News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is a used Gear Vendors overdrive worth?

Started by Kern Dog, August 21, 2014, 09:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I'm probably going to pull the Gear Vendors from my Charger. I plan to swap from the 3.91 gears down to 3.55s too. I don't do too much freeway driving but I could swap in a 2.94 or a 3.23 for a long trip if I wanted to.
My GV was rebuilt in 2006 and works perfectly. I see that the new ones are $2800 plus tax here in CA. I plan to price it at $1800. Does that seem fair? I looked on ebay but I can't find any used 727 versions for sale anywhere. Maybe that bodes well for me?   :2thumbs:

green69rt

Just interested in why get rid of the GV unit.  Even with the 3.91 gear the GV would put you around 3.05 gear ratio which seems really reasonable.  I was going for the same setup.

Assuming a 22% overdrive.

Windsor

They are worthless, you should just give it to me.  :yesnod:

But really, I agree with green69rt. As far as price, I have only seen one in person that was for sale and he was asking $2k. If I could afford one, I would love to have one.

Brock Lee

I guess it is worth what someone would pay for it. Personally, something like that, when you get into that price range, I would rather spring for brand spanking new. Used I wouldn't pay more than 40-50% of new.

fy469rtse

i would advertise with it still installed , so buyer can see it demonstrated that it is 100% functional ,show receipt to when it was purchased and miles its done , if i was there , done bought

1974dodgecharger

Not gonna find many used for sale it's one of those where it's a luxury item and not needed to actually run the car.  Ask high I say....I know some guy selling his termed used for the same price he bought it for.

hawkeye

You are right in the ballpark.  The used Gearvendor unit with all the controls I have seen go for $1000 to $1500.  The 727 tailshaft is worth $500 all day long.

jb666

Mine may be coming out some day as well...  It works as it should , but IMO it's not worth the coin.

fy469rtse

Jb666, really , could you give us the run down , have been considering this upgrade shortly
would like to know downside to this install before i out lay $ , Iv'e read other threads to do with vibration issue's

jb666

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 26, 2014, 02:00:31 AM
Jb666, really , could you give us the run down , have been considering this upgrade shortly
would like to know downside to this install before i out lay $ , Iv'e read other threads to do with vibration issue's

Well, I can't say that I DISLIKE the unit.. But... Is it worth the price tag?? Not in my opinion, no.  It's temperamental and 'clunky' from time to time.. Hard to explain if you're not driving it...

Downside to the install? Except for having the driveshaft cut, exhaust modified, tunnel "mods"  and wiring.. It's straight forward..

Now... If I were the type to do a lot of highway driving, I might think different, because the final gear is nice and low... I might be singing a different tune... But for light to light driving on back roads? Not much of a benefit.

Sorry for the vague answer...  :cheers:

fy469rtse

no , not a vague answer, good opinion from some one that has one and has been used,
thanks for replying,
i was seriously considering the modern 6 speed auto that keisler was working before they went bust, just waiting for the internal upgrades to handle HP & FTB

green69rt

Your answer makes me consider alternatives.  Now I'm thinking  will get an extra set of gears.  Currently have 3.91 in my diff, get a set of 2.76 or 3.08 (?) and swap them out as the urge hits me.  $3000 for a GV will pay for a lot of gear swaps!!

Kern Dog

Quote from: fy469rtse on August 26, 2014, 07:35:44 PM
no , not a vague answer, good opinion from some one that has one and has been used,
thanks for replying,
i was seriously considering the modern 6 speed auto that keisler was working before they went bust, just waiting for the internal upgrades to handle HP & FTB

I never heard that Kiesler was working on any 6 speed. TCI was. Rick Ehrenberg had one in the Mopar Action 69 Road Runner.