News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

restoring hideaway headlights for the first time any advise

Started by sgt72charger, July 16, 2014, 08:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgt72charger

72 charger
ill post some pics up when i can get a hold of a camera
or off my cell

like the subject says attempting to restore them i broke everything down and im about to bring the housing and brackets to the media blaster and take the rust and what is left over black paint down to bare steel.

The chrome has some slight pitting and rust  seems to be restorable but it does have pitting so im thinking about just sanding it down and removing the remaining chrome and just polishing the metal or powder coating it chrome.
i work in a metal structure/weld shop so i have access to alot but just not to a chrome dip haha.
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

Ghoste

Is it chromed pot metal or something else?  If it's pot metal, be careful how you strip it because if you dunk it in a acid tank you may not be left with anything but the hangar. 

sgt72charger

the housing is pot metal and so is the covers.

im not dipping anything though
it will be sanded and polished or powder coated
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

CDN72SE

Mine were in pretty good shape; does have a bit of the usual pitting but not too bad and nothing broken. I used a dremel and a jewelers file for the pitting.
I had some NOS springs and the rest of the hardware I soaked in Evaporust.

Did some masking and used Eastwood's Underhood Black.

Added the DODGE emblem, going for a similar look to the 71 style.

Here's the grille surrounds:

Got the surrounds done, still need to polish the chrome, I'm happy with the results. Here's a couple pics.

another; used Mopar Argent Rallye wheel paint.

**Edit, after all that I decided to go with the '71 setup.

1972 Charger SE

sgt72charger

wow yours looks like brand new.
thanks for the pics.

my grill surrounding are all chrome no just the edge,  is that because of the year ? i have a 72.
also i just finished blasting all the black parts there is really deep pitting and i was studying the chrome bumper its really deeply pitting.
did you have your bumper re-chromed CDN72SE?  i dont want to spend the money sending it out right now thinking about sanding down and polishing my way all the way back up.  ive done it before but the labor makes me want to just powder coat it.
Sgt Burgos K.J.  USMC
/Oo ___A___ oO\
|=_/________\=|

CDN72SE

Thanks sgt, the grille surrounds are from a '72 which are the same as a '71. Sounds like the Argent silver paint has come off yours.
I had some pitting, I removed all the rust and then sprayed some of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator followed by their Chassis Black for a nice tough exterior.                                                   
I had my bumpers rechromed years ago but never installed as my car is not roadworthy yet. Since you've done the sanding and polishing before and know what's involved maybe that's the way to go for now. Maybe powdercoat and then paint to match the body color.

Keep us posted with what you do to bring them back to life.
1972 Charger SE