other Superbird owner thinking they missed something...LOL
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

HeavyFuel

71 -72?

I'd take a 'Runner over a Charger.

The quality of these pics gives an advantage to the RR, but it's just an illustration of the styling differences.   The front of the '71 Charger just plain sucks.

73-74?     

Charger.

EccentricMagpies

Seen that same post running.  Funny part is the number of 2nd Gen responces to it considering it's on the 71-74 link, but enjoyed reading the comments.

Personally....
71-72 -- Runner
73-74 -- Charger

I agree with F8-4life "...Just look at the front end on a 73-74 runner, its not very attractive."
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Ghoste

Seriously?  A road runner over a Charger?  What are you, all whacked on the junk??

polywideblock

if you try it you might like it   :D

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

EccentricMagpies

Quote from: Ghoste on August 02, 2014, 01:19:50 AM
Seriously?  A road runner over a Charger?  What are you, all whacked on the junk??

:smilielol:

Well...  I will admit they could have placed an RT or rallye photo in for the charger / runner comparison. 
Kinda has an all out package for the Runner yet a flat hood Charger to go head to head against it.
'74 Rallye 4spd (WH23L4) (1 of 94)
'74 Rallye Auto (WH23L4) (quad black)
'69 Swinger 340 - 4spd
'70 Duster 340 - 4spd

Aero426

The 71 Road Runner is about as beautiful as it gets.

68-70 Charger gets the edge over the 68-70 RR.        71 RR vs 71 Charger is always a tough call in my book.

ChargerSG

Wouldent mind a 1970 Roadrunner, but never gonna buy one cause i like Chargers more :icon_smile_big:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

ralley72

Quote from: Ghoste on August 02, 2014, 01:19:50 AM
I must be because I prefer a 73 Road Runner over the 73 Charger. I've owned both, sold the Chargers and kept the RR and I'm in the process of restoring the Road Runner.
As far as the 71-2s go, I prefer the Chargers, I own 4 but they are junkers.
                                                                                                                                                                               That 71 RR pictured in black and gold would be hard to pass up.

Mike
1973 Roadrunner 400 mag. 4 sp

Patronus

I'd prob trade the '69 for a '70 rr. Prob trade it for a '70 Charger too.  :scratchchin:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE