News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Holley fuel pump

Started by 68blue, July 25, 2014, 07:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68blue

Replaced a dead Holley pump on the the 68, was surprised at the early failure, 3 years and maybe 1000 miles. Car buddies said it was probably modern gas and suggested using the local co-op gas that has no alcohol and adding octane booster. This was a modern aftermarket pump which I would have expected to have been engineered to handle this gas, anybody have a similar problem?

terrible one

Was it an electrical or mechanical pump? I haven't heard of any problems in particular and have had a street/strip mechanical Carter brand pump on mine for about 6 years with no problems but it hasn't seen many miles (about 4,000 so far.)

c00nhunterjoe

The holley electric are not what they used to be. Alot of my fellow cruisers are now actually carrying a spare because of so many failures.

firefighter3931

How is the pump set up ? Deadhead or return system ? Holleys don't like to run as a deadhead and will overheat and eventually fail.  :P

If you're running a deadhead system the Mallory 110 is a nice replacement and it's designed to be run as a deadhead pump. The Mallory is also a gerator pump which is superior to the rotary vane  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68blue

Mechanical pump, replaced it with an Edelbrock, hope it does better.

firefighter3931

OK...the question was in reference to a mechanical pump.  :scratchchin:

I've had excellent success using the carter HV 120gph street pump rated at 6psi  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs