News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

faint white, stinky exhaust with popping sound from a newly rebuilt 400

Started by jdscofield, July 25, 2014, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdscofield

Hey Guys,

I have a fresh (less than 100 miles) rebuilt 400 in my charger.  recently i noticed i can see the exhaust coming from the tail pipes.  nothing major, more like what it would look like on a cold day.  trouble is, its not cold.  Also, there is a popping sound which seems like its coming from the mufflers.  the engine seems not to be idling fast enough to me.  when i pull the manual choke half way out, it seems to idle fine and i no longer hear the popping sound, but i still smell the exhaust and see a little smoke.  could the smoke be from the engine not completely broke in yet?  Thanks for any input
MOPAR or no car

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds like unburnt fuel. Half closing the choke to make it run decent tells me you have carb issues to tune.

firefighter3931

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 26, 2014, 06:47:31 AM
Sounds like unburnt fuel. Half closing the choke to make it run decent tells me you have carb issues to tune.

Good observations  :2thumbs:

(1) retarded timing will send unburnt fuel into the exhaust which will ignite when it hits the hot pipes causing "popping"

(2) lean mixture will also result in the same thing commonly referred to a "lean pop"

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs