News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sent my instrument cluster for a voltmeter conversion

Started by 69wannabe, June 28, 2014, 09:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

Just sent my cluster out yesterday to redline gaugeworks to have the ammeter converted to a voltmeter. I read alot on here where people have had wiring troubles due to  ammeter problems and charging problems and etc... I have had my charger for 15 years with no problems with my gauge or charging system at all until last year when the regulator shorted out and burnt the ignition feed wire going to the regulator and ballast resistor all the way back to the ignition switch. I since then replaced the wire that burnt up and am now running a one wire alternator rated at 75 amps with no problems but in the back of my mind I still worry about the gauge being overloaded since the alternator is putting out more than the original amps. Finally pulled the cluster and talked to the guys out west and got the ball rolling. I will just feel better about it once it's converted and done. Has anybody else done the voltmeter conversion??

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69wannabe

Good job on the conversion!! I wish I was that creative!! I had redline rebuild my tic toc tach and they done a great job so when I decided to go ahead and do this I contacted them and sent it on to them. I am looking into them led instrument panel bulbs tho, that looks alot better than the dim originals!!!

bill440rt

I've also done the voltmeter conversion, sent my cluster to RedLine as well. While they were at it they did a full white-face conversion and recalibrated the gauges.
Couldn't be happier with their work.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Redline does excellent work. Had them do my voltmeter conversion and build a custom tach. Both have worked perfectly.   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

69wannabe

Talked to Shannon today at redline and he is also going to calibrate my other gauges since they have always worked but are not very accurate and he is going to put in a solid state voltage limiter. Can't wait to get it back in there and see how it all works!!!!  :icon_smile_big:

Rolling_Thunder

Shannon is an awesome person - Redline does great work - I have used them for several customer cars in the past
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

69wannabe

It's $180 for the voltmeter conversion and I am not sure about the other work he is going to do on it. I think he said $40 on the new voltage limiter and I can't remember what he quoted on calibrating the other gauges. I will post the total when he calls for my money!!  ;D

myk

69wannabe

He said a couple of weeks so I should be hearing from him any day now. May take a lil longer since I decided to let him calibrate the other gauges. I will call and check if I don't hear from him by friday.

69wannabe

Got my cluster back on friday and got it back in the car over the weekend and all the gauges seem to be very accurate now and the voltmeter works great too. Really just glad to get this done and off my mind. The costs on it wound up being about $290. That was the voltmeter conversion, calibrating all the other gauges and a new solid state voltage limiter and the shipping charges to get it back to me. Great work from a super great company!!

b5blue

Nice and you know with a one wire type Alt. the volt gauge makes good scene.  :2thumbs: (Thanks for sharing.)