News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A 833 - 18 or 23 spline

Started by Rubberduck, July 25, 2014, 10:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubberduck

Is the a possibility to determine from outside if the transmission is a 18 or 23 spline? Maybe casting number?
ยด68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

Troy

Not absolutely. Essentially the cases, tail housing, and bell housing were (mostly) all interchangeable so swapping the "guts" from one to another is fairly easy. If you're absolutely sure everything is still stock, you can use the VIN and part numbers stamped on the main case to give you an idea of what it was originally installed in. The 18 spline only came behind 440s and Hemis from 1966-1972. There's also some casting numbers on the various parts so the date code may give a clue as well (pretty much anything from 72-74 would be a 23 spline and anything later would be 23 spline overdrive). The later overdrive transmissions usually had an aluminum case so that could be a clear indicator.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

With the dust cover removed from the bottom of the bellhousing there should be enough of the input splines visible to determine which it is.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Troy

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 25, 2014, 12:29:58 PM

With the dust cover removed from the bottom of the bellhousing there should be enough of the input splines visible to determine which it is.
Before I had seen both, just looking at - and even trying to count - splines was no help. After seeing a few, I can tell just by looking at them. Might still be hard to do while crawling underneath - unless there's a lift handy. Isn't the throwout bearing larger too? Still not much help without something to compare to.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.