News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 running hot but not overheating

Started by sneezi, July 15, 2014, 04:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneezi

Hi guys
  I searched the threads and did not find any info of help for my problem....please help

Basically its running at 190-200 whether its idling or driving.

its just a mild combo 440 with source heads, mild hydraulic cam, 6 pack setup,
milodon hi flow pump, 180 hi flow thermostat, 3 core factory radiator,
factory 216 fan with new hayden clutch fan with shroud.
timing intial 20 adv to 34.
This setup is only a few months old.
Im using a temp gun to check temps, not sure if I should have the 190-200 at the top hose and 150 at the bottom hose.
I was just after a few ideas before I go to the shed.
One thing I did think of is could the heater hoses have air trapped?? might block them from the system.
thanks in advance

Tom Q

Pay close attention here your car is not running hot or overheating.  this is not the 70's, it's 2014.

Today's gasoline requires a 195 degree thermostat to burn properly.  Fuel will collect in the intake and burn off in the cruise mode when the operating temp is below 195 degrees. This is not hearsay or conjecture, this was learned when troubleshooting a six pak car using an  air fuel gauge that was having driveability issues.  Temps below 195 create lots of condensation inside the engine and premature wear. 

195-200 degrees operating temp is NORMAL. 220 is warm, 230 is getting hot, 240 is hot.

myk

Yup, I run at about the same 'temps. In traffic or cruise nights I turn the electric fan on and the car never gets above 220...

Cooter

Are you looking at an aftermarket guage or stock guage?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

lukedukem

Quote from: Cooter on July 17, 2014, 06:51:40 AM
Are you looking at an aftermarket guage or stock guage?

Quote from: sneezi on July 15, 2014, 04:36:29 PM
Hi guys
  I searched the threads and did not find any info of help for my problem....please help

Basically its running at 190-200 whether its idling or driving.

its just a mild combo 440 with source heads, mild hydraulic cam, 6 pack setup,
milodon hi flow pump, 180 hi flow thermostat, 3 core factory radiator,
factory 216 fan with new hayden clutch fan with shroud.
timing intial 20 adv to 34.
This setup is only a few months old.
Im using a temp gun to check temps, not sure if I should have the 190-200 at the top hose and 150 at the bottom hose.
I was just after a few ideas before I go to the shed.
One thing I did think of is could the heater hoses have air trapped?? might block them from the system.
thanks in advance
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

1974dodgecharger

Do I need a hotter thermostat then i have a 180 and i get up to 195 when I'm cruising 100mph but city driving she gets up to 185.

Man confusing, lol.

sneezi

Thanks for the replies guys!!!
My brother has a similar engine combo and car and it never goes over 180 (thermostat is 180)
Just before i put it on the dyno i removed the hi flow milodon thermostat and now its running
between 160-170 and the water flows like a river in the radiator. With the thermostat once open
it was only slowly flowing through the radiator.
On the dyno it got to 180 and sat there. I would really like to run a thermostat but that seems
like a restriction.
Car drives great on the street.
Any thoughts??

myk

That means the t-stat you pulled was defective.  A properly functioning t-stat will flow quite well.  As for not running a t-stat its a bad idea. Your car will take longer to warm up which is a waste of fuel and could increase internal wear as you beat on your cold engine.  Also do you use your heater? It may not work properly without a t-stat.  Finally there are some that say not running a t-stat can ironically cause you to run hotter anyway because the coolant is not spending enough time on the radiator to dissipate heat, due to the lack of the t-stat...

sneezi

Quite possible a defective thermastat, i will drop it in boiling water and see what it does.
I do have another new milodon hi flow stat. I always run thermostats in my cars.
I dont use my heater.
thanks for the help so far

Roadrunner

I like a true Robert Shaw my self. you might set your timing at 38 over all. & 10 initial