News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No market for two door cars?!....Except for Smart

Started by Charger_Croatia, March 17, 2006, 07:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_Croatia

While we are hoping that new Challenger will see the sun one day, DCX has their plans.
I got this from one of Cummins official sites (password protected).

"DaimlerChrysler mulls sale of Smarts in United States

Dusseldorf, Germany (dpa) - DaimlerChrysler is again mulling a plan to put its micro-car, the Smart, on sale in the United States, according to chief executive Dieter Zetsche on Sunday.

The Smart division has been a huge lossmaker since the tiny but roomy two-seater went on the market in 1998. Some Americans have been so keen to buy the novelty cars, which are only as long as most other cars are wide, that they have imported them from Canada.

"At the moment, it is more likely that we'll decide in favour of the United States than against," said Zetsche in remarks to the German business newspaper Handelsblatt to be published on Monday.

The final decision had not been taken, but would come in the first half of the year.

A mark-two model of the original Smart ForTwo car is set to come out next year. DaimlerChrysler has been scouting in recent weeks for a business partner for the Smart operation. Smart brand cars are made in Germany, France and the Netherlands.

While the Smart meets European safety and emission standards, the current model does not satisfy some U.S. legal requirements.
"

Comments? No comments except this:   :puke: :moon: :spank: :nutkick:
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

6pkrunner

They are selling like hotcakes here. Dealers are backordered and as soon a a supply shows up its gone in under 48 hours. They used to be a novelity sighting, but now they are much like Volkswagens in the 60s - everywhere. My cousin bought one for his wife and now she gets the barge and he uses the Smart all the time. with the mileage, I can't blame him.

Silver R/T

how much they sell them for? We had a guy here that drove one around, said it was prototype and around 80K USD
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

I don't think you could fit two doors per side if you wanted to. They'd only be 18" wide.

The Ghoul

I hate to say it but its just like a domestic car company to ignore logic to justify there big mistake.
I have owned a 2000 subaru impreza 2 door for 3 years now and every one I run into that like subarus keep telling me. "Ive been looking for a 2 door for years, i just got sick of finding one so i settled" or varriations there of.
lets face it if christler decided to do away with 2 doors back in the early 60's there would be no more clasic mopar muscle because most of them would have been cubed. Yes 4 door coranets are still saught after but not as much as the 2 doors. 

doctorpimp

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 17, 2006, 04:46:44 PM
how much they sell them for? We had a guy here that drove one around, said it was prototype and around 80K USD
$80,000 US holy crap! :o  He is full of BS, or he got ripped off.
They're only about $17 - 20,000 CDN.  Sold at Mercedes dealers here:
http://www.thesmart.ca/
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

Ghoste

I've only seen one here in southwestern Ontario.  I wouldn't take a regular golf cart on the roadways so I don't think I'll take one with lights and heating on the road either.  I suppose they would be okay someplace as congested as Toronto but I imagine it'll still be a while before they catch on in the more rural areas.

Darkness

Well it's no wonder its not selling. Just look at thing (no offense to any who owns): 

Now, they get good mileage and I hear they're okay car to drive but, the thing is they're styled like an egg on wheels.

doctorpimp

I think they're selling OK here, not stellar but OK.  I've seen a few in Ottawa and Montreal.  Definately a city car I wouldn't want to travel far in one, but I did see one on the Hwy doing 75 mph or so.
They need to make the 4 seater one avail, or make one with more trunk space.  Not practical enough for most N Americans.

Silver R/T

I wouldnt wanna ride that thing in traffic, being run over semi. I do not think it would withstand a crash with bicycle.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

doctorpimp

Actually, I think it's built stronger than most other imports.  All the silver you see in the photo is steel frame and the coloured pieces are composite panels that are replaceable incase of fender-benders etc. 
You can also change panels if you want to change the colour of the car.

Silver R/T

I would like to see crash test results on one of these to prove me wrong. I mean I know all the newer cars use steel bars inside of doors and crumple zones around passenger compartment and air bags and other safety feautures but this one looks way too small. So even if it has top of the line safety stuff I do not see passengers surviving a head-on with something bigger.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there not something about the size of these things or whatever that exempts them from regular crash standards and testing?

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

doctorpimp

doctorpimp

doctorpimp

Silver R/T

It looks weird as the full-size car has its entire front end crushed and Smart is barely hit. And in the other photo you can see Smart fly up in the air from crash force. They also do not show any side impact pictures

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Interesting, although from those pics, it looks like the Smart dummy (??) is taking a worse beating.  All the same, I still wouldn't feel safe in one.  I don't see myself in one anytime soon.

nh_mopar_fan

They were everywhere when we were in Rome. Really popular, small enough to park nose in on a sidewalk...and lots of them Italians do.