News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

please help me with my 69 steering column, going nuts!

Started by bobfist, July 08, 2014, 02:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

Im trying to figyre out what i have been doing wrong, i cant get the steering column to work.
I have two round parts showing in one of the pictures and i dont know where they should go.
I dont have the shifter connected to the transmission, and its a pain in the ass to shift.
When i put it in park the upper housing pops off...
Can someone show me how the column should be installed from the beginning....

www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

UFO

bobfist

looks like the spring 21-30-43 are missing what i can see
and is it the support under the washer i have on my pic?
Dosent look the same
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

bobfist

have  anyone seen the 21-30 -43 spring before? And what does it do
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Dino

Isn't that spring there to return the column shifter back to its 'parked' position?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Got me, I thought maybe it was to keep a little pressure on the lever itself.  :shruggy:

nvrbdn

i would have leaned toward a spring being the pressure on the horn contact plate. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

gtx6970

All the spring does is keep some pressure bwteeen the lower and middle column jackets,,to prevent a rattle.

If the upper shell is popping off your not getting the 2 square headed bolts locked in place on the jacket when tightening them down

jaak

Quote from: Dino on July 09, 2014, 08:51:49 AM
Isn't that spring there to return the column shifter back to its 'parked' position?

Yes (the 21-30-43 spring on the diagram). The shifter lever has to be removed to access it. Mine was broke in my column, keeping it from locking in park. I went to the local parts house and bought a small compression spring similar in size (for under a buck) It did the trick. I found the correct spring on eBay before, but it was like 15 or 20 bucks  :eek2:

Jason