News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

741 sure grip into 742 case

Started by 68charger440, July 26, 2014, 11:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

My power lok sure grip is not so sure anymore.  It spins one wheel sometimes and both at other times.  This sure grip is in a 741 with 3:91 gears, but I have my original 742 with highway gears which has a non sure grip open diff in it. So I have some questions...
1. Is there anything that can be done or adjusted or is replacing the clutches the only fix? 
2. Am I doing any damage by driving it like this.  It is not noisy at all.
3. My motor is a 500" stroker, so should I put the sure grip from the 741 into the 742 and use it, or should I just keep the 741?  I like the idea of using the original 742 case, but don't want to add a whole lot of cost and complexity to the swap. On the other hand I don't want to leave my rear end on a street corner either.  I plan on running some street drag radials and going to the track once in a while too. I don't want to use the highway gears from the 742 either. 
3. So with all that in mind how hard and expensive is it to put the sure grip with the 3:91 gears into the 742 case and can I keep the larger pinion while putting the sure grip from the 741 in the 742 case, or do I need to replace all of the gears to do that.  I think the answer is no, but I thought I would ask. 
Maybe I should just replace the clutches in the 741 and call it good. :shruggy:
Thoughts???
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

firefighter3931

The suregrip unit can be swapped between carriers but not the gears. The 741 gears will not fit in the 742 housing and vice versa.

If it were me....i'd rebuild the clutch unit in the 741 housing and call it good.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68charger440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on July 26, 2014, 01:01:54 PM
The suregrip unit can be swapped between carriers but not the gears. The 741 gears will not fit in the 742 housing and vice versa.

If it were me....I'd rebuild the clutch unit in the 741 housing and call it good.  :yesnod:

Ron
I like that answer.  If I ever sell the car I'll give the 742 along with the other original stock parts to whoever buys it.  Of course if I ever sold it then I will have to get another son because my oldest son would disown me.  After all he was conceived in the back seat. :icon_smile_tongue:  I've had it for 40 years already, so I probably will have it til the day I die. :laugh:

Jim
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

john108

That is not much of a problem.  I had my '68 Charger for 46 years and my Daughter wants it (She got to drive it to High School).  Not only does she want the car, she also wants the House we had when she was born!

68charger440

Quote from: john108 on July 26, 2014, 08:30:28 PM
That is not much of a problem.  I had my '68 Charger for 46 years and my Daughter wants it (She got to drive it to High School).  Not only does she want the car, she also wants the House we had when she was born! :RantExplode:
My younger son is in the house we raised our kids in.  I'd rather have him in that house than still living with me in my current house though. :2thumbs: