News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine Storage

Started by Bob, July 24, 2014, 05:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

What is the best way to store/preserve an engine if it is going to be on an engine stand for about a year after rebuild?

Thanks
Bob

DC_1

Some people use WD40 but it evaporates eventually. Personally I would not seal it in a plastic bag either for long term storage unless you had some kind of dessicant material to place in the bag. The plastic bag will seal in existing moisture and prevent moisture from escaping. I would paint the block and then grease the cylinder walls, cam journals, bearing surfaces, lifter bores, and fuel pump rod hole. Then cover it with a sheet and hopefully keep it somewhere without large temperature fluctuations that will see lots of moisture being created.

My  :Twocents:

Bob

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on July 24, 2014, 05:33:22 AM
Some people use WD40 but it evaporates eventually. Personally I would not seal it in a plastic bag either for long term storage unless you had some kind of dessicant material to place in the bag. The plastic bag will seal in existing moisture and prevent moisture from escaping. I would paint the block and then grease the cylinder walls, cam journals, bearing surfaces, lifter bores, and fuel pump rod hole. Then cover it with a sheet and hopefully keep it somewhere without large temperature fluctuations that will see lots of moisture being created.

Thanks. The engine is completed already and on the stand. Should the spark plugs be removed and something sprayed in?

Ghoste

Yes.  I thought there was a product designed just for this but you definitely need something fogged in there.  :Twocents:

DC_1

Quote from: Bob on July 24, 2014, 06:09:27 AM
Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on July 24, 2014, 05:33:22 AM

Thanks. The engine is completed already and on the stand. Should the spark plugs be removed and something sprayed in?

Oh, Sorry, I thought it was not together yet and you were wanting to store the machined block.....my bad   :shruggy:

tan top

if it were me

remove or slacken off the rockers ,  so it will  release tension on the lifters (if hydraulic )  & valve springs & all valves close , squirt some engine oil in each bore , also  squirt wd40 in the bores too ,  ever so often  & turn the motor over with a breaker  bar every few weeks  . block up all holes / ports . & cover  whole motor .

when your ready to  use the motor , bring each cylinder up to TDC  blast some wd40 in there & give it a blow out  with compressed air ,  ( if new cam been fitted & not broken in  ! ) remove the intake , & check break in lube on cam & re apply if necessary  , make sure the lifters still move freely & not dry ,  fill the valley between the lifter bores up with oil so its just  trickling over the edge on to the cam , refit rockers , & intake , pre oil the motor as normal .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Bob

Quote from: tan top on July 24, 2014, 07:05:55 PM
if it were me

remove or slacken off the rockers ,  so it will  release tension on the lifters (if hydraulic )  & valve springs & all valves close , squirt some engine oil in each bore , also  squirt wd40 in the bores too ,  ever so often  & turn the motor over with a breaker  bar every few weeks  . block up all holes / ports . & cover  whole motor .

when your ready to  use the motor , bring each cylinder up to TDC  blast some wd40 in there & give it a blow out  with compressed air ,  ( if new cam been fitted & not broken in  ! ) remove the intake , & check break in lube on cam & re apply if necessary  , make sure the lifters still move freely & not dry ,  fill the valley between the lifter bores up with oil so its just  trickling over the edge on to the cam , refit rockers , & intake , pre oil the motor as normal .

Very good.
Thank you