News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory choke is flooding engine?

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, July 16, 2015, 06:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Seems as if my choke is flooding my engine on start up? I set the choke when the engine is cold, and when I start the car it runs rough unless I hit the gas about half throttle to "clean" out the gas then it seems to run ok still on the factory choke. When the engine is warm I knock the choke off and the car idles well. When the choke is set the choke butterfly is set tight against the carb with little air getting into the cold carb. Any suggestions are appreciated.

68 RT

What is the fast idle speed set at?

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: 68 RT on July 16, 2015, 10:48:40 AM
What is the fast idle speed set at?

I don't have a tach, but experience tells me around 1700 rpms

Sixt8Chrgr

John_Kunkel

How far is the pull-off opening the choke butterfly on initial startup? If you manually open the choke further than the pull-off opens it does it run smoother?

Sixt8Chrgr

John I may have spoken too soon. I will check the pull off in the morning. And also open the butterfly manually.

Thanks for the help

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 17, 2015, 01:11:57 PM
How far is the pull-off opening the choke butterfly on initial startup? If you manually open the choke further than the pull-off opens it does it run smoother?
Choke pull off works. What I have been doing is once the car starts just tap the gas and it seems to clean up and the fast idle stays on and seems to run ok.

ACUDANUT

What engine.? The only time I needed a choke was for a small block. :Twocents:

Sixt8Chrgr

Original 440 still in the car with the original intake and carb.

John_Kunkel

I believe either the choke is set too tight or the pull-off is weak.

What's happening on cold start is the fast idle speed is too high for the choke opening and it's flooding the motor, when you blip the throttle the fast idle drops to the next lower idle notch and that idle speed is compatible with the choke opening.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 10, 2015, 01:32:17 PM

I believe either the choke is set too tight or the pull-off is weak.

What's happening on cold start is the fast idle speed is too high for the choke opening and it's flooding the motor, when you blip the throttle the fast idle drops to the next lower idle notch and that idle speed is compatible with the choke opening.

John how do I fix it?

John_Kunkel

Download a FSM for your car, the choke and pull-off adjustments are covered in the FUEL section.

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109