News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

gasket port matching on 440

Started by flashley18, March 17, 2006, 10:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashley18

I would like to match my ports on my intake and Headers to the ports on the head.  As far as the intake goes I believe you open the ports to the size of the gasket.  As far as the exhaust ports go I have been told to leave the floor where it is and only open up the sides and top of the port.

This is on a 440 stock head.

chargerbr549

On the intake ports I match them to the gasket, which you usually don't have to do much grinding on the 906 heads because they are pretty close. However on the exhaust be very careful because alot of your hedder gaskets are way too big, in fact I have had trouble with some hedder gaskets sealing because of that. It's been a while since I did mine but if I remember correctly I ended up using a Felpro exhaust manifiold gasket and opened up the port to that size because it was just a little bigger than the port and I left the port floor alone except for polishing, remember to be on the conservative side since most of us don't have a flow bench and less chance of hitting water.

Kevin

Chryco Psycho

I assume the heads are ported ?
you can open the intake up to gasket size , I agree to leave the floor alone on exhaust & widen & raise the port , a, lot of metal can be taken out of the wall where the bump is cast , outside of the end ports & inside of the middle ports to straighten out 

flashley18

No these heads are bone stock.  No porting.  I was going to go to a slightly larger exhaust valve,  keep the intake valve the same size and do the gasket matching.  I don't know enough about the porting to do anything else. 

If you can offer some suggestions I would certainly try.  I hope to move up to the Edelbrock or Indy Cylinder Heads in the next year or so.

Chryco Psycho

opening the ports in the intake to gasket size will create turbulence as the intake will be bigger then the stock head & leave a ridge hanging into the airflow , the header should already be larger then the head ports , Eddy intakes are notorius fro not having the ports line up with the heads  , I have seen intakes where even with a gasket match you need to weld 1/8 into the intake to line up the port as it is too far in one direction as cast 

flashley18

Oh great.  I did not realize that they could be that far off.  So I am assuming that I need to match both the head and the intake with the gasket or are you saying that it can create more problems??

firefighter3931

Both theheads and intake should be portmatched to the intake gasket for best results.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs