News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering box question

Started by grant52, July 24, 2014, 07:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grant52

Hello, Grant here. I'm brand new to this site which I found after I recently purchased a 69 Charger. Was hoping you guys might be able to help me out. I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the future as this restoration has just started. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Anyway, I've already completely removed the front suspension. All that is still there is the k member and power steering box. My question is this: is there a way to remove the steering box without removing the steering column? I was planning on just dropping the k member with the steering box and sending out the k member and other parts to get blasted and powdercoated. Thanks.

A383Wing

knock out the roll pin that's on the coupler to steering box snout. Tap up the coupler towards the fire wall and when it clears the stub, you can then remove steering box

service manual will show this as well

grant52

Thank you so much. Would some type of a punch or steel dowel work to get that pin out? Not too sure as I dont want to jam in there or bend the pin.

ws23rt

A drill bit will work fine. Put the shank end on the pin and tap away. ( Use a drill size somewhat smaller than the pin size). If the drill seams to get tight in the hole as you drive it than stop and get the next size smaller drill bit.

BTW welcome to the site. Their are a wide variety of knowledgeable folks hear and fun to be had while you are at it. :cheers:

grant52

Sounds good. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!